Shopping cart software Solutions for online shops and malls

X-Cart 4.2 released

X-Cart forums > News and Announcements

Old 12-22-2008, 08:07 AM

eXpert

Default Re: X-Cart 4.2 released

Quote:
Originally Posted by carpeperdiem

Thanks carpe... i downloaded ultraedit.... and it works fine. Didnt know this was possible. till now hehe.

Using: X-cart 4.5.4
AT: http://www.weckonline.com LIVE
Old 12-23-2008, 07:40 AM

A couple of months ago, I finally decided to upgrade to 4.1.11 and I'm happy with the upgrade but unfortunately I spent a lot of time on the upgrade and skin and the release of v4.2 means all that work is now wasted.
I've read loads of replies here stating that people should stick with their 4.x versions but unfortunately, that really isn't a good idea for the following reason...
I don't know how many people are aware of how google ranks the websites it spiders, but I build websites for a living and for those who aren't aware, clean CSS and SEO friendly URL's is the ONLY way to go.
I've just finished converting a friend's website to CSS from tables and used mod_rewrite to make search engine friendly URL's. Within 3 weeks, the site has moved from page 15 on google to page 1 - position 1 for the same search phrases.
This means that anyone who sticks with an older version of x-cart may see their shop slipping down the pages of google and being replaced in the rankings by shops using v4.2 selling the same/similar items.
So in summary, X-Cart 4.1.11 and older versions are now obsolete and the old addage "if it aint broke, don't fix it" doesn't apply because when it comes to google rank, anything that gives the competition an advantage, means your site IS broke so sticking with a pre-4.2 version is a bad idea.
As much as I hate the thought of starting my shop from scratch AGAIN!, It is unfortunately a necessary evil... I just wish I'd been informed that that X-Cart were planning the shift to a CSS based layout before I spent what amounts to thousands of $$$ upgrading to 4.1.11.
Thanks Guys!
Old 12-23-2008, 07:46 AM

Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Jones
I don't know how many people are aware of how google ranks the websites it spiders, but I build websites for a living and for those who aren't aware, clean CSS and SEO friendly URL's is the ONLY way to go.
I've just finished converting a friend's website to CSS from tables and used mod_rewrite to make search engine friendly URL's. Within 3 weeks, the site has moved from page 15 on google to page 1 - position 1 for the same search phrases.
This means that anyone who sticks with an older version of x-cart may see their shop slipping down the pages of google and being replaced in the rankings by shops using v4.2 selling the same/similar items.
So in summary, X-Cart 4.1.11 and older versions are now obsolete and the old addage "if it aint broke, don't fix it" doesn't apply because when it comes to google rank, anything that gives the competition an advantage, means your site IS broke so sticking with a pre-4.2 version is a bad idea.
As much as I hate the thought of starting my shop from scratch AGAIN!, It is unfortunately a necessary evil... I just wish I'd been informed that that X-Cart were planning the shift to a CSS based layout before I spent what amounts to thousands of $$$ upgrading to 4.1.11.
Thanks Guys!

I just want to say that I completely agree! I am diligently working on our site now so that I can get it up as quickly as possible.
I do think that the changes will make significant differences in search ranking.

Another important note is that the relevant information for the products is now much closer to the top of the page when displayed to the search engines. Now the spiders don't have to crawl through 75% of a page before getting to the important information.
Old 12-23-2008, 08:00 AM

eXpert

Hi,

As an alternative we converted an existing 4.1.11 to use far more css, it took a few days, it's not perfect but does give a nice SEO result with google plus adding CDSEO pro into the mix it's spot on and FAR easier than starting afresh.

Plus you can still use many exisiting mods (with a little adjustment in some cases!)

Tony
One Page Checkout, On-Sale, Dynamic Images ++++ Loads of others.
+ 2 Multi Domain stores on 4.1.9
Old 12-23-2008, 08:09 AM

X-Adept

I would like to add as above that if you are not on 4.2, you can install CDSEO pro very easily which is does clean-URLs for SEO. As most mods are not 4.2 ready it would not be advisable to jump to it in my opinion until 1 or 2 further bug fix versions at least are released as it has only been out a week or two.

Ultimate 5.4 testing
Old 12-23-2008, 08:15 AM

I've just installed 4.2 on a test site... I like it but the CSS is a bit messy.
It took me 10 mins to gain a 25% reduction in the CSS size and the site loads a lot faster so if you're planning on installing v4.2, I'd advise optimizing the CSS .
Old 12-23-2008, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichieRich
I would like to add as above that if you are not on 4.2, you can install CDSEO pro very easily which is does clean-URLs for SEO. As most mods are not 4.2 ready it would not be advisable to jump to it in my opinion until 1 or 2 further bug fix versions at least are released as it has only been out a week or two.

So you think that spending an additional $199 for a feature that's already implimented in v4.2 and throwing it in the bin when you decide to upgrade in a few weeks makes good financial sense?
Is there also a tool that converts 4.1.11 to CSS?
Old 12-23-2008, 08:51 AM

eXpert

Hi,

But (as in our case) if you have spent many hours already implementing a store getting it SEO'd would be a sensible option, 4.2 according to those 'in the know' have suggested that waiting for a couple of versions to be released before going live, 4.1.11 is the result of many bug fixes and real world testing.

Tony
One Page Checkout, On-Sale, Dynamic Images ++++ Loads of others.
+ 2 Multi Domain stores on 4.1.9
Old 12-23-2008, 09:06 AM

Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Jones
A couple of months ago,
Thanks Guys!

With all that said. if you install CDSEO... your further ahead then the code and options they have added. AND.. you have a 'stable' software (well as stable as they seem to be able to make it. Other than mass mailing a security problem the SAME DAY they released 4.2 <very very odd>).
FancyCategories
RMA
SpecialOffers
Sales-n-Stats Live
Price Match
Checkout Specials
Testimonials
Recently Added-Shop points
Magnifier
Gift Registry
CDSEO
SnS <-- no longer supported -just ripped off for registration
Price Match
Product Manager
Tag Cloud
Glossary
Marketing Manager
On Sale
Customer Reward Points
Customer Referral Points.. and others

Shooter

Visit us at ShootersBilliards.com for all of your pool cue and billiards needs.
Old 12-23-2008, 09:22 AM

Veteran

Quote:

Yes, of COURSE that is true, but that still doesn't mean it is time to jump on 4.2. There are countless add-ons that a store can't be without, and until those mods are converted to the 4.2 branch, we are simply saying to wait before going with 4.2.

While we have been using a CSS layout for our X-Cart clients for quite some time, we've also seen some sites do extremely well in Google with the stock X-Cart templates and CDSEO. The core of SEO is still content, content, content.
   X-Cart forums > News and Announcements