Follow us on Twitter X-Cart on Facebook Wiki
Shopping cart software Solutions for online shops and malls

Make "Force customer to choose product options before adding a product to cart" work

X-Cart forums > X-Cart 5 > Dev Questions (X-Cart 5)

Old 11-02-2014, 06:11 PM

X-Adept

Default Make "Force customer to choose product options before adding a product to cart" work

Please vote up my idea.
http://ideas.x-cart.com/forums/229428-x-cart-5-x/suggestions/6653302--force-customer-to-choose-product-options-before-a

The option "Force customer to choose product options before adding a product to cart" in Store Setup/Cart & Checkout doesn't actually seem to force the customer to make a choice on anything. (If I'm wrong about this, I will step aside, but I don't think I am.)

This type of "Force the customer to chosse" system was available in XC4, better known as the "Validation Script" under the Product Options section. (Yes I am aware that this was a part of XC4 that was clearly stated was not going to be supported in XC5) I made a pretty elaborate script, since my customer wanted me to "Force the customer to choose an option." In my case, making the customer aware that if the did not order Option A, that it voided their warranty, whatever, etc. Literally forcing the customer to make a conscious and educated choice. Below is the explaination of my problem with the option available in XC5 and an example of why it does not appear to work, as stated, on my site.

When I check "Force customer to choose product options before adding a product to cart" in the "Cart & checkout" area, all it's really doing is making it so that when some clicks on the "Add to Cart" bag it is showing them the options. But doesn't really "force" anyone to do anything, because if there are already price modifiers selected as defaults, the customer might just go ahead and hit add to cart. Hurray for markups and making money, but I'm not really "forcing" them to chose Yes or No on something.

Based on all the available settings I have in Attributes, there's nothing that is forcing the customer to make a Yes/No decision. Even if my 3 choices for an Attribute are "Choose One", "Yes", and "No", if I set the default to Choose One and they don't do anything. Again there's nothing to "Force customer to choose product options before adding a product to cart".

If we start thinking about well lets create a bunch of variants to take care of this and the following attributes and choices are available:

Size
- Choose One
- Small
- Large

Color
- Choose One
- Red
- Blue

Obviously, I don't want the customer to be able to choose the Variant, Size = Choose One & Color = Choose One. So I can't make that Variant even an options, so that leaves me with only the following Variants as options
Small/Red
Small/Blue
Large/Red
Large/Blue

Of which if by default order, Small and Red have price modifiers on them, then even before the customer makes a choice, the Price that shows for the product will not be the original price shown to the customer. It will be a modified price which is not acceptable to show a customer a product with a modified price.

Now take into account the following options and possible variants:

Gift Wrapped
- Choose One
- Yes
- No

Bow on Top
- Choose One
- Yes
- No

Again using product Variants I would not want Gift Wrapped = Choose One & Bow on Top = Choose One to be an option, so the customer would never even see it. Beyond that even if I reverse the order to make No the default choice for both options, what's to guarantee "Force customer to choose product options before adding a product to cart".

So I've come to the 2 conclusions:

1. Either my XC5 load is screwed up so unbelievably hard that I'm missing features that allow me to "Force customer to choose product options before adding a product to cart"

2. Or someone wrote this sentence "Force customer to choose product options before adding a product to cart" without taking into account the full meaning of the words, because nothing is being forced. All this box does is keeping them from adding something straight to the cart and shows them the Product Details Page, to which they can just hit "Add to Cart" without ever being forced to choose any option.
Old 11-03-2014, 04:27 AM

X-Cart team

Default Re: Make "Force customer to choose product options before adding a product to cart" work

Thank you for the idea report! This is a great suggestion.
Old 11-03-2014, 04:29 AM

X-Adept

Default Re: Make "Force customer to choose product options before adding a product to cart" work

I hope so Tony. It's a little frustrating at the moment. Thanks for your support and all your other help!
   X-Cart forums > X-Cart 5 > Dev Questions (X-Cart 5)