Follow us on Twitter X-Cart on Facebook Wiki
Shopping cart software Solutions for online shops and malls

Search box with dropdown

X-Cart forums > X-Cart 4 > Dev Questions > Changing design

Old 03-13-2011, 11:55 PM

Advanced Member

Default Search box with dropdown

Hi there,

I am looking to see whether I can put in a dropdown box from the default search box containing pre-selected searches on the homepage? Basically customers can then either enter free text for a search or choose from a specific search which I have chosen via the dropdown...

Any help would be appreciated, thanks.
Old 03-14-2011, 03:07 AM

X-Adept

Default Re: Search box with dropdown

The template file responsible for the search box is customer/search.tpl template file:

Code:
<div class="search"> <div class="valign-middle"> <form method="post" action="search.php" name="productsearchform"> <input type="hidden" name="simple_search" value="Y" /> <input type="hidden" name="mode" value="search" /> <input type="hidden" name="posted_data[by_title]" value="Y" /> <input type="hidden" name="posted_data[by_descr]" value="Y" /> <input type="hidden" name="posted_data[by_sku]" value="Y" /> <input type="hidden" name="posted_data[search_in_subcategories]" value="Y" /> <input type="hidden" name="posted_data[including]" value="all" /> {strip} <input type="text" name="posted_data[substring]" class="text{if not $search_prefilled.substring} default-value{/if}" value="{$search_prefilled.substring|default:$lng.lbl_search|escape}" /> {include file="customer/buttons/button.tpl" type="input" style="image"} <a href="search.php" class="search">{$lng.lbl_advanced_search}</a> {/strip} </form> </div> </div>

In red color is the code for the display of the input text control. I guess you could replace the text type input with a select input (or add beside it so you could have both a text input and a drop-down input), something like:

Code:
<select name="posted_data[substring]" class="text{if not $search_prefilled.substring} default-value{/if}" value="{$search_prefilled.substring|default:$lng.lbl_search|escape}" /> <option>option 1</option> <option>option 2</option> <option>option 3</option> .................................. .................................. </select>

I hope, it works out for you...
Old 03-14-2011, 11:51 AM

Advanced Member

Default Re: Search box with dropdown

Hi,

Thanks a lot for the reply. That looks like just the ticket. I will be implementing this soon.

Regards.
   X-Cart forums > X-Cart 4 > Dev Questions > Changing design