Follow us on Twitter X-Cart on Facebook Wiki
Shopping cart software Solutions for online shops and malls

Core Credits on products

X-Cart forums > X-Cart 4 > Dev Questions > Changing design

Old 06-03-2011, 08:07 PM

X-Adept

Default Core Credits on products

Some of our products require that we charge the customer a Core fee, similar to the fee you pay when buying an alternator, tires, or a battery. We intend on sending a return UPS label with the part with the hope of getting the bad part back.

When the part is returned and we determine if it is a core-able item we would like to be able to credit the customer for the core fee. Lets say $50.

We thought about doing this in the customers offline account, but I was looking through some of the things in X-Cart and I was hoping there was some way to do this.

Anyone?
Old 06-04-2011, 04:42 AM

Default Re: Core Credits on products

I got a quick way of doing this, but you may not like it.

If you look at the Products table, you will see a column called Shipping Freight.
Put 50 for shipping freight and tell the customer on the product details page that this product may have an addition CORE cost and you will see the additional cost in Checkout.

Similarly you can put some code into products_t.tpl and product_details.tpl to say if shipping freight not equal 0 then show the value of shipping freight.

Something like that.

But I am not sure how you will deal with returns.
Old 06-04-2011, 07:02 AM

X-Adept

Yeah that's good idea. I could change the verbage in the language file from Shipping Freight to Core Charge as well.

I wasn't worried about charging the Core Fee, because I can just add the fee into the price of the unit and note in the description that it has a Core Fee of $50.

My concern is crediting back the $50.

Thanks for the idea though!
Old 06-04-2011, 10:12 AM

X-Wizard

The functionality you would require is similar to that for subscriptions/recurring payments - which was abandoned by X-Cart because of the PCI adherence complications of the methods they were using to store credit card information.

The closest thing you will see here is probably customizations that BSCE has done using BrainTree Transparent Redirect and implementing the vault feature. (See this thread.) You may want to talk with them about what it would take to do the customization you describe. It is likely only worth the development cost if you have high volumes, but they could give you a better idea.

---
Old 06-04-2011, 03:25 PM

X-Adept

Thanks GB...I was already looking into them for a Line of Credit app.

I'll email them again.

I'd more or less like to have there account on the site hold a credit until the next time they purchase from us.
Old 06-04-2011, 05:06 PM

X-Wizard

If you are not trying to credit an account from the x-cart admin (as opposed to crediting in the payment gateway or merchant account) - then the vault is not applicable.

It sounds closer to a customization of the BSCE Points mod or the Altered Cart On-Sale mod. Or, you could manually create coupon codes for the customers as the parts are returned.

---
Old 06-05-2011, 07:22 AM

X-Adept

Points... I might have to look into that. I guess I could add say 50 points to their account if the returned and item. I think they could them use those points toward a purchase.
   X-Cart forums > X-Cart 4 > Dev Questions > Changing design