Follow us on Twitter X-Cart on Facebook Wiki
Shopping cart software Solutions for online shops and malls

BCSE Reward Points - Strategy and Implementation discussion

X-Cart forums > X-Cart 4 > Third Party Add-Ons for X-Cart 4

Old 05-15-2009, 02:05 PM

Advanced Member

Default Re: BCSE Reward Points - Strategy and Implementation discussion

Thanks for the ideas and tips carpeperdiem. I'm attempting to get the points to show in the special instructions field at Checkout. I am not using the One Page checkout mod. However, when I put in the code to the special instructions field, it strips out any html and prints "{$points}" instead of inserting the point value. Anyone else have this issue?

We implemented the Customer Reward points mod a couple of months ago, but no one has really used it yet. I'd like to use your tips to make it more prominent and remind customers they have the option. At the bottom of the Order Invoice emails I'm also going to put a graphical box that says "You have xx points, worth $xx.xx to use toward your next purchase". I'm hoping if I tell them the dollar value of their points it might give them more incentive to use them. Anyone know what variable I need to call to show the $ value?

One other idea I had is to start a Points Store. Here I'll have some promo items, like T-Shirts, USB drives, and then some cool gadgets like an iPod, GPS unit, etc. Each of these items can only be purchased with points. We do a lot of business with B2B, so it might give the parts purchaser some incentive to buy from us if he can work towards an iPod for himself. I've gotten a quote for this from BCS, just haven't wanted to pay the cash to do it yet.
Old 05-15-2009, 05:43 PM

X-Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by lizlee00
One other idea I had is to start a Points Store

GREAT idea. We may be able to do this with OnSale -- maybe... ?? I'll try it out next week...
Old 05-18-2009, 08:32 AM

Advanced Member

Quote:
However, when I put in the code to the special instructions field, it strips out any html and prints "{$points}" instead of inserting the point value.
I was using the wrong template to accept the variable. If using Fast Lane Checkout, you will need to modify modules/Fast_Lane_Checkout/checkout_2_method.tpl. Find:
Code:
<td width="80%">{$payment.payment_details}</td>
And replace with:
Code:
{* <td width="80%">{$payment.payment_details}</td> *} {eval var=$payment.payment_details assign="paydtls"} <td width="80%">{$paydtls}</td>

Let me know if you come up with anything utilizing the On Sale mod for the points store, I am very interested to see your results.
Old 01-19-2013, 06:51 AM

X-Guru

SO --- 4 years later...

Many concepts discussed here still work or needed some tweaks -- but there are some fundamental differences in 4.5.4 goldplus.

I have the new files from BCSE. basic points system is working great. Allowing the cust and admin to view points history is a needed feature. I did a zillion template edits. Loving it. Customers are happy.

Now, I am just getting to integrating the referral mod. I have 4 immediate issues:

1. login redirect issue(s) with crp_referral.php

On page: /crp_referral.php
a) A customer who is not logged in is given the opportunity to login (good)
b) Upon successful login, customer is redirected to /register.php?mode=update (not good)

IF a customer logs in from /crp_referral.php, they MUST be returned to /crp_referral.php

Anyone have an idea how to do this? It's obviously an edit to /include/register.php
But I am not good enough with php to figure this out.

Carrie? For version 4.5.4 gold plus, how do we tell /include/register.php:
if customer logged in from crp_referral.php, then redirect back to crp_referral.php ?

2. Additionally, we will add a link for a new customer registration on page:

/skin/common_files/modules/BCSE_Reward_Points/crp_referral_cust.tpl

SO if a customer comes to "refer a friend" - they will have the option to either login (and redirect back to the referral page), or register. Can we automate the return to crp_referral.php after a new registration? Is php smart enough to know that a new customer started on page: crp_referral.php, and once they submit their registration info, to redirect them back to where they came from? If so, I WANT TO DO THAT TOO!

3. How to integrate the stock "tell-a-friend" tab into BCSE referral.

My issue here is that the stock tell-a-friend is product specific, but BCSE referral is a global, "I like this store".

What makes this tricky: BCSE referral requires registration, but tell-a-friend tab does not. If we simply "link" the tell-a-friend tab to crp_referral.php, we take the customer away from the product page. This is less than ideal. BUT on the other hand, this give us an opportunity to encourage registration, give the customer points, engage them on a higher level.

Is there a way to preserve the product page and add the product page link to the outgoing tell-a-friend message? In a way, this is related to #2, and also #4 below... ?

I have no way of knowing if my customers use the tell-a-friend tab feature. I guess it will be in the raw server logs, right?

4. crp_referral "message" -- does not work in the new version.

The input field: <textarea name="message" class="bcse_message"></textarea> is supposed to be included in skin/common_files/mail/html/crp_referral.tpl -- but the message field is not getting to the template. Is there something missing from /common_files/modules/BCSE_Reward_Points/crp_referral_cust.tpl

that is preventing the "message" from getting to the mail template?

--------------

I know this is a lot of stuff, but tell-a-friend points is an important part of social networking -- we already have facebook integration -- this is how we monetize the facebook likes - but if it's too complicated for the customer, it's useless.

If anyone has lived through this, please share?

Thanks,

Jeremy
Old 01-19-2013, 06:19 PM

X-Guru

Jeremy,

Did you put in a ticket with us? I don't see how I could have the guys debug it from in here.

Carrie

We support X-cart versions 3.x through 5.x!

Home of the famous Authorize.net DPM & CIM Modules, Reward Points Module, Point of Sale module, Speed Booster modules and more!

Over 200 X-cart Mods available & Thousands of Customizations Since 2002 - bcsengineering.com

Please E-Mail us for questions/support!
Old 01-19-2013, 06:25 PM

X-Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCSE
Jeremy,

Did you put in a ticket with us?

Hi Carrie,

My post wasn't intended for you on a Saturday night! But since you asked, yes... a reply to an open ticket on the CRP upgrade was sent earlier today. I can PM the ticket # if you can't find it.

Thanks for jumping in.

PS -- the points system is totally rocking! Hopefully, we can get review points working with Advanced Customer Reviews soon? That plus the tell-a-friend and this is gonna be amazing.

J
Old 01-19-2013, 06:30 PM

X-Guru

Not a problem Jeremy. I normally try not to work on weekends because I used to be so 'addicted' to doing so and I try to reserve that time for my 3 kids, but I had promised 2 clients to get something done today so I was checking in on their stuff when I saw this. Glad you sent in a reply. The guys should see it on Monday then.

Glad to hear it's doing great for you. Do you mean have it work with X-cart's review system or our advanced review system?

thanks,

Carrie

We support X-cart versions 3.x through 5.x!

Home of the famous Authorize.net DPM & CIM Modules, Reward Points Module, Point of Sale module, Speed Booster modules and more!

Over 200 X-cart Mods available & Thousands of Customizations Since 2002 - bcsengineering.com

Please E-Mail us for questions/support!
Old 01-19-2013, 06:52 PM

X-Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCSE
I normally try not to work on weekends because I used to be so 'addicted' to doing so and I try to reserve that time for my 3 kids
Me too. Go look up the email and look what I wrote to you this morning...

Quote:
Do you mean have it work with X-cart's review system or our advanced review system?
Advanced Customer Reviews by x-cart, as bundled (stock out of the box) in 4.5.4 gold plus.

I own your review approval bundle (not the super advanced mega-version), but since x-cart was including their ACR version with goldplus, I chose to use it. And it's very good. And the engineer who is responsible for it (Karina) is actively working on improving it. I am very pleased with the performance and features. You should give it a try (in your spare time).

admin:
http://demo.x-cart.com/demo_goldplus/admin/configuration.php?option=Advanced_Customer_Reviews

customer:
http://demo.x-cart.com/demo_goldplus/reviews.php?productid=17525&cat=244

However, the BCSE crp-review points mod for 4.5.4 does not support x-cart's ACR. I shared this with Gary back in November. I sent him a reminder email today. Hopefully there is some movement towards integration? If you need me to PM the open tickets, I'll be happy to.

Thanks for jumping in.

J
Old 01-22-2013, 04:01 PM

X-Guru

Anyone reading this... do you know how to add an html "page title" tag to crp_referral.php ?

It does not register with CDSEO so can't do it there...
Can we force an html page title in there somewhere? While we're at it, all the standard html meta tags?
   X-Cart forums > X-Cart 4 > Third Party Add-Ons for X-Cart 4