Follow us on Twitter X-Cart on Facebook Wiki
Shopping cart software Solutions for online shops and malls

Consensus on setting up CDSEO

X-Cart forums > X-Cart 4 > Third Party Add-Ons for X-Cart 4

Old 07-15-2008, 05:08 AM

Advanced Member

Default Consensus on setting up CDSEO

Okay...first off...I must say this is an awesome mod...I wish I saw this a long time ago...but it's better late than never...

Okay my questions revolves around how people that have this mod have set it up...

I currently have the following:
  • CATEGORIES - Setup as .html
  • PRODUCTS - Setup as .html
  • MANUFACTURERS - Setup as .html
  • STATIC PAGES - Setup as .html
The only one I have hesitations on is Categories....I can't really decide to set it up as folder or leave it as .html. What have you guys done and what works better...

I can see the benifit of having it as a folder...this way I can keep variations of the same .html to a minimum...but are folders considered lower or high when it comes to SE???
One Page Checkout v1.3.11
CDSEO
PHP 5.2.9
SQL 5.1.30

Old 07-15-2008, 07:37 AM

X-Guru

Default Re: Consensus on setting up CDSEO

Folders vs html is seo debatable and I don't feel there's a clear winner.

The debate for html files is that the closer a document is to root the more importance google gives. The debate for folders is that folders give breadth to a website and google ranks larger sites with more information with more importance.
Old 07-15-2008, 08:12 AM

Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon
The debate for folders is that folders give breadth to a website and google ranks larger sites with more information with more importance.

That's what I was thinking as well because I believe google ranks you lower for site with a large amount of pages with the same kind of link...

My site is related to Automotive and because I was trying to come up with a good way to catagorize car models...I created catagories for each model, this creates quite a large catagory structure...and in doing so if I have catagories set up for .html I end up with a lot of pages that are similar...

Imagine a particular brand of car wax linked to a bunch of catagories...it's the same car wax but now i have a bunch of .html for the same product...and I'm concerned that google is going to see this and disregard the pages because there are so many similar pages.. So I figure that setting up the categories as folders may help eliminate a bunch of pages and allow me to only concentrate on the individual product themselves... But as mentioned I currently have these set to .html.
CDSEO
PHP 5.2.9
SQL 5.1.30

Old 07-15-2008, 08:18 AM

X-Wizard

If using folders just be careful of putting the "same product" into multiple categories, as that will lead to duplicate easier - this is one advantage of not using folders for some perhaps.

Cheers - Asiaplay
Old 07-15-2008, 08:28 AM

Advanced Member

Yeah it's kinda toughie...haha

But what I did was exported the .csv files from within CDSEO and created a concatenate for the url or could be folder...which combines the text I want with the category ID to eliminate the possibility of duplicating the file name...

Kinda on a side note...this mod really works...I just got it this weekend and had google re-index my sitemap and whola...I'm already showing hi on googles search with some basic search terms for products that never were up on the list... This Mod really does KI$K A$$....I'm excited to hopefully see this increase sales...
CDSEO
PHP 5.2.9
SQL 5.1.30

X-Cart forums > X-Cart 4 > Third Party Add-Ons for X-Cart 4