Follow us on Twitter X-Cart on Facebook Wiki
Shopping cart software Solutions for online shops and malls

extended order status with email notifications

X-Cart forums > X-Cart 4 > Dev Questions

Old 12-03-2005, 02:52 PM

eXpert

We have worked to personalize our business as much as possible, so I've played around with the e-mails to make them easier to edit the messages being given to the customer. I also took the invoices out of the e-mails because they were redundant. The e-mail already had the ordered item information in it.

I used two new language labels in each e-mail. One for the general text, and one for a signature (eml_order_status_signature) that was consistent throughout all the e-mails.

Create a new csv to be imported into languages, or add it to the lng.txt.csv from above. This can be used as a starting point for your language lable text:

Code:
eml_order_status_signature,Orders department,Orders department,E-Mail eml_oc_cancelled_text,I wanted to let you know that your order has been successfully been cancelled.,"I wanted to let you know that your order has successfully been cancelled. If there is anything that I can do for you further, please do not hesitate to contact me.",E-Mail eml_oc_back_in_stock_text,I wanted to drop you this note to let you know that your backordered items are back in stock.,"I wanted to drop you this note to let you know that your backordered items are back in stock and will soon be shipped. We will e-mail you your tracking numbers as soon as we receive them from the shipper. If you have any further questions or concerns, please do not hesitate to contact me.",E-Mail eml_oc_backordered_text,I wanted to drop you this note to let you know that your order is backordered.,"I wanted to drop you this note to let you know that your order is backordered. We will ship your items as soon as they are back in stock. If you have any questions or concerns, please do not hesitate to contact me.",E-Mail eml_oc_process_return_text,I wanted to drop you this note to let you know that your return is being processed.,I wanted to drop you this note to let you know that your return is being processed.,E-Mail eml_oc_shipping_text,I wanted to drop you this note to let you know that your order has been processed for shipping.,I wanted to drop you this note to let you know that your order has been processed for shipping.,E-Mail eml_oc_customer_refunded_text,"I wanted to drop you this note to let you know that your return has been processed, and a credit has been issued.","I wanted to drop you this note to let you know that your return has been processed, and a credit has been issues. ",E-Mail

now use these .tpl's for the e-mails:

order_customer_back_in_stock.tpl

Code:
{* mod.extended.order.status templates - order_customer_back_in_stock.tpl *} {* arthur: x-light *} {* work derived from Ruslan R. Fazliev, www.x-cart.com *} {* version 1.00, 4/09/05 *} {config_load file="$skin_config"} {include file="mail/html/mail_header.tpl"} {$lng.lbl_dear} {$customer.firstname} {$customer.lastname}, {$lng.eml_oc_back_in_stock_text} {$lng.eml_order_status_signature} <HR size="1" noshade> <TABLE border="0" cellpadding="2" cellspacing="1" width="100%"> <TR> <TD width="20%">{$lng.lbl_order_id}:</TD> <TD width="10"></TD> <TD width="80%"><TT>#{$order.orderid}</TT></TD> </TR> <TR> <TD>{$lng.lbl_order_date}:</TD> <TD width="10"></TD> <TD><TT>{$order.date|date_format:$config.Appearance.datetime_format}</TT></TD> </TR> {if $order.tracking} <TR> <TD>{$lng.lbl_tracking_number}:</TD> <TD width="10"></TD> <TD><TT>{$order.tracking}</TT></TD> </TR> {/if} <TR> <TD colspan="3">{include file="mail/html/order_data.tpl"}</TD> </TR> </TABLE> {include file="mail/html/order_invoice.tpl"} {include file="mail/html/signature.tpl"}

order_customer_backordered_tpl

Code:
{* mod.extended.order.status templates - order_customer_backordered.tpl *} {* arthur: x-light *} {* work derived from Ruslan R. Fazliev, www.x-cart.com *} {* version 1.00, 4/08/05 *} {config_load file="$skin_config"} {include file="mail/html/mail_header.tpl"} {$lng.lbl_dear} {$customer.title} {$customer.firstname} {$customer.lastname}, {$lng.eml_oc_backordered_text} {$lng.eml_order_status_signature} <HR size="1" noshade> <TABLE border="0" cellpadding="2" cellspacing="1" width="100%"> <TR> <TD width="20%">{$lng.lbl_order_id}:</TD> <TD width="10"></TD> <TD width="80%"><TT>#{$order.orderid}</TT></TD> </TR> <TR> <TD>{$lng.lbl_order_date}:</TD> <TD width="10"></TD> <TD><TT>{$order.date|date_format:$config.Appearance.datetime_format}</TT></TD> </TR> {if $order.tracking} <TR> <TD>{$lng.lbl_tracking_number}:</TD> <TD width="10"></TD> <TD><TT>{$order.tracking}</TT></TD> </TR> {/if} <TR> <TD colspan="3">{include file="mail/html/order_data.tpl"}</TD> </TR> </TABLE> {include file="mail/html/signature.tpl"}

order_customer_cancelled.tpl

Code:
{* mod.extended.order.status templates - order_customer_cancelled.tpl *} {* arthur: x-light *} {* work derived from Ruslan R. Fazliev, www.x-cart.com *} {* version 1.00, 4/08/05 *} {config_load file="$skin_config"} {include file="mail/html/mail_header.tpl"} {$lng.lbl_dear} {$customer.firstname} {$customer.lastname}, {$lng.eml_oc_cancelled_text} {$lng.eml_order_status_signature} <HR size="1" noshade> <TABLE border="0" cellpadding="2" cellspacing="1" width="100%"> <TR> <TD width="20%">{$lng.lbl_order_id}:</TD> <TD width="10"></TD> <TD width="80%"><TT>#{$order.orderid}</TT></TD> </TR> <TR> <TD>{$lng.lbl_order_date}:</TD> <TD width="10"></TD> <TD><TT>{$order.date|date_format:$config.Appearance.datetime_format}</TT></TD> </TR> <TR> <TD colspan="3">{include file="mail/html/order_data.tpl"}</TD> </TR> </TABLE> {include file="mail/html/signature.tpl"}

order_customer_process_return.tpl

Code:
{* mod.extended.order.status templates - order_customer_process_return.tpl *} {* arthur: x-light *} {* work derived from Ruslan R. Fazliev, www.x-cart.com *} {* version 1.00, 4/08/05 *} {config_load file="$skin_config"} {include file="mail/html/mail_header.tpl"} {$lng.lbl_dear} {$customer.title} {$customer.firstname} {$customer.lastname}, {$lng.eml_oc_process_return_text} {$lng.eml_order_status_signature} <HR size="1" noshade> <TABLE border="0" cellpadding="2" cellspacing="1" width="100%"> <TR> <TD width="20%">{$lng.lbl_order_id}:</TD> <TD width="10"></TD> <TD width="80%"><TT>#{$order.orderid}</TT></TD> </TR> <TR> <TD>{$lng.lbl_order_date}:</TD> <TD width="10"></TD> <TD><TT>{$order.date|date_format:$config.Appearance.datetime_format}</TT></TD> </TR> {if $order.tracking} <TR> <TD>{$lng.lbl_tracking_number}:</TD> <TD width="10"></TD> <TD><TT>{$order.tracking}</TT></TD> </TR> {/if} <TR> <TD colspan="3">{include file="mail/html/order_data.tpl"}</TD> </TR> </TABLE> {include file="mail/html/signature.tpl"}

order_customer_process_shipping.tpl

Code:
{* mod.extended.order.status templates - order_customer_process_shipping.tpl *} {* arthur: x-light *} {* work derived from Ruslan R. Fazliev, www.x-cart.com *} {* version 1.00, 4/08/05 *} {config_load file="$skin_config"} {include file="mail/html/mail_header.tpl"} {$lng.lbl_dear} {$customer.title} {$customer.firstname} {$customer.lastname}, {$lng.eml_oc_cancelled_text} {$lng.eml_order_status_signature} <HR size="1" noshade> <TABLE border="0" cellpadding="2" cellspacing="1" width="100%"> <TR> <TD width="20%">{$lng.lbl_order_id}:</TD> <TD width="10"></TD> <TD width="80%"><TT>#{$order.orderid}</TT></TD> </TR> <TR> <TD>{$lng.lbl_order_date}:</TD> <TD width="10"></TD> <TD><TT>{$order.date|date_format:$config.Appearance.datetime_format}</TT></TD> </TR> {if $order.tracking} <TR> <TD>{$lng.lbl_tracking_number}:</TD> <TD width="10"></TD> <TD><TT>{$order.tracking}</TT></TD> </TR> {/if} <TR> <TD colspan="3">{include file="mail/html/order_data.tpl"}</TD> </TR> </TABLE> {include file="mail/html/signature.tpl"}

order_customer_refunded.tpl

Code:
{* mod.extended.order.status templates - order_customer_refunded.tpl *} {* arthur: x-light *} {* work derived from Ruslan R. Fazliev, www.x-cart.com *} {* version 1.00, 4/08/05 *} {config_load file="$skin_config"} {include file="mail/html/mail_header.tpl"} {$lng.lbl_dear} {$customer.firstname} {$customer.lastname}, {$lng.eml_oc_customer_refunded_text} {$lng.eml_order_status_signature} <HR size="1" noshade> <TABLE border="0" cellpadding="2" cellspacing="1" width="100%"> <TR> <TD width="20%">{$lng.lbl_order_id}:</TD> <TD width="10"></TD> <TD width="80%"><TT>#{$order.orderid}</TT></TD> </TR> <TR> <TD>{$lng.lbl_order_date}:</TD> <TD width="10"></TD> <TD><TT>{$order.date|date_format:$config.Appearance.datetime_format}</TT></TD> </TR> {if $order.tracking} <TR> <TD>{$lng.lbl_tracking_number}:</TD> <TD width="10"></TD> <TD><TT>{$order.tracking}</TT></TD> </TR> {/if} <TR> <TD colspan="3">{include file="mail/html/order_data.tpl"}</TD> </TR> </TABLE> {include file="mail/html/signature.tpl"}

here is an example of the results of the language labels:

Quote:
Dear John Doe,

I wanted to let you know that your order has successfully been cancelled. If there is anything that I can do for you further, please do not hesitate to contact me.

Have a great day,

Nancy Doe
Personal Account Representative
Widgets, Inc.
nancy@widgets.com

I have changed all of my customer e-mails to use this two language label method so I can quickly change either the message being given to customers or the signature through the languages section in the admin, while keeping the look consistent.

Please look through the language csv before uploading to alter it to your needs. I also make no promises about spelling.

I hope some find this helpful!

A big thanks to x-ligh for sharing this great mod!!!!

The following user thanks HWT for this useful post:
Raptor (01-10-2013)
Old 12-04-2005, 05:39 AM

X-Man

x-cart so need to take a good look at this post, 4.1 should have this by default.

The declined status is a classic example, it always causes customers offence, the mod above is an excellent way of showing how it should be implemented.

Very well done

Used by X-carters the world over:
Marketing Manager Pro Bundle For X-cart
Featured Product Manager for X-cart
Feed manager pro for X-cart

http://www.firetanksoftware.com

Celebrating 7 Years of providing quality X-cart Add ons and X-cart Mods for x-cart 3.X to X-cart 4.4.X
Old 12-04-2005, 04:30 PM

Just to let you know this works ok on 4.0.17 as well. The func.php was as described in the above text file.

Shop carts at
http://www.nightscene.co.uk/shop/home.php
http://www.theshisha.net/shopcart/home.php
http://www.system-maintenance.com/maint/home.php
http://www.tabac4u.com
Old 12-04-2005, 04:36 PM

eXpert

Just a quick question for x-light.

In the text of order_admin_failed.tpl you have:

Quote:
[*]list reason 1 [*]list reason 2

and in the text in order_customer_refunded.tpl you have:

Quote:
_blank_

What are these supposed to do, and how did you use them effectively?

Thanks!
Old 12-04-2005, 04:49 PM

You would enter your own text, mine was:

order_admin_failed.tpl :

[*]You did not complete your order [*]You canceled your order before paying

order_customer_refunded.tpl:

I wanted to drop you this note to let you know that your return has been processed, and a credit has been issued

Shop carts at
http://www.nightscene.co.uk/shop/home.php
http://www.theshisha.net/shopcart/home.php
http://www.system-maintenance.com/maint/home.php
http://www.tabac4u.com
Old 12-04-2005, 05:08 PM

Hello all,

Sorry, I didn't get a chance to respond to this thread recently. Been extremely busy lately with multiple projects. I am very delighted that people are finding this mod useful. I implemented this mod to my store as well and it does work great! HWT, many thanks for adding the language contents to the other order status. Keep up the good work, everyone!

BTW, I will be sending a post regarding my first live store. Would appreciate it if I can get some feedbacks.

~x-light
Old 12-04-2005, 05:59 PM

eXpert

That's what I figured, ShishaPipeUK. What caught me was that the _blank_ was in the middle of the sentance, and unless you have a 1 item or 1 price shop, it would have to be dyanmically generated somehow.

Quote:

your return has been accepted, a credit of _blank_ has been issued to you
Old 12-10-2005, 12:00 PM

Advanced Member

I was able to install the mod,
But as admin I am able to received emails but not the customer,

which file should I take a look at
Old 12-20-2005, 12:15 PM

Advanced Member

I am now able to send emails to cutomers but they receive them the next day, how do I fix that,
As admin I am able to receive mine immediately the order is placed, but the customers receive it the day after.
Is there a file I have to fix.
Old 12-22-2005, 02:36 AM

Quote:
Is there a file I have to fix.

If you are able to receive email on the admin side, you should definitely able to receive email on the customer side. This is because both type of notifications uses the same function call to send the email. So I think there should be nothing wrong this the script.

Maybe this is a host related issue and your host can help you out more. Good luck.

~x-light
   X-Cart forums > X-Cart 4 > Dev Questions