Follow us on Twitter X-Cart on Facebook Wiki
Shopping cart software Solutions for online shops and malls

LiteCommerce v3 Preview

X-Cart forums > News and Announcements

Old 05-22-2010, 03:10 AM

X-Man

Default Re: LiteCommerce v3 Preview

I have noticed that all the replies are from Litecommerce users. Is it perhaps the thread title putting off the X-Cart users from reading the thread and discovering the plan for X-Cart 5, or are they all happy?

I wonder if the title can be changed to include X-Cart5.
Old 05-22-2010, 03:28 AM

X-Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by kulture
I have noticed that all the replies are from Litecommerce users. Is it perhaps the thread title putting off the X-Cart users from reading the thread and discovering the plan for X-Cart 5, or are they all happy?

I wonder if the title can be changed to include X-Cart5.

I've been watching the thread, but I'm not all to concerned with releases that aren't titled "xcart 5".
Once a business is established with a major cart version, generally upgrading to a different major version or entirely switching is not a good option.

All I really see from LC v3 is a platform for new people to the software and future customers. Granted I don't see why LC3 was released... As someone previously said, there's just way to many things qualiteam is developing.
Old 05-22-2010, 07:09 AM

Veteran

Yes I read the thread when it started but I am not interested in LC so had nothing to say about it. Ruslan mentioned this is an early preview of xcart5 but when I looked at it there is not much to comment. I too am not sure why QT is spread on some many fronts and keeps puching back release dates instead of putting 90% of its resources to get xcart5 done.
Old 05-22-2010, 08:33 AM

X-Man

I would like to know who will take the knowledges advantage with the new platform. An X-Cart user or a LiteCommerce one?

May I see this new platform working, LiteCommerce v3? Will it be hard to migrate to upcoming X5 from X-Cart v4.4?
OS in use: Red Hat Enterprise, Fedora, CentOS, Debian, Ubuntu, Linux Mint, Kali Linux
Ideas for Server configuration (basicaly): Nginx/Pound (reverse proxy), Apache/Nginx (webserver), Squid/Varnish (cache server), HHVM or (PHP-FPM + PHP 5.6 + opcache), MariaDB/Percona MySQL Server, Redis (storing sessions)

You can catch my ideas here: http://ideas.x-cart.com
Old 05-22-2010, 11:28 AM

X-Man

I guess the questions that I would ask if I were on xcart 4.x would be when will xcart 5 come out; when will the support for xcart 4.x cease; and is drupal necessary (i.e. how much functionality depends on drupal)?

To say that LCv3 and xcart 5 are just for new customers is a bit short sighted. Qualiteam cannot continue to support 4 carts forever so the older carts will eventually get abandoned. If enough xcart users feel that this is going the wrong way then now is the time to stand up and say so, before Qualiteam go too far down a one-way road. Likewise if xcart users like this direction then they should also say so. It is clear that Qualiteam do not consider too highly the opinion of LC users. Xcart users however are a much larger population and if a significant percentage do not like this new platform then they will no doubt find an alternative solution, and this is in no-one's interest.

I still think that it is not at all clear that this is the basis for the new xcart, and even less clear what dupral brings and what the cart will be without it.
Old 05-22-2010, 02:51 PM

X-Wizard

Quote:
I still think that it is not at all clear that this is the basis for the new xcart

It's clear, unless you don't take the CEO and Director of Marketing at their word:

Quote:
and speaking of X-Cart version 5, you can treat LC v3 as the first sign of upcoming X-Cart V5. Because they will share the platform and will only be different in the number of features.
Quote:
LiteCommerce v3 is the first step towards a single ecommerce platform written in PHP. We plan to use it for all future PHP ecommerce solutions. "X-Cart 5" will be a paid solution built on that platform when it goes out of alpha/beta stage.

It seems unreasonable to demand all the improvements for V5 and not expect significant changes in its architecture. That does not mean it is only for new customers - it just means we should not expect easy upgrades from 4 to 5. And, if you are looking towards V5 - it also opens the door to you to consider other platforms.

It does not seem QT can continue to advance on the 4.x branch and expect to be competitive. All they can do is what they are doing - maximize what is possible with 4.4 and hopefully build something with V5 that can advance. Unlike LC - XCART has a good supply of 3rd party developers, and the code is open - so if there is a market for it - the 4.4 branch should be viable for some time. And, we should expect advances on that branch from 3rd parties if there is a market. That is not new for us - how many indispensable mods for us come from 3rd parties? Do we expect they will all discontinue support for V4 addons even if QT moves away from it?

Drupal is pretty awesome in its capabilities, and how this LC version is integrated will be interesting. Drupal has some of the capabilities for improved upgrade process, theming that can be separate from the upgrade process, defined APIs for integration of mods, thousands of themes & mods, modules for performance enhancements, modules for development, wikis, video tutorials, a large community of users, etc. etc. etc.
And if you want a rich supply of 3rd party developers, Drupal has that in place. QT has given us a means to take a look at where they are headed - that is a positive step. Now, just to find the time to look...

The following 3 users thank gb2world for this useful post:
ambal (05-23-2010), rofea (08-04-2010), xplorer (05-23-2010)
Old 05-23-2010, 04:28 AM

X-Cart team

Quote:
Then out of nowhere you release ecwid. I still don't really understand what it is to be honest.

What is Ecwid?
It is a finalist of The Next Web Paypal X Startup Rally: http://thenextweb.com/eu/2010/04/12/announcing-finalists-web-paypal-startup-rally-2010/#more-43874 : -)

If you have questions how Ecwid works or how you can use it, feel free to PM me.

ex-Head of X-Cart Tech Support Department
ex- X-Cart Hosting Manager - X-Cart hosting
ex-X-Cart Technical Support Engineer

Note: For the official guaranteed tech support services please turn to the Customers HelpDesk.
Old 05-23-2010, 09:45 AM

X-Man

gb2world You are right, IF you read this thread it is very clear that LC V3 is the basis for X-Cart V5. What I was trying to say is that many XCart users will NOT read this thread because of its title It is the title that does not make it clear.

The following user thanks kulture for this useful post:
gb2world (05-23-2010)
Old 05-23-2010, 09:47 AM

X-Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by gb2world
QT has given us a means to take a look at where they are headed - that is a positive step. Now, just to find the time to look...

Absolutely, and it may well be a great future.
Old 05-23-2010, 12:53 PM

How do we get a copy of LC V3?

http://www.natralife.co.uk

X-Cart Gold version 4.5.4
PHP 5.3.18
MySQL client 5.0.96
   X-Cart forums > News and Announcements