Follow us on Twitter X-Cart on Facebook Wiki
Shopping cart software Solutions for online shops and malls

XC SEO v1.1.0 Released

X-Cart forums > X-Cart 4 > Dev Questions

Old 06-28-2007, 05:04 AM

Default Re: XC SEO v1.1.0 Released

Regarding meta tag analyzers and whatnot, they often don't follow a redirect properly, which is why they often show your site as non-existent.

It's true that spammers use redirection for ill purposes, but Google is brighter than that. If you're not constantly redirecting, you should be fine. Once google hits an existing url that 301 redirects to the new page, it will realize the old url is defunct, and that the new url is the proper location to record.

Really, a 301 redirect is the only way that I've heard of to let google know of a url change, and also keep your page rank (it's supposed to transfer to the new url).

If you're concerned about the redirects, it shouldn't be difficult for you to modify the code to avoid the redirects, or maybe just use this mod on a brand new site (where there'd be no need to have any redirects whatsoever)

BTW, DSEFU does redirects? I was thinking it was DSEFU that didn't redirect at all, which meant users could visit your old url AND your new url, maybe they've updated their addon

rmoore, out of curiousity, did you install this mod on 4.1.3? If so, cool, as I only wrote documentation for 4.1.7

One thing you might want to doublecheck, is the Froogle enhancement, as the code for the froogle enhancement has changed on X-cart's end several times in the 4.1.x series
Old 06-28-2007, 06:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlangevin

rmoore, out of curiousity, did you install this mod on 4.1.3? If so, cool, as I only wrote documentation for 4.1.7

One thing you might want to doublecheck, is the Froogle enhancement, as the code for the froogle enhancement has changed on X-cart's end several times in the 4.1.x series

Yes installed it in 4.1.3 with no issues....

After reading and reading and reading last night and this morning..

Seems we are facing with a double edge sword here.

GoogleBot does not like redirects at all, not saying they will not index your redirected pages, but you will not get the ranking points that you would have using non redirected pages.

That's why Google still has spammer pages indexed, but those spammer pages you rarely see on top and they are WAY back in the returns...

Now flip the sword over, and GoogleBot also does not like dynamic urls and again not saying you won't get great ranking using dynamic urls, but I'm sure you would get a better rank if you used static html urls.

My problem is that the website I'm dealing with has been around for a while and have OK rank in Google, Yahoo, and MSN (Microsoft Live ). So really I'm looking at this double edge sord and wondering what side of the blade is going to hurt me the most....

Also, I really do not know about DSEFU. I thought it was like the XC SEO where it just rewrites the url and redirects to that rewrote url.

Of course I do not want to hijack this thread with SEO talk, but sure would like to get your guys/gals thoughts on this issue.

X-Cart version 4.1.3
PHP 5.2.0
MySQL server 4.1.12
Web server Apache
OS Linux
Old 06-29-2007, 04:49 AM

X-Adept

Thank you very much for the free mod. I love it, especially being able to simply to turn it off (of course I have to pick a setting now of course, lol). But can anyone share their thoughts on the following:

Speed (if you have moderate to heavy traffic with 3000+ products), does it slow down your server? I'm talking about 700 to 1000 unique visitors/day? I realize its going to be more load on the server, but I'm curious if someone with a large site/traffic can tell me your experience.

We're re-doing one of our stores from ground up, and have always done well with just the generated catalog. Of course the catalog is just a pain since we make changes all the time to product options, certain items, etc. and is just not practicle.

Thanks
--------------------
Old 06-29-2007, 04:59 AM

I haven't seen this mod in use on a large store yet (biggest I know of are the 2 in the first thread post, for SoundChoiceStore and Leukstewinkel (sp?) )

what you could do, is record page load time, server load, # visitors, etc, in your peak load time, and then switch on the mod, and check the stats again

i think most of the big shops already had a commercial SEO mod installed when XC SEO came out, but it would be nice to have a list of websites that are using the mod.
Old 06-29-2007, 05:45 AM

X-Adept

Thanks for the info. Yeah, probably going to just have to wait and see. I hate to get all our products google'd and then have to switch later.
--------------------
Old 06-29-2007, 05:54 AM

I'm working on a "support" site for XC SEO, so hopefully we'll be able to get store owner experiences recorded there.

do you have an ETA for your store rebuild completion?
Old 06-29-2007, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluecat
Thanks for the info. Yeah, probably going to just have to wait and see. I hate to get all our products google'd and then have to switch later.

Well you could always switch to a better server or host. One with a 1000Mbps server uplink. Most every host out there only have 100Mbps uplinks.

Dual 3.4GHz processors
4GB DDR @ 667MHz
and 1000Mbps uplink

Nothing going to slow your site down enough to matter....

X-Cart version 4.1.3
PHP 5.2.0
MySQL server 4.1.12
Web server Apache
OS Linux
Old 06-29-2007, 12:14 PM

Ha, so do you own these companies or do you just like advertising
Old 06-29-2007, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Ha, so do you own these companies or do you just like advertising

No..... Just trying to help..... I'll edit the post...

X-Cart version 4.1.3
PHP 5.2.0
MySQL server 4.1.12
Web server Apache
OS Linux
Old 06-30-2007, 11:59 AM

X-Adept

Quote:
I'm working on a "support" site for XC SEO, so hopefully we'll be able to get store owner experiences recorded there.

do you have an ETA for your store rebuild completion?

Maybe 3 to 5 moths to get most of it up. I actually do have a second question/concern, if anyone can offer their opinion. I worry a bit about google's thoughts on rewrites. Does anyone have a concern with that at all?

Thanks again
--------------------
   X-Cart forums > X-Cart 4 > Dev Questions