Follow us on Twitter X-Cart on Facebook Wiki
Shopping cart software Solutions for online shops and malls

X-Cart 4.5.6 upcoming changes (UPDATE: the next version will be 4.6.0, but not 4.5.6)

X-Cart forums > News and Announcements

Old 04-29-2013, 10:58 AM

X-Guru

Default Re: X-Cart 4.5.6 upcoming changes (UPDATE: the next version will be 4.6.0, but not 4.5.6)

I am happy this is being called 4.6.0

<beating the dead horse>
4.5.5 SHOULD have been called 4.6.0
</horse is dead>

Based on the info here, 4.6.0 will break every mod every written.

That's OK, but please RED-FLAG the daylights out of the new "features"

ONE minor gripe:

X-Cart has historically forced upgrades to go to tl;ast dot rev in a branch before jumping to the new branch -- but in the case of 4.5.4 to 4.5.5, there was SO MUCH carnage, a successful upgrade from 4.5.4 to 4.5.5 was essentially impossible.

MAY I PLEASE REQUEST that you treat 4.5.4 and 4.5.5 as separate and distinct "final rev" of the 4.5.x branch for upgrade purposes? (that is, we need to be able to upgrade from 4.5.4 to 4.6.0) for those of us who tried to upgrade to 4.5.5 but due to 4.5.5 upgrade defects, this was not possible.

Thank you.
J
Old 04-29-2013, 11:06 AM

X-Man

Default Re: X-Cart 4.5.6 upcoming changes (UPDATE: the next version will be 4.6.0, but not 4.5.6)

... not only modules will go crazy. also the custom work ... we'll see, but I would like more infos.
OS in use: Red Hat Enterprise, Fedora, CentOS, Debian, Ubuntu, Linux Mint, Kali Linux
Ideas for Server configuration (basicaly): Nginx/Pound (reverse proxy), Apache/Nginx (webserver), Squid/Varnish (cache server), HHVM or (PHP-FPM + PHP 5.6 + opcache), MariaDB/Percona MySQL Server, Redis (storing sessions)

You can catch my ideas here: http://ideas.x-cart.com
Old 04-29-2013, 01:48 PM

X-Adept

Estimated release date for 4.6?

Will 4.5.6 be released as a purely maintenance bug fix release as suggested?
MySQL 5.1.68
Apache 2.2.23

The following user thanks NuAlpha for this useful post:
tartaglia (04-30-2013)
Old 04-29-2013, 09:19 PM

X-Cart team

Here is more info about the next release:

http://help.x-cart.com/index.php?title=Roadmap
Old 04-30-2013, 04:40 AM

X-Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by xim
Here is more info about the next release:
Quote:
- Improvements of module management section

Shouldn't that be:
"Total re-design of module management section requiring every module to be modified and tested. Modules that work perfectly in 4.5 will not work in 4.6 without modification."
Old 04-30-2013, 04:46 AM
Advanced Staff Users

X-Cart team

Quote:
Originally Posted by carpeperdiem
Shouldn't that be:
"Total re-design of module management section requiring every module to be modified and tested. Modules that work perfectly in 4.5 will not work in 4.6 without modification."
Actually, no. In most cases they will work like previously. The only one noticeable change is that "module_enable" event from old code will not be called. And the change required in this case is very small - just add the same code either to postponed "module.enable" or immeditaly called "module.ajax.toggle" event.

The following 2 users thank random for this useful post:
rocky (04-30-2013), xim (04-30-2013)
Old 04-30-2013, 04:53 AM
Advanced Staff Users

X-Cart team

Quote:
Originally Posted by xim
Also, the new version will contain Resposnive template out of box:
http://www.x-cart.com/extensions/modules/responsive-template.html

We had a great cooperation with Mike White (aka totaltec) with this project and we used his fantastic skin as base for a new built-in skin - Ideal Responsive

For existing users of that template - it is not just AS IS copy, we have improved the Responsive template:
- CSS media queries are used instead of a bunch of JS code. They work in all modern browsers, and for IE8 we load special compatibility script.
- Banner System works properly without using non-default js script instead of built-in carousel.
- Other fixes and improvements

The following 2 users thank random for this useful post:
rocky (04-30-2013), xim (04-30-2013)
Old 04-30-2013, 04:55 AM

X-Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by random
Actually, no. In most cases they will work like previously. The only one noticeable change is that "module_enable" event from old code will not be called. And the change required in this case is very small - just add the same code either to postponed "module.enable" or immeditaly called "module.ajax.toggle" event.

If I have 3rd party code that is obfuscated or encrypted, this will require the module developer to modify it before it will work in 4.6

The nightmare here: let's say I have a version of a mod that was built for 4.4.4, but works perfectly with xcart 4.5.4; I want to upgrade xcart to 4.6.0 - but in the mean time, the 3rd party developer has introduced new features... the current version of the mod works perfectly with 4.5.4/4.5.5 but since we're jumping a branch, I have to pay $50 for the new version upgrade to be compatible with 4.6, and I will have to do major reworking to keep the mod compatible.

Multiply this by 10 mods.

I STRONGLY suggest that any changes to xcart core that require EVERY mod to be edited be saved for "version 5"
Old 04-30-2013, 08:32 AM

X-Adept

I agree with you guys, I have a 4.5.4 store that runs great. I didnt upgrade because it was our busy season and the forums lit up with problems. We only have a few mods but I ran a test upgrade and it went ok. We would be going from 4.5.4 to 4.6.x and when i do it, i'll upgrade our hosting server and do a test upgrade before switching it over live.
Old 04-30-2013, 08:36 AM

X-Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dougrun
I agree with you guys, I have a 4.5.4 store that runs great. I didnt upgrade because it was our busy season and the forums lit up with problems. We only have a few mods but I ran a test upgrade and it went ok. We would be going from 4.5.4 to 4.6.x and when i do it, i'll upgrade our hosting server and do a test upgrade before switching it over live.

You can't do that with the current upgrade tools.
X-Cart removed the ability to do a post-upgrade database only "final" upgrade.

It is CRUCIAL for a live store to upgrade in a dev environment, and then after all testing is completed, run a final database patch on the live (clone) database.

Unless X-Cart permits this, nobody actually making money will be interested in upgrading.

The following user thanks carpeperdiem for this useful post:
elmirage001 (04-30-2013)
   X-Cart forums > News and Announcements