Follow us on Twitter X-Cart on Facebook Wiki
Shopping cart software Solutions for online shops and malls

How do I display all subcategories along with all products

X-Cart forums > X-Cart 4 > Dev Questions > Changing design

Old 02-04-2006, 05:48 PM

Advanced Member

Default How do I display all subcategories along with all products

How do I display all subcategories along with all products under each subcategory on one page, here is what I want to do:
1 root category, has 2 subcategories, when customer clicks on root category, the subcategories.tpl displays 2 lines listed 2 subcategories, which is pretty ugly, I want it to dispaly like the following:
subcategory1
product1 under subcategory1
product2 under subcategory1
product3 under subcategory1
subcategory2
product1 under subcategory2
product2 under subcategory2

Thanks in advance if you can point me into a right direction
Fashion mosaic
Tabbed product menu
Old 02-28-2006, 08:25 AM

Advanced Member

TTT. I am looking for the same exact thing. Did anyone contact you prvately by chance with a aolution? Or were you able to find something in another threads that solved this for you? Thanks!

Brian
- CDSEO module

X-Cart Gold v4.1.11 [unix]
***38,000+ active products!
- CDSEO module
- Address Book module
- Reorder module
- Smart Search module

X-Cart Gold v4.4.2 [unix]
- in development now!
Old 06-21-2006, 08:37 PM

:: EDIT ::

Okay here's what I did and so far it seems to work:

The $products array gets defined in a code snippet at the bottom of $xcart_dir/products.php. I moved that code snippet into a new file $xcart_dir/products_by_catid.php and modified products.php to include the new file. Now I have the freedom to load a $products array any time I want. I simply set $cat then include products_by_catid.php. After I verified that this small change worked (i.e. hit reload and page still there), I then modified products.php to cycle through the $subcategories array and, for each subcategory, grab the products list and store it in a "products" field.

What would make this mod really nice would be a simple way to enable/disable it from the admin console. Any Ideas?

Also, the code snippet that I added to products.php could just as easily be placed in $xcart_dir/home.php instead, which may actually be a more appropriate place for it.

Feeback appreciated.

Thanx

-D
PS: Oh, and it would be nice to have another mod that would add the subcats for the subcats I might try that one later.

---
Here's a small test snippet and the file changes for the mod:

Test Snippet To Try In: $xcart_dir/skin1/customer/main/subcategories.tpl
Code:
{if $subcategories} <ul> {foreach from=$subcategories item=subcat} [*]{$subcat.category|escape} <ul> {foreach from=$subcat.products item=subproduct} {if $subproduct} [*]{$subproduct.product|escape} {/if} {/foreach} [/list] {/foreach} [/list]{/if}

Create New File: $xcart_dir/products_by_catid.php
Code:
<?php /*****************************************************************************\ +-----------------------------------------------------------------------------+ | X-Cart | | Copyright (c) 2001-2006 Ruslan R. Fazliev <rrf@rrf.ru> | | All rights reserved. | +-----------------------------------------------------------------------------+ | PLEASE READ THE FULL TEXT OF SOFTWARE LICENSE AGREEMENT IN THE "COPYRIGHT" | | FILE PROVIDED WITH THIS DISTRIBUTION. THE AGREEMENT TEXT IS ALSO AVAILABLE | | AT THE FOLLOWING URL: http://www.x-cart.com/license.php | | | | THIS AGREEMENT EXPRESSES THE TERMS AND CONDITIONS ON WHICH YOU MAY USE | | THIS SOFTWARE PROGRAM AND ASSOCIATED DOCUMENTATION THAT RUSLAN R. | | FAZLIEV (hereinafter referred to as "THE AUTHOR") IS FURNISHING OR MAKING | | AVAILABLE TO YOU WITH THIS AGREEMENT (COLLECTIVELY, THE "SOFTWARE"). | | PLEASE REVIEW THE TERMS AND CONDITIONS OF THIS LICENSE AGREEMENT | | CAREFULLY BEFORE INSTALLING OR USING THE SOFTWARE. BY INSTALLING, | | COPYING OR OTHERWISE USING THE SOFTWARE, YOU AND YOUR COMPANY | | (COLLECTIVELY, "YOU") ARE ACCEPTING AND AGREEING TO THE TERMS OF THIS | | LICENSE AGREEMENT. IF YOU ARE NOT WILLING TO BE BOUND BY THIS | | AGREEMENT, DO NOT INSTALL OR USE THE SOFTWARE. VARIOUS COPYRIGHTS AND | | OTHER INTELLECTUAL PROPERTY RIGHTS PROTECT THE SOFTWARE. THIS | | AGREEMENT IS A LICENSE AGREEMENT THAT GIVES YOU LIMITED RIGHTS TO USE | | THE SOFTWARE AND NOT AN AGREEMENT FOR SALE OR FOR TRANSFER OF TITLE.| | THE AUTHOR RETAINS ALL RIGHTS NOT EXPRESSLY GRANTED BY THIS AGREEMENT. | | | | The Initial Developer of the Original Code is Ruslan R. Fazliev | | Portions created by Ruslan R. Fazliev are Copyright (C) 2001-2006 | | Ruslan R. Fazliev. All Rights Reserved. | +-----------------------------------------------------------------------------+ \*****************************************************************************/ # # $Id: products.php,v 1.12 2006/01/11 06:55:57 mclap Exp $ # # Navigation code # if ( !defined('XCART_START') ) { header("Location: home.php"); die("Access denied"); } # DavidPFarrell - This code was copied, unaltered, from $xcart_dir/products.php # # Get products data for current category and store it into $products array # $old_search_data = $search_data["products"]; $old_mode = $mode; $search_data["products"] = array(); $search_data["products"]["categoryid"] = $cat; $search_data["products"]["search_in_subcategories"] = ""; $search_data["products"]["category_main"] = "Y"; $search_data["products"]["category_extra"] = "Y"; $search_data["products"]["forsale"] = "Y"; if(!isset($sort)) $sort = $config["Appearance"]["products_order"]; if(!isset($sort_direction)) $sort_direction = 0; $mode = "search"; include $xcart_dir."/include/search.php"; $search_data["products"] = $old_search_data; $mode = $old_mode; if (!empty($active_modules["Subscriptions"])) { include $xcart_dir."/modules/Subscriptions/subscription.php"; } # /DavidPFarrell ?>

Modify File: $xcart_dir/products.php
Code:
<?php /*****************************************************************************\ +-----------------------------------------------------------------------------+ | X-Cart | | Copyright (c) 2001-2006 Ruslan R. Fazliev <rrf@rrf.ru> | | All rights reserved. | +-----------------------------------------------------------------------------+ | PLEASE READ THE FULL TEXT OF SOFTWARE LICENSE AGREEMENT IN THE "COPYRIGHT" | | FILE PROVIDED WITH THIS DISTRIBUTION. THE AGREEMENT TEXT IS ALSO AVAILABLE | | AT THE FOLLOWING URL: http://www.x-cart.com/license.php | | | | THIS AGREEMENT EXPRESSES THE TERMS AND CONDITIONS ON WHICH YOU MAY USE | | THIS SOFTWARE PROGRAM AND ASSOCIATED DOCUMENTATION THAT RUSLAN R. | | FAZLIEV (hereinafter referred to as "THE AUTHOR") IS FURNISHING OR MAKING | | AVAILABLE TO YOU WITH THIS AGREEMENT (COLLECTIVELY, THE "SOFTWARE"). | | PLEASE REVIEW THE TERMS AND CONDITIONS OF THIS LICENSE AGREEMENT | | CAREFULLY BEFORE INSTALLING OR USING THE SOFTWARE. BY INSTALLING, | | COPYING OR OTHERWISE USING THE SOFTWARE, YOU AND YOUR COMPANY | | (COLLECTIVELY, "YOU") ARE ACCEPTING AND AGREEING TO THE TERMS OF THIS | | LICENSE AGREEMENT. IF YOU ARE NOT WILLING TO BE BOUND BY THIS | | AGREEMENT, DO NOT INSTALL OR USE THE SOFTWARE. VARIOUS COPYRIGHTS AND | | OTHER INTELLECTUAL PROPERTY RIGHTS PROTECT THE SOFTWARE. THIS | | AGREEMENT IS A LICENSE AGREEMENT THAT GIVES YOU LIMITED RIGHTS TO USE | | THE SOFTWARE AND NOT AN AGREEMENT FOR SALE OR FOR TRANSFER OF TITLE.| | THE AUTHOR RETAINS ALL RIGHTS NOT EXPRESSLY GRANTED BY THIS AGREEMENT. | | | | The Initial Developer of the Original Code is Ruslan R. Fazliev | | Portions created by Ruslan R. Fazliev are Copyright (C) 2001-2006 | | Ruslan R. Fazliev. All Rights Reserved. | +-----------------------------------------------------------------------------+ \*****************************************************************************/ # # $Id: products.php,v 1.12 2006/01/11 06:55:57 mclap Exp $ # # Navigation code # if ( !defined('XCART_START') ) { header("Location: home.php"); die("Access denied"); } if ($config["General"]["disable_outofstock_products"] == "Y") { $avail = ($config["General"]["unlimited_products"] =="N")? " AND $sql_tbl[products].avail>0 " : ""; $current_category["product_count"] = func_query_first_cell ("SELECT COUNT(*) FROM $sql_tbl[products], $sql_tbl[products_categories] WHERE $sql_tbl[products].productid=$sql_tbl[products_categories].productid AND $sql_tbl[products].forsale='Y' $avail AND $sql_tbl[products_categories].categoryid='$cat'"); if (is_array($subcategories)) { foreach($subcategories as $k=>$v) { $subcategories[$k]["product_count"] = func_query_first_cell ("SELECT COUNT(*) FROM $sql_tbl[products], $sql_tbl[products_categories] WHERE $sql_tbl[products].productid=$sql_tbl[products_categories].productid AND $sql_tbl[products].forsale='Y' $avail AND $sql_tbl[products_categories].categoryid='$v[categoryid]'"); } $smarty->assign("subcategories",$subcategories); } } if ($active_modules["Advanced_Statistics"] && !defined("IS_ROBOT")) include $xcart_dir."/modules/Advanced_Statistics/cat_viewed.php"; # DavidPFarrell - Add a "products" field to each subcategory containing the array of products for that subcategory if (is_array($subcategories)) { $_oldcat = $cat; foreach ($subcategories as $_catid => $_subcat) { if (!empty($_catid)) { $cat = $_catid; $products = ""; include $xcart_dir."/products_by_catid.php"; if (is_array($products)) { $subcategories[$_catid]["products"] = $products; } } } $smarty->assign("subcategories",$subcategories); $cat = $_oldcat; } # /DavidPFarrell include $xcart_dir."/products_by_catid.php"; $smarty->assign("products",$products); $smarty->assign("navigation_script","home.php?cat=$cat&sort=$sort&sort_direction=$sort_direction"); ?>

=== Original Post ===
I could really use a response to this if anyone is out there?

It looks like "products.php" finds the product list via a specialized search. I was thinking we could do a similar thing within the loop that cycles through the sub-cats.

I was also thinking of trying to modify home.php and/or categories.php and/or products.php to create "subcat_products[subCatId]" (and possibly subcat_subcats[])

My concern with these is the extra function calls or includes changing variables that aren't needed for this mod but might be needed by other pages.

Ideas?
Old 08-06-2007, 01:54 PM

Advanced Member

Default Re: How do I display all subcategories along with all products

I needed to add
Code:
$products = "";
after
Code:
$smarty->assign("subcategories",$subcategories); $cat = $_oldcat;
in your products.php custom routine.
Here's why:
If the category has no products but has multiple subcategories, and if the last category of those subcategories has products, the page would display these products twice. Once within the sub category and once underneath the category.
Old 10-25-2007, 09:41 AM

Advanced Member

Do you guys have a sample URL I could take a look at to see what this would look like?
Old 10-25-2007, 10:17 AM

Advanced Member

Default Display SubCategory titles with products

I have searched through the forum and could not find anyone who has been able to implement this:

SubCategory Title
-------------------------------------------
product1 product2

product3 product4

SubCategory Title2
-------------------------------------------
product1 product2

product3 product4

Right now, it only shows products in the root category with all the SubCategory Titles above.
Old 10-26-2007, 04:11 AM

X-Wizard

Default Re: Display SubCategory titles with products

Do you mean on the crumb trail ?
MySQL 5.6.37
CentOS 7.4

Chamber Internet
- Lancashire, United Kingdom
http://www.chamberelancs.co.uk
Old 10-26-2007, 09:45 AM

Advanced Member

Here's a store that utilizes this custom mod: View Example Live Store
The store owner hasn't added many products yet but you should still be able to get a good idea of how it looks.
Old 10-26-2007, 09:48 AM

Advanced Member

Do you have the mod instructions for installation? I am using 4.1.8 and it does not apear to work for me with the instructions above.
Old 10-26-2007, 10:06 AM

Advanced Member

Default Re: Display SubCategory titles with products

No, on the actual page.

I need it to appear like this sample:
http://www.jackmansfabrics.com/Bridal-Fabrics-p-1-c-294.html
   X-Cart forums > X-Cart 4 > Dev Questions > Changing design