Follow us on Twitter X-Cart on Facebook Wiki
Shopping cart software Solutions for online shops and malls

Dynamic Images for X-Cart version 4.1.x

X-Cart forums > X-Cart 4 > Third Party Add-Ons for X-Cart 4

Old 10-07-2007, 12:10 PM

X-Adept

Default Re: Dynamic Images for X-Cart version 4.1.x

Stephen,

Thanks for your post. But, it may help to see what I am referring to as I may not have done a sufficient job describing the issues. I have attached a screen shot of what is occuring.

In the screen shot, you can see:
  1. That every variant that has a defined image is displayed. Thus, I see multiple images of the same as variant images are set to ALL sizes/color combinations. But, it knows they are the same color as only one instance of the image is created (and their lightbox links are also the same) it just displays one for every variant size in my case. That is an issue in your script.
  2. You can also see that I am receiving errors upon the initial access of a page as it takes longer than 30 seconds to generate the images when you have a lot of variables of the same style of item.
  3. Regarding load time: there needs to be a function to generate all images vs. one by one or at the time of import the product feed. One can't expect customers to generate the sites images the first time around...
  4. My test product (I'll IM you a link) has all variant images assigned and thus, XC changes the image with the dropdown selector.
I'll IM you now... Thanks for your help.

- Mike
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Sample_001.jpg (60.3 KB, 45 views)
Old 10-07-2007, 12:19 PM

Advanced Member

I ran into that same issue. It's a limitation of the mod...you'll have to turn off display variants. I too would love to see that issue resolved.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mffowler
Stephen,

Thanks for your post. But, it may help to see what I am referring to as I may not have done a sufficient job describing the issues. I have attached a screen shot of what is occuring.

1. That every variant that has a defined image is displayed. Thus, I see multiple images of the same as variant images are set to ALL sizes/color combinations. But, it knows they are the same color as only one instance of the image is created (and their lightbox links are also the same) it just displays one for every variant size in my case. That is an issue in your script.
  2. You can also see that I am receiving errors upon the initial access of a page as it takes longer than 30 seconds to generate the images when you have a lot of variables of the same style of item.
  3. Regarding load time: there needs to be a function to generate all images vs. one by one or at the time of import the product feed. One can't expect customers to generate the sites images the first time around...
  4. My test product (I'll IM you a link) has all variant images assigned and thus, XC changes the image with the dropdown selector.

- Mike
Old 10-07-2007, 01:57 PM

X-Adept

I have tried all the various configurations and the only workaround is to display the ' Display Detail Image thumbs..' and leave out variant images. At least that way you can have the larger lightbox popups of the detailed images.

I have also noticed that if I start adding variant images and use the 'Unsharp Mask' function of the mod, eventually my product options disappear (it takes five or six images). This might be a php resource issue, but I have this dev site on it's own server and server RAM or settings shouldn't be the issue.

There is another bug I just discovered as well with the lightbox and detailed images... but, that may be in how I am trying to use the workaround with the detailed images above. There's always something....

- Mike
Old 10-07-2007, 04:10 PM

Hi.. this mod looks pretty cool.. Any chance you could put together a page on your site to show what does in page snapshots? I am curious what the differences are with and without.. It's cheap enough i think this could be a nice option!

Thanks!
Marty
X-Cart ver 4.1.8 Moved to new server! Operating Mucho Better
X-AOM (Love it!!)
X-cart 4.4.3 finally in test ..! Help!
Old 10-08-2007, 02:54 AM

X-Adept

This is how the mode is supposed to work - it is just that in your case it is not exactly what you need. If variant images have been associated with a product and if you have that option checked, it will display the thumbnail of each variant. In your case, you are using the same image for many different variants, thus it seems like the same image is repeating. It is not. Also, this is not a limitation of the script. It is functioning correctly. You are using the same image multiple times. Just like if you were to upload the same image multiple times as a detail image, it would display them all. Also, it is not they the script knows they are the same color - the script knows that it is the same source image. The file name is generated by the source image parameters along with any parameter that you feed it. If you use the same source image for multiple variants and use the same parameters, then the generated images will have the same name.

For the timeout issues - this is tied back to how you are using the variants. In the screen shot you have one product image with 14 variants shown (before it timed out). This means that 45 images were generated before it timed out. 1 for the product image, 14 thumbnails, 15 variant images for use when a product option is changed and 15 images for use in the Lightbox popup.

It was requested by quite a few people that this mod use Lightbox for the popups. By doing this, it does cause the mod to generate 1/3 more images on the first load than it normally would. I guess this is the 80/20 rule. I included what the majority of the people asked for and in doing so made it fall slightly outside what might be usable in your special case.

Generating the images on product import defeats the function of this mod. It was structured so that it could be used as a Smarty function anywhere on the site. All you need to do is feed it the image location and the size parameters and it will generate and image that will be cached. This is how it can be used for all kinds of things across your site like in your shopping cart, in the best sellers list as well as integrate with third party mods. This also relates back to the first point in that the mod doesn't know that the options are the same, it knows that the source image is the same.

In your case, if you want to use the mod with all your variants there are two suggestions. My first suggestion, which is to use the detail images to show the different variation details or you can use variant images - just do not load the same image multiple times. You do not have to have a variant image with each product variant. You can have one image for the first brown variant, skip loading images for all other brown variants, then load an image for the first yellow variant.

The first option is still the best in your particular instance.
Quote:
Stephen,

- Mike
Old 10-08-2007, 03:02 AM

X-Adept

Quote:
I have tried all the various configurations and the only workaround is to display the ' Display Detail Image thumbs..' and leave out variant images. At least that way you can have the larger lightbox popups of the detailed images.

This was my suggestion on how to use it in your case. You can have detail images for each variation and still have all your variant images loaded. The product image will still change when you change an option in the dropdown but you don't have multiple images of the same things being loaded as thumbnails.

Quote:
I have also noticed that if I start adding variant images and use the 'Unsharp Mask' function of the mod, eventually my product options disappear (it takes five or six images). This might be a php resource issue, but I have this dev site on it's own server and server RAM or settings shouldn't be the issue.

I will look into this - I have never seen this issue before.

Quote:
There is another bug I just discovered as well with the lightbox and detailed images... but, that may be in how I am trying to use the workaround with the detailed images above. There's always something....

Describe this bug.
Old 10-08-2007, 03:03 AM

X-Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by expert47
Hi.. this mod looks pretty cool.. Any chance you could put together a page on your site to show what does in page snapshots? I am curious what the differences are with and without.. It's cheap enough i think this could be a nice option!

Thanks!
Marty

I will do this...
Old 10-09-2007, 03:57 AM

X-Adept

Thanks TelaFirma.

I'll try some of your suggestions and post back my results. I should say that every thing is *great* outside of my personal variant image issues. I love the fact that I can easily change image size for various instances of product images. Default X-Cart lacks this by default and even uses the main product image on the cart page. Also, scrolling through images is quite easy in the lightbox and it loads well.

All images can easily be changed by simply loading the required CSV during import or even just updating detailed images and any other way an image is imported.

Would you be able to make some minor custom modifications for me? This may better fix my variant image issue. I'll IM... Regardless of my complaints, this current version is worth the cost and your efforts to support it stand for themself.

Thanks,

Mike
Old 10-09-2007, 05:16 PM

I have purchased this addon but have not received any contact or the download?
Old 10-10-2007, 02:59 AM

X-Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecactive
I have purchased this addon but have not received any contact or the download?
You will be receiving it today. Usually the orders get process within a few hours, sometimes it takes a little longer.
   X-Cart forums > X-Cart 4 > Third Party Add-Ons for X-Cart 4