Follow us on Twitter X-Cart on Facebook Wiki
Shopping cart software Solutions for online shops and malls

Where is the "welcome" template of main page?

X-Cart forums > X-Cart 4 > Dev Questions > Changing design

Old 11-05-2002, 04:42 AM

X-Adept

Default Where is the "welcome" template of main page?

I read this thread (http://forum.x-cart.com/viewtopic.php?t=558&highlight=), but I cannot find this template. I want to edit the main paragraph on the opening page of my store.
Old 11-05-2002, 05:01 AM

X-Man

you will find this by going into the languages settings in the admin centre editing the language that you want (english) and selecting text.

The field that you change is the txt_welcome field on page 4.

Funkydunk
Old 11-05-2002, 05:23 AM

Default TOOK ME AGES TO FIND IT - IT IS NOT IN A TEMPLATE!!

I bet like me you have hunted high and low for the opening statement - it is not in a template it is in the languages section:
called: txt_welcome
this message starts with "to

as the welcome bit inserts the users name if you want that
you can find that bit as a template:
/customer/main/welcome.tpl

to find this very elusive test item follow these steps:
1. open languages
2. select English from the drop down
3. select text from the next drop down
4. go to page 5 and look for txt_welcome (it is highlighted in the code snippet below)

you can embed html in the text and it can be as long as you like - pity they did not mention this in their faq or manual as it would have saved me the best part of a day hunting high and low for the non-existent template!!

the "welcome to" bit is controlled via the welcome.tpl
as this code snippet indicates:
Code:
{if ($active_modules.Greet_Visitor ne "") AND ($smarty.cookies.GreetingCookie ne "")} <font face="Arial, Helvetica" size="2">{$lng.lbl_welcome_back}, {$smarty.cookies.GreetingCookie} </font> {else} <font face="Arial, Helvetica" size="2">{$lng.lbl_welcome_to} { $config.Company.company_name }</font> {/if} {$lng.txt_welcome}

hope this helps - just persevere with it and it should become clear - but my advice is that once you have figured it out you put a big readme in a folder in xcart as it took me as long to find it the second time as the first!!

Chris
Old 11-05-2002, 05:32 AM

X-Adept

jeesh! I'm glad I asked. I spent at least 4 hours looking for it, even running searches through the files...thanks again!!!

Also, for what it's worth (for the hunters out there), my "txt_welcome" was on page 4.
Old 11-05-2002, 05:47 AM

X-Adept

Well, I feel stupid asking this, but where do I edit the first line? "Welcome to X-CART" I nailed the other part... :P
Old 11-05-2002, 06:01 AM

Default how to change the welcome to bit ...

If you look at the code snippet in my previous reply you will find 2 language fields - in this case they are labels so this time you will have to search through 15 pages !!

look for lbl_welcome_back - this is used to greet an existing user who has previously registered,

if on the other hand the visitor has not registered then the label is:
lbl_welcome_to

My advice is that you play around with these two and check them against both conditions: logged in and not previously logged in - you will soon get the hang of it.

Chris
Old 11-05-2002, 06:17 AM

eXpert

Need to edit these:
txt_site_title (languages-text)
txt_welcome (languages-text)

To get familiar with the program you need to really take time looking all around the languages section. It includes the text, labels, email text, and error text for the cart.

Also in the General Settings there are several options in the dropdown
Company options, General options, Paypal options, Shipping options, PGP, modules,etc These also must be reviewed.

Shipping is done in several locations. Under the General Settings on the right, and on the left there is the Shipping methods, shipping options, Shipping charges, and shipping/tax zones (for zone based shipping).

I found that after really taking time to look at all of the admin sections, you can get a real feel of the layout and just how this all works. Just remember that just about everything in the entire cart can be changed. You just have to know how it all interrelates to everything. Also a bit of php and mysql knowledge helps understand the language to be able to follow along with it enough to have an idea of what it is doing.
Old 11-05-2002, 07:33 AM

X-Adept

Thanks again. I will look more through all the files for future posts. Thanks though.
   X-Cart forums > X-Cart 4 > Dev Questions > Changing design