Follow us on Twitter X-Cart on Facebook Wiki
Shopping cart software Solutions for online shops and malls

New X-Cart add-on: X-Survey

X-Cart forums > News and Announcements

Old 08-07-2006, 02:10 AM

X-Cart team

Default New X-Cart add-on: X-Survey

Dear friends,

We are glad to announce that a new add-on module for X-Cart - X-Survey - is about to be released. This add-on module is intended for creation of customer surveys and polls on X-Cart-based websites. We would like to let you have a preview of what has been completed and hope that you might have some comments/suggestions that will enable us to polish it up for the final release.
You can learn more about X-Survey here: http://www.x-cart.com/survey_software.html (Online demo available).
Please feel free to post your suggestions regarding this add-on using the form on this page.
Old 09-06-2006, 06:12 AM

Default Re: New X-Cart add-on: X-Survey

I had a look and posted a comment. It looks great. But will it really only be available for xcart 4.1.3 and above? Why is this?
Old 09-06-2006, 08:09 AM

X-Guru

Quote:
But will it really only be available for xcart 4.1.3 and above? Why is this?
Why shouldn't new development only be for the new branch? Why should the developers waste their time on backwards compatibility? DO you know how much of WinXP is code so that programs written in 1996 can still run? I have read that as much as 60% of the OS is dedicated to legacy. That's Millions of lines of code...

I applaud X-cart for making this call... the sooner a critical mass adopts the new codebase, the sooner we will look at 4.0 as "legacy"
Old 09-06-2006, 01:42 PM

Xcart engineers are more than capable of writing code that is not bloated. And I couldn't disagree with you more. A great many live shops are run on 4.0.x strand versions and could benefit from a survey/poll mod. These shops are stable, and make money. There is no reason to deprive them of service.

Xcart 4.0.19 was released one month ago and cannot be compared with DOS or Windows98.
Old 09-15-2006, 04:03 PM

X-Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by carpeperdiem
Why shouldn't new development only be for the new branch? Why should the developers waste their time on backwards compatibility? DO you know how much of WinXP is code so that programs written in 1996 can still run? I have read that as much as 60% of the OS is dedicated to legacy. That's Millions of lines of code...

I applaud X-cart for making this call... the sooner a critical mass adopts the new codebase, the sooner we will look at 4.0 as "legacy"

Unfortunately that's a very very naive way to look at it. X-cart can't be upraded like a switch once you've changed it, there are thousands and I do mean thousands of x-cart sites out there running VERY large websites on x-cart 3 all the way through to x-cart 4, moving from a 3.X site to a 4.X site on a search engine positioned multi level marketed site isn't something you can do lightly.

Win XP does run old code for just that reason. Doing many of the x-cart add ons for x-cart 3 and 4 from x-carts point of view is not a huge undertaking, for example zoomify, affiliate, survey nothing in these is so directly tied to the 4.1.X that they can't easily be done for the lower two branches at least.

I mean come on we've got around 30 purchased x-cart licenses alone, many still run on x-cart 3, why? Because it works, because the sites make money, would I like to add x-survey to many of them? Hell yes I jumped straight in here for that reason.

I know we won't be upgrading many of these sites to 4.1.X for a very long time which is unfortunate because we'd love to add some of the x-cart add ons to the sites. It's a user base that x-cart already has which is being ignored when new add ons are made which is a real shame.

Used by X-carters the world over:
Marketing Manager Pro Bundle For X-cart
Featured Product Manager for X-cart
Feed manager pro for X-cart

http://www.firetanksoftware.com

Celebrating 7 Years of providing quality X-cart Add ons and X-cart Mods for x-cart 3.X to X-cart 4.4.X
Old 09-21-2006, 12:59 AM

X-Cart team

X-Survey addon for X-Cart 4.1.3 has been released.
Old 09-21-2006, 01:04 AM

X-Adept

Is this addon multi language? Can it be used in combination with two languages?

Just checked the main site. There is still a comming soon message.

X-Cart Gold 4.1.8 (Live & Loaded)
Royal Bhaktapur: Handmade products from Nepal - Pashmina's, scarfs, shawls, stola's and more...
Old 09-21-2006, 01:07 AM

X-Cart team

The website is being updated.
Yes, X-Survey has multilingual support.

Edited: website and online demo have been updated
   X-Cart forums > News and Announcements