Follow us on Twitter X-Cart on Facebook Wiki
Shopping cart software Solutions for online shops and malls

HELP on installed meta tag mod

X-Cart forums > X-Cart 4 > Dev Questions > Changing design

Old 11-24-2004, 09:01 AM

Advanced Member

Default HELP on installed meta tag mod

I have installed the free mod from http://www.bcsengineering.com/store/customer/product.php?productid=88&cat=7&page=1

Since i use this modification to have better product keywords now i have two times the meta keyword tag. Not the same meta tags but what will search engines do if they see that you have 2 line for the meta keyword tag? probally i will be penalized. It seems that the mod works fine but there is an error some where that creates double meta keyword tag.

Take a look at our site and see the page source : http://www.belservice.com/customer/product.php?productid=24404&cat=250&page=1

Is there somebody in here that know about this? and can tell me what code do i need to change to make this work better? Thanks for the help.

I have x-cart version 3.5.8

Below you can find my actual meta.tpl file. I think some code is not ok in there?

{* $Id: meta.tpl,v 1.13.2.2 2004/05/20 08:25:04 mclap Exp $ *}
<meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset={$default_charset|default:"iso-8859-1"}">
{* BCSE Begin *}
{if $product.fulldescr ne ""}
<meta name="description" content="{$product.fulldescr|strip_tags:true|strip |truncate:150}">
{elseif $product.descr ne ""}
<meta name="description" content="{$product.descr|strip_tags:true|strip|tru ncate:150}">
{else}
{* BCSE End *}
<meta name="description" content="Bij belservice.nl goedkoop alle gsm en vaste telefoon toestellen. Alle merken van Nokia, sonyericsson, siemens, samsung tot sagem en sendo. Tevens vindt u bij belservice.nl alle accesoires voor uw gsm. Bluetooth headsets, frontjes en laders. Uiteraard altijd laag geprijst. Bedrijven kunnen ook terecht bij belservice.nl. Wij hebben vele isdn centrales, isdn en dect telefoon toestellen en alles wat u nodig heeft voor uw bedrijfs communicatie. Zakelijke klanten krijgen altijd extra korting. In ons assortiment vindt u siemens gigaset, tiptel en vele andere merken.">
{/if} {* BCSE added *}
{* BCSE Begin *}
{if $product_meta_keywords ne ""}
<meta name="keywords" content="{$product_meta_keywords}">
{else}
{* BCSE End *}
<meta name="keywords" content="gratis GSM mobieltje, gsm accessoires, gsm aanbiedingen, cashback abonnement, abonnement afsluiten, headsets, bluetooth, carkits, frontjes, datakabels, nokia, samsung, motorola, siemens, sonyericsson, panasonic, kpn, orange, hi, telfort, debitel, vodafone, t-mobile, dect, isdn adsl, telecom advies">
{/if} {* BCSE added *}
{if $usertype eq "P" or $usertype eq "A"}
<meta name="ROBOTS" content="INDEX">
<meta name="ROBOTS" content="FOLLOW">
{/if}
{if $current_category.meta_tags ne ""}
<meta name="keywords" content="{$current_category.meta_tags}">
{/if}
{if $webmaster_mode eq "editor"}
{if ($usertype eq "P" or $usertype eq "A") and $current_language ne ""}
<script>var store_language = "{$current_language}"</script>
{else}
<script>var store_language = "{$store_language}"</script>
{/if}
<script>
var catalogs = new Object();
catalogs.admin = "{$catalogs.admin}";
catalogs.provider = "{$catalogs.provider}";
catalogs.customer = "{$catalogs.customer}";
catalogs.partner = "{$catalogs.partner}";
catalogs.images = "{$ImagesDir}";
catalogs.skin = "{$SkinDir}";
</script>
{if $user_agent eq "ns"}
<script src="{$SkinDir}/editorns.js"></script>
{else}
<script src="{$SkinDir}/editor.js"></script>
{/if}
{/if}[/url]
Old 11-24-2004, 09:11 AM

eXpert

I would imagine that you are getting one set of keywords from this mod, and the other from the standard X-Cart set.

I could be wrong as I have not seen this mod myself.

But your keywords dont match on your site, so it isnt this mod creating them twice, it must be from 2 separate locations, such as my guess above.
Old 11-24-2004, 09:25 AM

X-Man

I have not seen this mod either, looks like you ought to go back to BSCE and resolve rather than posting here or PM'ing individual members for responses.

I am not a general purpose helpline for anyone that gets stuck on any mod that has been released anywhere in the world. I am a private individual running my own business and like most people, my time is precious to me.

You could also help people to help you by posting your version number as per the forum rules.
Old 11-24-2004, 10:13 AM

X-Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkydunk
I have not seen this mod either, looks like you ought to go back to BSCE and resolve rather than posting here or PM'ing individual members for responses.

I am not a general purpose helpline for anyone that gets stuck on any mod that has been released anywhere in the world. I am a private individual running my own business and like most people, my time is precious to me.

You could also help people to help you by posting your version number as per the forum rules.

I second that.

Its not right to pm mods or others asking for them to read your post.

No one gets paid to do this. its out of good will

EWD Hosting
Hands On Hosting
Old 11-24-2004, 10:39 AM

Advanced Member

Default Ok

I am sorry for spending youб╢re precious time. I was just asking for some help and maybe that i could help some others people by showing this free mod. But thanks anyway.
Old 11-24-2004, 10:42 AM

eXpert

I think that is what they are pointing out, their time is precious, the same as everyone's.

I think the fact you obviously PM'd them was a little much.
Perhaps just asking the question here would be enough, there isn't much need to PM them directly.

But better yet, contact BCSE as they made it... That would be my first point of contact.
Old 11-24-2004, 10:59 AM

Advanced Member

Default Still

If there is somebody there who knows about this issue pls let me know!
Old 11-24-2004, 11:01 AM

eXpert

Try removing the keywords already set in X-Cart and see if they disappear in the output.
Old 11-25-2004, 01:44 AM

Advanced Member

Default You mean

Do you mean that i have to delete the keywords set in the meta.tpl? and see if it works?
Old 11-25-2004, 03:21 AM

X-Man

Go and talk to BCSE , ask if they will install it for you (of course at a fee - time = money)

It's a good mod, it's worth the installation fee if you cant install it correctly yourself.

even it's free and I installed it myself I would still make a donation just to say thank you.
   X-Cart forums > X-Cart 4 > Dev Questions > Changing design