Follow us on Twitter X-Cart on Facebook Wiki
Shopping cart software Solutions for online shops and malls

Associating Products with Web Pages

X-Cart forums > X-Cart 4 > Dev Questions > Changing design

Old 01-12-2003, 08:13 PM

Default Associating Products with Web Pages

I want to add new functionality to the product.php page but after spending the day it's clear I need help. What I'm trying to do should be extremely easy but the steps to get there are kind of baffling me. I understand PHP but I'm new to Smarty and the layout of X-Cart.

I want to associate my products with web pages that relate to those products. All I need is a way to take the contents of one of the customizable keyword fields (param01 for instance) and create a little box just like the "Recommends List" area with the web page title as a link to that page. I figured I'd just comma delineate the field like this.

Web Page Title, URL, Web Page Title, URL, etc

Like I said, this isn't rocket science but there are so many different files and I don't understand how they're all organized. Even with the Debug feature I'm confused as to what prompts what to do what!?!

A step by step explanation on how to solve this problem or a broad explanation on how X-Cart is organized so I could figure it out myself would be very helpful. I've looked at everything I could but it's not making a lot of senseБ─╕ Maybe because I don't understand Smarty.

Thanks for what ever help you can give me.
Old 01-13-2003, 12:22 AM

X-Guru

you could always use the extra options option that you can find in your admin area

EWD Hosting
Hands On Hosting
Old 01-13-2003, 01:04 PM

I was planning to use the "Extra Fields" to make it easy on the person entering the products into the system but what I need to know is how do I take the info in that field and display it as an unordered list of links with the web pages title as the text and the URL as the link. The PHP code for this is pretty obvious, what I'm having trouble with is which of the template files do I modify? And how? I realize the obvious answer is "Learn Smarty moron!" but I'm hoping someone will be kind to me and help me out! I know this is trivial but I'd rather not waste a lot of my time and my bosses learning Smarty so I can implement one little piece of code when it would probably take someone out there 10 seconds to explain it to me. hehe
Old 01-13-2003, 02:41 PM

X-Guru

did u want to have more then one link per product ?

You may be able to enter normal html code in the extra field

EWD Hosting
Hands On Hosting
Old 01-13-2003, 06:17 PM

I'm actually going to run some code from outside of X-Cart to update the x-cart database with appropriate links. So when people look at a product they will get a list of links to go along with them.

For instance, say I was selling food. On the one hand I have my products. Carrots, eggs, baking powder, etc. On the other, let's say I have an online cookbook. I want to create links to appropriate recipes to go along with my food products. So when a person brings up the web page for Chocolate Chips they'll also be presented with links to appropriate recipes like Chocolate Chip Cookies. A product like bok choy might only have two or three recipes while eggs might have 300 potential, of which I'll pick 5 or 10 of the best ones.

I can take care of getting the data into the database if someone can just tell me how to display it.
Old 01-18-2004, 08:42 AM

X-Adept

If you figure this one out, please post how. It would be most appreciated! [-o<

Thanks!
   X-Cart forums > X-Cart 4 > Dev Questions > Changing design