Follow us on Twitter X-Cart on Facebook Wiki
Shopping cart software Solutions for online shops and malls

Anybody using v5 for a live store yet?

X-Cart forums > Considering X-Cart > Considering using X-Cart for my project

Old 07-14-2014, 09:50 PM

eXpert

Default Re: Anybody using v5 for a live store yet?

Quote:
Originally Posted by finestshops
Unless you can use v5 without any modifications over than updating logo, you may want to consider 4.6.

Thanks so much for your input and personal story, finestshops. I did download and install V5, but after looking it over, I know it's not for me at this time. Among other things, I can't get all the mods I need at the moment. I am in the process of setting up 4.6.4 now. Maybe V5 will work for me in the future, but I'll stick with V4 for now.
BCSE Customer Review Management Mod
BCSE Catalog Order Form Mod
X-Cart Gold 4.5.2 (Building/Testing)
USA
Old 07-15-2014, 04:22 AM

X-Cart team

Hi Anton!

I am really sorry to hear feedback like that and I will try to understand what went wrong, so we can fix it.
  1. Could you please let me know whether these two stores were finally upgraded to 5.1 and if not could you please send me an email, so I could check with our guys about when you will get your stores upgrade. I need an email with the store domains and what problems are preventing them from upgrade.
  2. Skins were purchased, but they were delivered in 4 weeks and they did not look like they were on snapshots.

As I know our design team always says if the template code is not available at the time of purchase and they need an extra time to prepare it. It applies to both X-Cart 5 and X-Cart 4 themes. Such approach allows us to suggest wide range of templates for clients to choose from.

As for the fact that template looked differently that on the snapshot. You are right. We had such problem, because templates assumed additional modules to look as on the snapshot, but we already reworked the template pages on the web-site, so clients would not be confused. I am sorry that this problem happened to you before we reworked our web-site.
  3. Problem with X-Cart 5 customization.

Could you please let me know what is this customization you are talking about? Please send me an email with the ticket or message ID.
  4. Cache regeneration problem after upgrade.

Did you report this problem to our support team? If so, could you please let me know the ticket ID in our helpdesk, so I could check it out?

Honestly, it is always sad to me when I hear a poor impressions about X-Cart 5, but I always try to do my best to get the problems fixed, so we could all enjoy powerful software.

Anton, I would appreciate if you help us fix the problems of these stores, so that eventually your clients will be happy, software will become better and you would receive a better service from us.

Looking forward to hearing from you.

Tony.

Quote:
Originally Posted by finestshops
jillsybte,

Unless you can use v5 without any modifications over than updating logo, you may want to consider 4.6.
so far, v5 was the biggest disappointment we had with x-cart in over 10 years.
just some examples: we purchased 2 skins advertised as "ready to use" skins for v5 on x-cart.com - took around 4 weeks to get them; they looked like crap - not at all like screenshots advertised on the site. took another 2 weeks to get them modified to look at least remotely similar.
we ordered one customization for v5 from x-cart - took 4 weeks with some delay to get it (same customization we can do in a day in any v4) and now we are trying to test it for another 3 weeks because we are constantly getting errors in that test store.
we had to scrap one v5 project and start all over because cache generation stopped working after unsuccessful upgrade and problem did not appear right away and we noticed only after the oldest backup had the same problem.
it was one disaster after another.
i'm pissed and disappointed and it seems like x-cart support knows very little about v5. simple problem with mail formatting on Mac computers took 2 months to resolve.
i like x-cart guys and wish them all the best but looks like they are digging their own grave with this v5.

... we've got another 5 tickets today with problems from a client who is trying to use v5 for a semi-live store so I'm not the proudest user. maybe somebody had a better luck.
Old 07-15-2014, 06:17 AM

X-Adept

I have mentioned this before, and I think x-cart do great work and x-cart 5 will be much better. It is already good, but I would consider it is a beta product.

For example. There is a catastrophic confirmed bug in the current version of the branch, which when you press the add-to-cart button in a certain situation. (cart is empty, and you have add to cart pop-up) Gives you a message you cannot proceed to checkout. The message appears, "the sub-total does not meet the minumum requirement of ё10." ... But the product price was ё25. This situation may have to work under a different condition, but for me this is how this bug happens and it was confirmed by x-cart.

To be fair they are fixing this although it has been 45 days since reported in 5.1.2 and no apparant consideration of adding a hotfix or priority.

Ultimate 5.3.6
Old 07-16-2014, 12:26 PM

X-Cart team

Hi Richard!

As I understand you are talking about this bug http://bt.x-cart.com/view.php?id=43490

As Ruslan said 1st of July, solution will be included into 5.1.4. You reported this bug at 1st of June, but 5.1.3 was released at 9th of June, so we could not physically fix this bug in 5.1.3.

The following user thanks tony_sologubov for this useful post:
RichieRich (07-16-2014)
Old 07-17-2014, 12:00 AM

X-Adept

Ah ok understood

Ultimate 5.3.6
Old 12-02-2014, 12:12 PM

Advanced Member

Yes, X-Cart 5 Gold business, live recently. Other than some minor CSS changes. It's more or less as is outta' the box.

It does have issues which I hope can be rectified as we stick with it.

It is not as fully featured as 4.x, in fact it's missing a lot of things that the 4.x has.
If you are going from 4.x, you might want to take a long look at it before jumping in. Don't get me wrong, I like it, but don't expect a fully featured cart like 4.x without spending $$ to get all the modules.

4.x has some very valuable administrative options that 5.x does not have... like the ability to update multiple SKUs at once. The ability to move multiple SKUs to different Categories or add multiple SKUs to multiple Categories at once. The X_Cart 5 import is very buggy and difficult to use compared to 4.0
If you are building an online store that has a 1 - 2000 SKUs try X-Cart 5.0
If you have a bigger store, I'd stick with 4.x for now until 5.x matures. You'll find that manipulating large amounts of data will be a royal pain with 5.x

Some guys will say... just use phpMyAdmin. If you want to screw around with the tables... fine go for it. If that's the case, go download some free open source cart and play away. Quite frankly, I don't have the time, I expect something to work when I purchase it.

Bottom line... I haven't decided whether X-Cart 5 is great or not.
X-Cart 5.2.5 Free [linux] - Live-
X-Cart 5.2.6 Business [linux] - Live -
X-Cart 5.x mobile [linux] - inactive
Old 12-02-2014, 02:56 PM

eXpert

I completely agree with your comments. For a simple store which does not require any customizations and one of included skins work for you - v5 maybe a good choice with a fair number of extensions available which are easy to install and use. But for a bigger store or store which requires custom design or functionality I would stick with 4.6 - it's much easier (=less expensive) to modify and have much more functionality required to manage a larger store.
maybe v5 will be more suited for larger stores after xcart-manager.com will support it. but problem with customizing it still remains.

Anton Pachkine
FinestShops.com - E-Commerce Conversion Optimization and Management
X-cart premium hosting, tech. support, customizations and 24/7 pro-active store performance monitoring in US, UK and Australia

The following user thanks finestshops for this useful post:
totaltec (12-02-2014)
Old 12-02-2014, 03:49 PM

X-Guru

The more time you spend with XC5 the easier it gets. I can actually say that I have made some recent tweaks in XC5 that went smoother than they ever would have in XC4. But it depends heavily on what the task at hand is. For most things, XC5 still takes more time, but I am slowly getting there, and I have seen the tide start to turn towards XC5 being even faster for me to tweak. Again, just in some areas with certain tasks.

Overall I am still not as sure of it as I am XC4, but I can attest to several live shops that I have worked on, some doing quite well with the new platform and loving it. It still may be just the second best e-commerce platform in the world (first one being X-Cart classic), but I have faith in its ability to surpass XC5, and that faith grows the more I learn about it.
Mike White - Now Accepting new clients and projects! Work with the best, get a US based development team for just $125 an hour. Call 1-502-773-6454, email mike at babymonkeystudios.com, or skype b8bym0nkey

XcartGuru
X-cart Tutorials | X-cart 5 Tutorials

Check out the responsive template for X-cart.
Old 12-03-2014, 02:06 AM

X-Cart team

Hi Mona!

Thanks for feedback.

Could you please let me know what is the problem with assigning multiple SKUs to multiple categories? We already have this or I am missing the point.

Also as for the problem with import. Yes, there were many bugs, but we fixed almost everything related to import in 5.1.9. If you see any problem with import, please post it to bt.x-cart.com and allow us to fix it.

Tony.
Old 12-03-2014, 05:27 AM

Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony_sologubov
Hi Mona!

Thanks for feedback.

Could you please let me know what is the problem with assigning multiple SKUs to multiple categories? We already have this or I am missing the point.

Also as for the problem with import. Yes, there were many bugs, but we fixed almost everything related to import in 5.1.9. If you see any problem with import, please post it to bt.x-cart.com and allow us to fix it.

Tony.

Thanks Tony, I haven't given up on 5 yet... I want to like it.
I haven't upgraded to 5.1 yet because I can't. It's one of the problems I hope to have rectified soon.

Peter
X-Cart 5.2.5 Free [linux] - Live-
X-Cart 5.2.6 Business [linux] - Live -
X-Cart 5.x mobile [linux] - inactive
   X-Cart forums > Considering X-Cart > Considering using X-Cart for my project