Follow us on Twitter X-Cart on Facebook Wiki
Shopping cart software Solutions for online shops and malls

How To Remove Google Analytics Spam - Referral Spam / Language Spam

X-Cart forums > General > General talk

Old 12-07-2016, 03:51 PM

X-Man

Default How To Remove Google Analytics Spam - Referral Spam / Language Spam

If you've looked in your Google Analytics at any point in the last year, you've probably seen inflated numbers with regards to traffic to your site. Unless you setup a filter/segment, you'll continue to see those inflated numbers.

You may have heard the term "Ghost Referrals" or "Referral Spam", but last week a new player entered the right - "Language Spam."

Ghost Referral Spam basically is a script that runs and tells Google Analytics that someone was on your site. Sadly, they never actually get to you site and instead just inflate the numbers. They then enter a shady URL as the referral source hoping that webmasters will click the link and end up on their site.

Last week, Language Spam hit the market. So now, instead of seeing "en-us" "en-gb" "ru" or other language declarations as to what a user has set in their browser, we were greeted with "Secret.ɢoogle.com You are invited! Enter only with this ticket URL. Copy it. Vote for Trump!" as being the language.

Definitely SPAM!

Not to worry, we have a guide on how to remove it and setup segments so you can filter out all the junk traffic and see just how many REAL people are getting to your site - How To Remove Referral / Language Spam in Google Analytics

If you have any questions about how it works or what you can do, drop me a note or reply here. I'm happy to help.

One day, these spammers and hackers will find a special seat in hell, but until then, we just have to filter out their antics!
Omaha SEO Office with National & Local SEO Services
Hourly Consulting - great for SEO Disaster Recovery, Audits and DIY Guidance
Old 02-07-2017, 07:18 AM

Banned

Default Re: How To Remove Google Analytics Spam - Referral Spam / Language Spam

Facing same issues few months ago. Really worried about spam referrals, bots from Russia and Ukraine. Two months ago daily about 100 hit to my website and present 10/20. I know for sure these are not real traffic cause I checked them many times in analytics. In real time analysis in analytics there was no visitors but in blog data it was showing 60/70 hit at a time. Suggestion appreciated. Thanks.
Old 02-07-2017, 07:55 AM

X-Man

Thanks for the post!

This reminds me that I need to update that article again. It's only been 2 months, but there are already newer ways to combat this.

Here's the best way to combat spam using segments (ability to view past traffic to your site)

1) Create a SEGMENT in Google Analytics. On the left side, under Advanced, click the "Conditions" tab.
Set the filter as follows:
Sessions, Exclude
Language. matches regex.

Enter this in the field: \s[^\s]*\s|.{15,}|\.|,

Click save.

Essentially, this says that if the language is not a REAL language, then block it. This is for the SEGMENTS (ability to view the past).

I had a great chat with Carlos Escalera a few weeks ago and he has a pretty extensive post dealing with Google Analytics Spam on his blog - https://www.ohow.co/ultimate-guide-to-removing-irrelevant-traffic-in-google-analytics/#c-creating-a-filter-for-language-spam

Basically, he sets up the segments, sets up filters (for the future), ignores robot crawlers, and makes use the hostname filter.

The hostname filter is key! This says that if the traffic didn't come to your site, it's not real traffic.

If you follow his guide (more extensive than mine could ever be), that'll get things on the right track for you!

Let me know if you have any questions. I implemented each of Chris's suggestions and haven't had an issue since. If you run into any problems, let me know and I'll help where I can!
Omaha SEO Office with National & Local SEO Services
Hourly Consulting - great for SEO Disaster Recovery, Audits and DIY Guidance

The following 2 users thank bigredseo for this useful post:
elmirage001 (02-07-2017), Triple A Racing (02-08-2017)
Old 02-15-2017, 11:52 PM

Banned

Had similar problem right now and still confuse how to solve it.
   X-Cart forums > General > General talk