Follow us on Twitter X-Cart on Facebook Wiki
Shopping cart software Solutions for online shops and malls

XC5 - Support for PHP 8.0 & subsequent PHP 8.* releases

X-Cart forums > X-Cart 5 > General questions (X-Cart 5)

Old 12-15-2020, 01:06 AM

X-Wizard

Default XC5 - Support for PHP 8.0 & subsequent PHP 8.* releases

By pure chance, saw that PHP 8.0 support was on a previous 'road map' for XC4. There's no such 'road map' for XC5 (that's available online anyway) so raising the question about future support for PHP 8.0 by XC5? Here is the PHP Support Schedule for reference. The last change for XC5 in terms of PHP release support, was almost kept as a secret Only found out about it via posts by other users on this forum. These were other users that had made the switch over to PHP 7.4.* and tested things themselves, in advance, then bug fixes were applied by XC and it became usable - but still via knowledge by accident mainly, not a timely official announcement as expected. New forum format, new approach to notifications by XC? Fingers crossed then!
Old 12-15-2020, 09:34 AM

X-Cart team

Default Re: XC5 - Support for PHP 8.0 & subsequent PHP 8.* releases

Thanks for this question!

There is no ETA on this big change yet. 5.4.2.x won't be adapted to PHP 8 for sure.

The main issue is that a lot of libs don't support PHP 8 yet. Moreover, some of them have such plans (adapting), and some of them are going to be dropped (as a result, forks have to be developed and adapted). Some of the libs are going to support only the "upper" versions like >7.3 so all the previous ones won't be compatible.

Anyway, I will always post a "New 5.N.N.N version released" with a changelog link so you can see all the included changes/fixes/improvements.

The following user thanks memoto for this useful post:
Triple A Racing (12-16-2020)
Old 12-16-2020, 07:41 AM

X-Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by memoto
There is no ETA on this big change yet. 5.4.2.x won't be adapted to PHP 8 for sure
XC seem happy to always be very, very lax, when maintaining current technical ability and security specifications for their paying customers
Quote:
The main issue is that a lot of libs don't support PHP 8 yet. Moreover, some of them have such plans (adapting), and some of them are going to be dropped (as a result, forks have to be developed and adapted). Some of the libs are going to support only the "upper" versions like >7.3 so all the previous ones won't be compatible
Good point well made, although... we have a still unresolved bug ticket, that was raised in September this year, which illustrates lots of vendor / 3rd party supplier packages used by XC5 that are hopelessly out of date and many of which have CVE-s raised against them... That's way beyond acceptable. So XC hiding behind 'waiting for other developers' is a huge ask / misdirection / excuse to justify NOT already being focused on ensuring XC5 fully supports PHP 8.0.
Quote:
Anyway, I will always post a "New 5.N.N.N version released" with a changelog link so you can see all the included changes/fixes/improvements.
As has been stated previously, but has fallen on deaf ears, nobody wants more bumf / bling / garnish etc. What we really want, is a) XC5 to work 100% properly - consistently b) XC5 to be fully up to date (see previous) and c) The XC5 Service Area / Marketplace fiasco to be fully resolved. Then and only then should the people in charge at XC mention XC 5.N.N.N and all of its 'new features'

The following user thanks Triple A Racing for this useful post:
memoto (12-16-2020)
Old 12-16-2020, 08:36 AM

X-Cart team

Thank you for your feedback. I've shared this with our product and engineering teams.

I'd also be happy to help look into the status of any open ticket if you can share a ticket number.

The following user thanks memoto for this useful post:
Triple A Racing (12-16-2020)
Old 12-16-2020, 05:40 PM

X-Wizard

Quote:
I'd also be happy to help look into the status of any open ticket if you can share a ticket number.
Sent further information via PM
Old 01-14-2022, 02:46 AM

X-Wizard

Quote:
~~There is no ETA on this big change yet. 5.4.2.x won't be adapted to PHP 8 for sure. The main issue is that a lot of libs don't support PHP 8 yet. Moreover, some of them have such plans (adapting), and some of them are going to be dropped (as a result, forks have to be developed and adapted). Some of the libs are going to support only the "upper" versions like >7.3 so all the previous ones won't be compatible. Anyway, I will always post a "New 5.N.N.N version released" with a changelog link so you can see all the included changes/fixes/improvements.
Here we are...Well over a year since this ^^ Aka The Update (promised changes) that never happened

Relevant things to note:

1) After taking people's money willynilly for "support" XC haven't actually provided anything at all since 1/11/21. Have look yourself: https://devs.x-cart.com/changelog/ Are they still asleep?

2) Even better, XC5.4.1.* now has the most - ever - number of point releases of any XC5 version and the XC5.4.2.* mentioned above is, wait for it, still "...conspicuous by it's absence"

3) PHP Support? XC are hanging on to XC7.4.* like ia drowning child, yet, as you can clearly see here: https://www.php.net/supported-versions.php It has already lost active support, PHP 8.0.* is already, NOT the current stable release because PHP 8.1.* is... Hello XC are you aware that self-hosted customers still exist?

AFAIK Misrepresentation is still a criminal act. Class-action litigation can't be that far away... can it?

The following user thanks Triple A Racing for this useful post:
Ed B. (02-03-2022)
Old 02-03-2022, 09:04 AM

X-Adept

Actually it would be nice if X-Cart supported php 7.4 before talking about 8.0.. I can't run X-Cart with php 7.4. For example, if I write something like https://devs.x-cart.com/basics/working_with_x-cart_externally.html then I get the following error

Code:
[Thu Feb 03 16:39:23.906710 2022] [proxy_fcgi:error] [pid 1382704] [client 192.168.1.1:46168] AH01071: Got error 'PHP message: PHP Deprecated: Required parameter $message follows optional parameter $dbURL in path-to-xcart/Includes/functions.php on line 818PHP message: PHP Fatal error: Declaration of Doctrine\\DBAL\\Driver\\PDOConnection::query() must be compatible with PDO::query(string $query, ?int $fetchMode = null, mixed ...$fetchModeArgs) in path-to-xcart/vendor/doctrine/dbal/lib/Doctrine/DBAL/Driver/PDOConnection.php on line 70'
Old 02-03-2022, 03:56 PM

X-Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed B.
Actually it would be nice if X-Cart supported php 7.4 before talking about 8.0.
AFAIK XC-5.4.1.* does officially support PHP 7.4.*
Quote:
I can't run X-Cart with php 7.4
We've run XC-5.4.1.* on PHP 7.4.* for a long time now, without any (PHP) issues, including the one that you've posted (although we don't have any need for that specific functionality anyway TBF). Going to post separately soon, on a different main topic, but XC5 support of PHP 8.0.* and PHP 8.1.* will be a part of that too.
Old 02-04-2022, 06:41 AM

Veteran

Quote:
Actually it would be nice if X-Cart supported php 7.4 before talking about 8.0.. I can't run X-Cart with php 7.4. For example, if I write something like https://devs.x-cart.com/basics/working_with_x-cart_externally.html then I get the following error

if you are on 5.2.x as your signature suggest or even 5.3.x you cannot run it on PHP 7.4. You can't run it on MySQL 8 either. And no one will touch these old versions to make them compatible.

PHP 7.4 and MySQL 8 work only with XC 5.4.x.

The error you have posted is most likely with the 3rd party framework.

Considering the newest Symfony version requires PHP 8.0.2+ and a lot of the other 3rd party software XC uses are ready for PHP 8 yet XC 5.4.x is not I can assume they will not do anything about it. So 5.4.1.x will stay as is and maybe maybe 5.4.2 will be PHP 8 ready, or maybe 5.5.x and above only. When PHP 8 is being deprecated... maybe
Old 02-05-2022, 01:40 AM

X-Adept

Oh, sorry, my signature is about our last production store, but I have bunch of different developement stores including one version 5.4.1.34 running with latest mariadb and php 7.3 and 7.2. and I can't run them with php7.4.
   X-Cart forums > X-Cart 5 > General questions (X-Cart 5)