Follow us on Twitter X-Cart on Facebook Wiki
Shopping cart software Solutions for online shops and malls

Pinterest

X-Cart forums > X-Cart 4 > Dev Questions > Changing design

Old 04-19-2012, 01:41 AM

eXpert

Default Re: Pinterest

I dont want to sound like I am trying to put a pin in your bubble but is the pinterest traffic really worth it?

I'd love to see some data from the conversions of this traffic, I can see it bringing in lots of traffic to your server but how much of this traffic actually converts to sales?

Yes its great getting lots of traffic to your site but if that traffic is only interested in looking at your pictures or more likely stealing your pictures how much actually converts to real sales of products. I cant see anyone using pinterest to find products to buy rather than using a search engine.

Just seems like a waste of time to me but I look forward to someone proving me i'm wrong
Ability Theme
CDSEO
xCMS
Abandoned Cart
Food Packaging Scotland
Old 04-19-2012, 05:56 AM

Veteran

Hi David, not a waste of time at all. It is now the #3 social media site out there with 23.7 MILLION users in February. Even if the initial 'hit' on your site doesn't produce a sale, that is a potential customer down the road. A lot of people use Pinterest as a 'shopping list' - so they add the pin, and come back later to purchase. IMHO it would be foolish to NOT put this on your site.
Old 04-24-2012, 04:29 AM

eXpert

Quote:
Originally Posted by balinor
Hi David, not a waste of time at all. It is now the #3 social media site out there with 23.7 MILLION users in February. Even if the initial 'hit' on your site doesn't produce a sale, that is a potential customer down the road. A lot of people use Pinterest as a 'shopping list' - so they add the pin, and come back later to purchase. IMHO it would be foolish to NOT put this on your site.

I understand what your saying, I have actually opened up an account for our company and have some of our products on it. I just can't see it working.

I guess like any social network it takes lots of work and its really all about brand awareness rather than the physical sales from the site. It would be nice to see some stats as to conversions from it though.

I do see your point that it has lots of users and I guess some of these may convert at a later date based on them getting to know about your product.

I'm still not convinced though, I can see why google+ works for tech companies and facebook works for some industries too but I just can't see this working for ours to be honest.
Ability Theme
CDSEO
xCMS
Abandoned Cart
Food Packaging Scotland
Old 11-18-2012, 06:58 PM

Balinor, this is great - it's now working for me! However, the watermarked image is being bypassed for this, which I really don't want. What should the url of the watermarked image be?
Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by balinor
Yea, use what I posted, the second question mark from your url is botching it up, which is why you need to use the urlencode url. Here it is again:

Code:
<a href="http://pinterest.com/pin/create/button/?url={php}echo urlencode('http://www.yoururlhere.com' . $_SERVER['REQUEST_URI']);{/php}&media={$product.image_url}&description={$product.product}" class="pin-it-button" count-layout="horizontal">Pin It</a> <script type="text/javascript" src="http://assets.pinterest.com/js/pinit.js"></script>
   X-Cart forums > X-Cart 4 > Dev Questions > Changing design