Follow us on Twitter X-Cart on Facebook Wiki
Shopping cart software Solutions for online shops and malls

Anyone know why? (Image Swap Anomaly)

X-Cart forums > X-Cart 4 > Dev Questions > Changing design

Old 06-14-2011, 07:56 AM

eXpert

Question Anyone know why? (Image Swap Anomaly)

Prior to upgrading to 4.3.2, we were running 4.1.9 and had Telefirma's Dynamic Image Mod installed. Since upgrading to 4.3.2 we are not using that mod because it is not available.

One of my really big annoyances has been the responsiveness of the image swap on the product page(s).

This product has been loaded since upgrading to 4.3.2:
http://scraporchard.com/market/Lazy-Days.html

The mouseover/image swap takes forever.

However, this product was loaded while we were running 4.1.9 and Telafirma's Dynamic Image Mod:

http://scraporchard.com/market/Crisp-Days-of-Fall.html

See the difference? Why is there a difference? And what can I do to make all the image swaps to function like the last example?

Altered Cart: One Page Checkout, OnSale, Buy Together, Download Expander, Smart Search, Shop by Filters
Gahela: Gahela Support System
The xCart Store: xBanners, xAccess, xMenus
Old 06-14-2011, 02:42 PM

X-Wizard

Default Re: Anyone know why? (Image Swap Anomaly)

The difference between the two pages you posted is that one has small thumbnails generated for your detailed images, and the other does not.

For the one without small thumbnails, the larger images are loaded when the page loads. The displayed thumb image is actually a large image that is re-sized. So the page takes longer to load, however, since the large images are already loaded, the mouse overs respond more quickly.

For the page with the small thumbnails, the page loads more quickly, but the larger images are not pre-loaded. So, when you do a mouse over for the first time, the larger image is being loaded for the first time, and there is a delay.

There appears to be a difference in your newer version in that it generates and caches thumbnails. The Tela Firma mod did used to generate thumbs - but when you upgraded, it appears you may have lost the generated thumbs.

It seems that you are preferring that the thumbs not be generated for detailed images. I am not sure if there is a way to not to have this happen? Perhaps experiment with uploading the detailed images with a csv? Since the detailed images that you have from your previous version do not have generated thumbnails, that suggests there is a way to bypass the thumb generation by direct ftp of the detailed images.

Another alternative might be to come up with a mod that pre-loads the larger images, which will make your initial page load a slower, but your mouse overs respond more quickly.

---
Old 06-14-2011, 05:44 PM

eXpert

OhEmGee. I am so dense sometimes. Thank you so much! *sigh* I figured I would need a pre-loader, I was just hoping there was going to be an easier fix. :P

Altered Cart: One Page Checkout, OnSale, Buy Together, Download Expander, Smart Search, Shop by Filters
Gahela: Gahela Support System
The xCart Store: xBanners, xAccess, xMenus
Old 06-14-2011, 08:25 PM

X-Wizard

Quote:
I figured I would need a pre-loader, I was just hoping there was going to be an easier fix

Or, see if there is another way to upload the detailed images without X-Cart generating and caching the thumbs. That would be equivalent to the page you posted that you liked. They appear to be that way as a result of the upgrade process. Perhaps you can ftp the images and find a way to point to them with a csv import that may bypass the creation of the cached thumbs. (I'm speculating - you would need to investigate.) Maybe exporting the two example products you posted and looking at the csv might give you clues.

----
   X-Cart forums > X-Cart 4 > Dev Questions > Changing design