Follow us on Twitter X-Cart on Facebook Wiki
Shopping cart software Solutions for online shops and malls

Need help editing side navigation boxes

X-Cart forums > X-Cart 4 > Dev Questions > Changing design

Old 05-28-2007, 09:40 AM

eXpert

Default Need help editing side navigation boxes

I am looking to remove the space from both the right and left navigation bars. There is a box for Categories, a blank space after it, a box for Manufacturers, a blank space after it, etc. This is the default 3-column layout in X-cart.

Also, I want to move these around as in the order they show up in but I am getting a bit confused on which file to edit to do this.

Thanks for the help, I am sure I will have a ton more questions to come.

Jen

"Until man duplicates a blade of grass, nature can laugh at his so-called scientific knowledge." - Thomas Edison

"Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world; indeed, it is the only thing that ever has." - Margaret Mead (1901-197 quoted in John M. RIchardson, ed. Making it Happen, 1982

"Water is the best of all things." - Pindar (c. 522 BC - c. 438 BC), Olympian Odes
Old 05-28-2007, 10:07 AM

Veteran

Default Re: Need help editing side navigation boxes

customer/home.tpl. Simply remove the <br> tags after each one you want to eliminate the space from. For example, for categories, remove the <br/> from this code:

{if $categories ne "" and ($active_modules.Fancy_Categories ne "" or $config.General.root_categories eq "Y" or $subcategories ne "")}
{include file="customer/categories.tpl" }
<br />
{/if}

To move them around, simply move the includes in the code to the order you want them to appear. Make sense?
Old 05-28-2007, 10:39 AM

X-Guru

Additionally, some of the template modules have a trailing <br /> that get in the way. It's a good idea to remove these stray linebreaks unless you need them, and manage spacing from home.tpl or using css.
Old 05-29-2007, 11:16 AM

eXpert

Thanks guys!

Now, one more question, I am trying to totally redo the look of the navigation boxes. What do I need to do in order to change them? Is there one file that holds the box design, or do I have a list of files to modify?

Thanks,
Jen

"Until man duplicates a blade of grass, nature can laugh at his so-called scientific knowledge." - Thomas Edison

"Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world; indeed, it is the only thing that ever has." - Margaret Mead (1901-197 quoted in John M. RIchardson, ed. Making it Happen, 1982

"Water is the best of all things." - Pindar (c. 522 BC - c. 438 BC), Olympian Odes
Old 05-29-2007, 11:25 AM

Veteran

that is menu.tpl

Good thread here on what is what:

http://forum.x-cart.com/showthread.php?t=21529
Old 05-30-2007, 06:53 AM

eXpert

Argh! I am having a bit of a weird issue now. It may have been asked before but here goes.

I changed the customer side menu boxes. I was under the impression that the admin menu boxes were seperate from the customer menu boxes. However, parts of my admin page are now have the new customer side design, and parts of it does not. I looked for /skin1/admin/home.tpl but could not find it. The only home.tpl file I have is in the customer directory.

Am I misunderstanding the way the skin works? I realized when I changed some of the dingbats for the customer side, it changed the admin & was going to look for where to change the admin file to keep it looking different from the customer side. Now, my partner in crime who does the admin side of the cart is asking what I am doing to it when I never intended to change the admin side.

Help???

Old 05-30-2007, 06:56 AM

X-Guru

Did you use "webmaster mode" to see what lives where?
Old 05-30-2007, 09:40 AM

eXpert

Yes, I have and could only find customer files when I was in the admin side of the site.

X-Cart forums > X-Cart 4 > Dev Questions > Changing design