Follow us on Twitter X-Cart on Facebook Wiki
Shopping cart software Solutions for online shops and malls

Template modifications interaction with patches/updates

X-Cart forums > X-Cart 4 > Dev Questions > Changing design

Old 04-22-2003, 01:40 PM

Default Template modifications interaction with patches/updates

I would like to delve into custom template changes to x-cart for my clients. But, before I do this I want to understand more about how this affects the process of upgrading to a newer version of x-cart. How much does customization actually affect updates to the program or vice-versa?
Old 04-23-2003, 04:00 AM

X-Man

The updates work on a diff file and will search through your templates find relavent 'markers' to start the edits. These delete some stuff and replace with others.

Any that fail are produced in a nice neat list for you...ish

Shouldn't really stop you from making mods though.
Old 04-23-2003, 07:20 AM

OK, see if I understand correctly. By "delete some stuff and replace with others" do you mean that it will search for the original code in the files it expects to find, replace with changes...but if it encounters a preexisting .tpl that I modified, so much so that it can no longer make edits, that it will list my modified .tpl as having had an opportunity for upgrade/patch yet nothing was done.

You talk as if "mods" are different...by mods do you mean "modifications" like mentioned above or "modules"? When you say,
Quote:
Shouldn't really stop you from making mods though.
I'm assuming that you mean making a module or rather a wholly separate feature or some such for one of your clients.

Sorry to be a pest FD! I'm just trying to minimize the headache I go through when I attempt to install the latest and greatest xcart, while trying to preserve visual customizations for my client.

Dragao.
Old 04-23-2003, 08:47 AM

X-Man

Sorry - I mean modifications to the templates.

You are right with your reading of my rather hurried post - if the upgrade system cant find what it is looking for it will list that template as not being 'fixed' and you will need to amend it manually - or not bother if what it was trying to do is not what you want.

On the whole it works fine for an upgrade process in a cart software that allows so many changes.
   X-Cart forums > X-Cart 4 > Dev Questions > Changing design