Follow us on Twitter X-Cart on Facebook Wiki
Shopping cart software Solutions for online shops and malls

Let's Talk AdWords: How to Install the AdWords Conversion Tracking Code in X-Cart

X-Cart forums > X-Cart 4 > Dev Questions

Old 07-09-2010, 05:42 AM

Default Re: Let's Talk AdWords: How to Install the AdWords Conversion Tracking Code in X-Cart

Hi Kcar,

You are not required to installed Google Analytics for AdWords.

AdWords has it's own 'smaller' analytics called 'Conversion Tracking' which is what this thread refers to, and must be installed in order to evaluate AdWords performance.

You *should* also be using Google Analytics. Not using Google Analytics is the equivalent of never looking at your business financial statements. How would you know if you're doing ok, or even headed in the right direction?
  • Certified Landing Page Optimization Expert
  • Certified Conversion Optimization Master - Market Motive

Old 09-21-2010, 06:52 PM

Advanced Member

Unhappy Re: Let's Talk AdWords: How to Install the AdWords Conversion Tracking Code in X-Cart

Hi,
We are having issues with the tracking URL's used by Google AdWords / Analytics. We have setup auto-tagging but redirects set up on the X-Cart site are removing auto-tagging information from the URLs. I think it may be a module called CDSEO Pro that is appending the auto-tagging URL's but I am not sure.
Auto-tagging automatically adds a parameter to the end of each of our AdWords destination URLs in order to identify visitors as AdWords referrals. The tag captures keyword, campaign, ad content information, and our ad's position when a user clicked it. The parameter used in auto-tagging is called "gclid." However, due to the X-Cart website's redirect, the gclid parameter is being removed from the URL.
Do you have any idea why this is happening and whether it is the CDSEO Pro Module, or another a URI rewrite engine as part of X-Cart that is modifying these URL's?
Thank You
Old 09-23-2010, 06:56 AM

Default Re: Let's Talk AdWords: How to Install the AdWords Conversion Tracking Code in X-Cart

I don't think that is an issue with CD-SEO, I haven't seen it strip the gclid parameter.

It may have something to do with your server or a previous mod.

Old 11-03-2010, 03:48 AM

Thanks for tutorial but the template is downloading as a html document. Is that right?
Old 11-03-2010, 04:39 AM

Hi Deano,

It is a .txt file. You need to right-click on the link and choose 'Save As'.

Alternatively you can highlight the code and copy & paste it into the corresponding .tpl

Old 11-04-2010, 04:11 PM

Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squeeze Juice Marketing
I don't think that is an issue with CD-SEO, I haven't seen it strip the gclid parameter.

It may have something to do with your server or a previous mod.
So you don't think its anything to do with X-Cart itself or CD-SEO, but perhaps a mod on X-Cart? I have checked the server and there is nothing on the server that would cause the stripping of the gclid parameter from the site URL's. Have you ever heard of this sort of thing happening before. The site has several mods applied so I wouldn't know where to start, it its a mod causing the problem?
Thanks
Old 11-07-2010, 02:40 PM

Hi Caroline,

I have not seen issues with CD-SEO and AdWords gclid tracking. Did you install the mod or have it professionally installed?

Unfortunately it could be any number of issues from something in your .htaccess to a random X-cart mod. You will want to start by reviewing the mods. I would also double check the host as I've seen that as an issue several times.

Old 12-29-2010, 09:56 AM

Hi Ryan,

What do you put as the Goal URL when you are doing the set up on the AdWords end? I found this:

/cart\.php\?mode=order_message&orderids=

But, would it actually look like this?: http://www.mydomainname.com/cart\.php\?mode=order_message&orderids= or this http://www.mydomainname.com/cart.php?mode=order_message&orderids=

Thanks!

Eva
Old 12-29-2010, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emtucker
Hi Ryan,

What do you put as the Goal URL when you are doing the set up on the AdWords end? I found this:

/cart\.php\?mode=order_message&orderids=

But, would it actually look like this?: http://www.mydomainname.com/cart\.php\?mode=order_message&orderids= or this http://www.mydomainname.com/cart.php?mode=order_message&orderids=

Thanks!

Eva

Hi Eva,

I'm not quite sure what you are referencing here.

AdWords conversion tracking does not require any URL inputs, just installation of the tracking script.

If you are referring to Google Analytics goal setting that is a separate topic, Google has a help page on setting up goals here: http://www.google.com/support/googleanalytics/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=55515

Old 12-29-2010, 10:23 AM

I am working with an SEO person that gave me the conversion code to put in and said that he needed a URL of a static page to enter in on the Adwords side of things. I think that he is saying it needs to be static, just so that it will be the same everytime.

I pulled /cart\.php\?mode=order_message&orderids= in reference to this post: http://forum.x-cart.com/showthread.php?t=44076&highlight=Google+Goal+Track ing

Thanks for your help!
   X-Cart forums > X-Cart 4 > Dev Questions