Follow us on Twitter X-Cart on Facebook Wiki
Shopping cart software Solutions for online shops and malls

Special Offers query

X-Cart forums > X-Cart 4 > Dev Questions > Changing design

Old 07-06-2017, 11:16 AM

eXpert

Default Special Offers query

Hi,

I am currently running 4.5.4, but will be moving to a 4.7.x version later. Below I describe the 4.5.4 behaviour, but I'm pretty sure it hasn't changed in later versions (I would love to be wrong).

I don't use the Special Offers feature often, but when I do I'm not particularly comfortable with the way the special offers are displayed to customers. It doesn't seem that intuitive to me.

For example, if a product in one of my categories has a special offer applied to it, a promo banner is displayed at the top of the page and a 'special offer' star is plastered on the product image in the list, both of which are good. Unfortunately though, if that product is a 'featured product' either in a category or on a different product's page, the star does not appear.

Also, if my special offer is some form of discount (which they mostly are), the prices shown on that product page and the category list are the non-discounted prices. It seems easy enough for a customer to think that the discount has already been applied (and therefore seem expensive), even if I explain in the promo text that discounts are applied automatically at the cart/checkout. When at the cart/checkout, you can clearly see the discount, but not anywhere else.

Assuming this is the expected behaviour, and I haven't missed out on some config tweak that might improve it, is there an alternative to the Special Offers feature that does this stuff differently?

I suppose what I'd like to see on the category list, featured product list, and product page is the special offer star on the image, and the 'common price' and 'offer price' visible, so that the comparison can be made instantly.

Many thanks
Welly

www.traininglines.co.uk
Old 07-06-2017, 12:19 PM

X-Wizard

Default Re: Special Offers query

I don't know the answers off the top of my head but this could be related to the skin you are using. You could try the demo to see if your scenarios work any better there, even across different included skins.
Old 07-06-2017, 02:35 PM

eXpert

Default Re: Special Offers query

Thanks for your reply, Cherie.

You are quite right, and I admit that I haven't exhaustively investigated this, but in 4.5.4 I am using a different skin to the site I have been fiddling with in 4.7.5, but both seem to work in almost identical ways.

I would suggest that the Special Offers module hasn't really changed much over those many releases. At least not functionally.

It could quite likely just be the way I use it, but I don't think so.

Welly

www.traininglines.co.uk
   X-Cart forums > X-Cart 4 > Dev Questions > Changing design