Follow us on Twitter X-Cart on Facebook Wiki
Shopping cart software Solutions for online shops and malls

Custom Drill-Down Search Module

X-Cart forums > X-Cart 4 > Dev Questions > Changing design

Old 03-04-2004, 06:01 PM

Default Custom Drill-Down Search Module

Hello all,

I am in desperate need of creating a custom drill-down search module. Basically, it is a vehicle make, model, year search feature that will return a list of products that match that query. Ideally, just the categories would be returned, for example suspension, performance... When the customer clicks "suspension", the subcategories or products would be displayed that only pertain to that particular vehicle make, model and year. Just wondering if someone has already done this and if so, would you mind helping. I am somewhat knowledged in PHP and MySQL so I am not a total newbie . Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Jay Almers
Old 03-04-2004, 09:26 PM

eXpert

Go to Boomer's site: http://www.cart-lab.com

Sam Solace - Pres/CEO
Century Performance Center, Inc.
http://www.centuryperformance.com

(3) sites using X-Cart 5.3.5.5
X-Payments Enterprise 3.1.4
Old 03-16-2004, 09:32 AM

eXpert

I may be able to help Check my site out it is not great but I might be able to help!
Scott
www.landspeedracing.com

(Live site)
Old 03-16-2004, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuner
I may be able to help Check my site out it is not great but I might be able to help!
Scott
www.landspeedracing.com

(Live site)

That would be great....I am looking for a block like the categories show up in but it house three drop down boxes; Year Make Model. From there it should query the database and return only relevant matches. I have matching fields for each product Param00 Param01 Param02. The more I think about this, the more detailed I could make it. But my main two concerns are these:

1.) Once the search is done, a results page is brought up with the categories/subcategories displayed in the main window. Once the category is chosen, display only the products that match the initial query.

2.) The "Vehicle Search" box needs to be in its own block like the categories and member login and MUST be shown at all times.

Hope this helps and sheds some light on the different features.

email me directly:
jay [ AT ] jayalmers [ DOT ] com
Old 03-16-2004, 12:19 PM

eXpert

Id Like to keep this on the forum as others could gain from this.

I dont know why you want the search result to turn up subcategories?
This make things complex and time consuming for the user.
If you look at my advanced search I could easily show you how to turn my My Feild Vehicle Application into 3 Drop Down Lists. www.landspeedracing.com

You Can Only use you method of using Param00,01,02
IF Each Product Only Has ONE application.
IF You are LIKE ME, one product works for 5 different applications i.e. 90-02 Honda Civic EX/97-02 Acura Integra GS/88-91 Honda CRX.

Now This Creates a difficult situation for me. I have no problems Searching for Model or Manufacture but when it comes to Searching for a persons Particular Year it makes things a little bit different. Either you need to list out each year or have an algorythm that checks to see if the year is within the Product Application Range. Either Way you still screwed because how do you Tie together the Year Ranges in Param00 with The Manufacture in Param01 with the Model in Param02 if each feild contains info for more than one application.
I have thought of some methods using custom delimiters and indexing within the Feild but they are Awfully Messsy.

The Other thought is to create a new Table Called Applications.
Basicly each row will have a Product_id feild a Year Feild with either a year range or each applicable year seperated be a space, Model Feild, a Manufacture Feild, and Notes Feild(for weird exlusions... i.e. manual tranny only...)

My Question IS, Do You Want a Better Advanced Search Feature or do you want to Filter out the products that are Displayed so somone just sees the Products that are applicable to the Car Year Manu Model the user has chosen.

I must say I have put this off and put it off as much as my customers would like this feature as this is the NORM for searching for Car Parts, I have so many products I would need to modify the Import Products to be able to import this info.

Now if you just want an advanced search that Lets user select the Manu. and Model As Mine Does I can simply help you out.
If you want more than this then Im interested in helping out answer any question give any guidence but it would be considerable work to do this myself so I would have to have some insentive if you are not up to par with doing you own MOD.

Scott[/img]
Old 03-16-2004, 01:03 PM

Well, I see your point in the complexity of the search feature. I guess I am more interested in being able to search for vehicle make and model than year ranges. Because I (I am sure you are in the same boat) have many products that are "Universal" and that could really cause problems. So here are my thoughts:

In a block on the left side of the page, having three drop downs: Make, Model, and Category. Simple enough right. I am a web designer by trade and can do the programming for this "less intensive" search feature, however I am not sure I understand how to make it show up in its own block.

Thanks,

JAY
Old 03-16-2004, 01:35 PM

eXpert

Actualy Universal is quite simple you just have the algorythm automticly include all parts that say Universal in the ParamXX feilds. ( I have not done this in my advanced search )

That being said I can definately help you modify Categories.tpl so it uses either a drop down list for categories or the standard categories list.
Then we can add code to add a drop-down list for Manu/Model.
You could have a seperate Manu. and Model drop down but WHY?
I would either JUST have a Model Drop Down List or Include the Manu. name and or Abreviation in front of the Models. Or we can just as easily make it with two.
Another question Would you want it to automaticly Update the categories List to show only the categories that are related to the users selected application.
Also would you like it to automaticly update the visible producs to show only the products related to the user selected application.

Scott
Old 03-16-2004, 05:14 PM

X-Man

Since this is posted in Custom Mods, does anyone plan on sharing some code?

This forum is for finished mods we are sharing with everyone.
Old 03-16-2004, 10:50 PM

X-Guru

Brand, Model, Year and Type search mod I've already written, you can see it in action here:

www.extremepsi.com

This mods available to purchase for $49.99, if you like PM me for details or if you need customization to better gear the mod for your store.
Old 03-17-2004, 06:02 AM

That is exactly what I want to do, however I cannot justify paying for a prebuilt mod when i could (with a little work and help from friends) create my own. Great job tho.
   X-Cart forums > X-Cart 4 > Dev Questions > Changing design