X-Cart 4.5.0 (ex 4.4.6) is available for beta testing

Closed Thread
   X-Cart forums > News and Announcements

Old 04-13-2012, 02:14 AM

X-Cart team

Default Re: X-Cart 4.5.0 (ex 4.4.6) is available for beta testing

Quote:
Originally Posted by am2003
Ecwid and LC3 are dealing great with the images. Thumbnails are not sharp on edges. You should think about improving XC working with images.

Thank you for the suggested improvement. I've read your post in X-Cart Customization > Completed Custom Mods & Templates thread and found it very useful.

The following user thanks rocky for this useful post:
am2003 (04-13-2012)
Old 04-13-2012, 05:09 AM

X-Man

It seems Ecwid and LC3 are promoting new features. XC4 is left behind, especially in design and features. Personally I prefer no new themes, but more "must have" small features. These 2 new themes did not impress me at all.

Images sell, that's why sites with attractive design and images are having good traffic. In the past there was a great module for Detailed Product Images, made by TelaFirma. Unfortunately he disappeared. That was a great mod for dealing with images.

Another thing I don't like XC renaming my uploaded images. For example, the poor results for thumbnails and product images resized by XC made me find a way to replace those images in one step - directly in images folder. Replacing them with good resized images made by me. For the moment I cannot do this, XC is renaming images with numbers, not leaving intact the original image name to make my life easier.

In 4.5.0 beta I see you didn't find a solution to fill that large gap in the source code, when CSS/JS Speed Tool is not used. In fact when I look over the source code I don't like how it is formated/arranged.

For the new versions I would like you take in consideration advices coming from the community. Not only asking us to grab the code for bugs. I am pretty sure you did not see what we saw in those years. I want to see XC improved because LC3 is far away being consider a switch from XC to a new modern cart. Who knows how many years it will take to see it close as functionality and feature with popular free open source carts.
OS in use: Red Hat Enterprise, Fedora, CentOS, Debian, Ubuntu, Linux Mint, Kali Linux
Ideas for Server configuration (basicaly): Nginx/Pound (reverse proxy), Apache/Nginx (webserver), Squid/Varnish (cache server), HHVM or (PHP-FPM + PHP 5.6 + opcache), MariaDB/Percona MySQL Server, Redis (storing sessions)

You can catch my ideas here: http://ideas.x-cart.com

The following user thanks ADDISON for this useful post:
totaltec (04-15-2012)
Old 04-14-2012, 02:40 AM

X-Man

Another annoying issue is about Product Tabs behavior.

1) Please go in any product detail page and click on a tab (e.g. Customer Feedback)

2) Now scroll the page with your mouse wheel down (no scroll). You still have access to click on the other tabs. Just click on one of them (e.g. Send to Friend)

3) The layout scrolls and the tab is not activated. Mouse pointer is positioned up than the tab. Very, very annoying.

This is happening for the very beginning when you added this feature in XC.
OS in use: Red Hat Enterprise, Fedora, CentOS, Debian, Ubuntu, Linux Mint, Kali Linux
Ideas for Server configuration (basicaly): Nginx/Pound (reverse proxy), Apache/Nginx (webserver), Squid/Varnish (cache server), HHVM or (PHP-FPM + PHP 5.6 + opcache), MariaDB/Percona MySQL Server, Redis (storing sessions)

Old 04-14-2012, 08:25 AM

Veteran

I never experienced this. So I tired again after your post in Chrome, Opera, Safari, FF and IE in 4.4.5 on Win systems - all works just fine. I tried the demo site as well - all works there too.
This has to be something specific to your system then or maybe the jQuery version?
Old 04-14-2012, 08:36 AM

X-Man

Steve, I am using Opera latest version. 3 systems same results, and no matter about resolution. This issue is related to Opera only. Chrome and Firefox latest versions, no issue.

1) Go here: http://demo.x-cart.com/demo/Three-Stone-Princess-Cut-Diamond-Ring.html

2) Click on "Customer also bought" tab. Now scroll the page down with your mouse wheel. Look at the bottom, a white space appears bellow footer.

3) Now click on Customer feedback. Scroll again, the white space bellow footer is still there. Try click on Send to Friend, the layout moves a little bit up, mouse pointer also, but Send to Friend tab is not active

The key of finding this issue is scrolling down the page at maximum with different tabs. You can see the screenshot for mysterious appearing/disappearing white space bellow the footer as attachment. If you did not find this issue, I will make a movie for this behavior.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg tabs.jpg (205.7 KB, 30 views)

Old 04-14-2012, 08:48 AM

Veteran

Nope. All works just fine for me. No white space below footer and all tabs activate just fine
Old 04-14-2012, 09:55 AM

X-Man

Just look at that image, it is showing the facts. In my case it is not fine at all. Three operating systems, Opera 11.62, QT demo not mine, same results. Looking for other testers to confirm.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cflsystems
Nope. All works just fine for me. No white space below footer and all tabs activate just fine

Old 04-16-2012, 05:19 AM

X-Cart team

Regarding the 4.4.5 -> 4.5.0 upgrade.

4.5.0 is a major release due to significant changes and improvements implemented in the new version (please refer to the first post in this thread for more details about these changes and improvements). That is the reason to release the database upgrade only, as it always used to be for the upgrades within major X-Cart branches.

The thing is that you should separate two different entities:

1. Current X-Cart 4.4.5 version which can be adjusted to meet PCI requirements. For this case we will prepare a special patch which will cut all the background methods off your site
2. X-Cart 4.5.0 with its new features and skins. It has always been so that only database upgrade is released because of the major changes between the two branches.

Fortunately, most development implemented on 4.4.5 can be seamlessly applied to 4.5.0 store. Here are some tips for upgrading your X-Cart from 4.4.5 to 4.5.0 as painlessly as possible:

1) Upgrade your X-Cart database from 4.4.5 to 4.5.0 using a special database upgrade script, and set up a fresh X-Cart 4.5.0 installation with the upgraded database.

2) If your customization or add-on module for 4.4.5 was implemented as a set of new files, diff files and SQL queries - you should be able to install your customization/module on 4.5.0.

3) If you implemented a custom skin for your X-Cart 4.4.5, and it was implemented as a separate templates set in skin directory - you should be able to install your custom skin on 4.5.0.

4) If there are any customizations applied to templates/css files in common_files folder, you can create a diff between your customized and default template files, then apply the diff on 4.4.5.

Be aware of the fact that if your customization or add-on module for 4.4.5 was implemented using SQL queries to xcart_products and xcart_products_lng tables, you will have to re-implement those queries to meet the improved data structure for 4.5.0 (Multi-language stores performance optimization). We will provide a detailed developer instruction concerning this improvement in our Knowledge Base soon.

Please also note that if you are not confident on how to upgrade your store we can always offer you the Upgrade service. Our professional engineers will apply the necessary changes and update your store to the most recent version for you.
Old 04-20-2012, 12:57 AM

Advanced Member

I've just installed Xcart 4.5.0 beta 1 in our developing server and it looks very cool! I appreciate support for UTF8 that helps me with multilanguage shops.

By the way... What about multilanguage support for meta-fields? It would be very useful to set meta-fields in "international descriptions" so I can perform SEO optimizations depending on the language...

Anyway thank you very much for your work!

The following 2 users thank extera for this useful post:
qualiteam (04-20-2012), rocky (04-20-2012)
Old 04-20-2012, 01:12 AM

X-Cart team

Quote:
Originally Posted by extera
I've just installed Xcart 4.5.0 beta 1 in our developing server and it looks very cool! I appreciate support for UTF8 that helps me with multilanguage shops.

Thank you for the positive feedback, much appreciated!

Quote:
Originally Posted by extera
By the way... What about multilanguage support for meta-fields? It would be very useful to set meta-fields in "international descriptions" so I can perform SEO optimizations depending on the language...

Anyway thank you very much for your work!

The current X-Cart architecture doesn't allow to specify multi-language meta fields so that search bots could index it correctly unfortunately, but we will definitely take your suggestion into consideration.

Thank you very much once again.

The following user thanks rocky for this useful post:
qualiteam (04-20-2012)
Closed Thread
   X-Cart forums > News and Announcements