Follow us on Twitter X-Cart on Facebook Wiki
Shopping cart software Solutions for online shops and malls

light responsive category menu

X-Cart forums > X-Cart 4 > Dev Questions > Changing design

Old 05-24-2015, 02:42 PM

eXpert

Default light responsive category menu

So on the Light Responsive template, when it is viewed on anything where the mobile_header is invoked, the shopping categories are dropped to the very bottom of the page, and there is no category drop down on the mobile header (which i would expect, as a user)

so, I've been playing with it a bunch - I can get it to work if I turn off fancy categories; but I want fancy categories (I have only a handful of categories for this site).

Is there a way to modify the categories.tpl (or .php file, even), so that I can use the non-fancy categories on the mobile_header menu, and use fancy categories on the desktop site? I've tried everything I can think of, and my eyes and brain are going buggy, so I figured I'd toss this out there.

ALSO - in the light responsive template, if you want your images to be responsive, you need to modify the product_thumbnail.tpl - I made the image width into max-width, and before that I placed a width="100%" - which means that it will go to 100%, but not larger than the defined size.
AlteredCart: On-Sale, One Page Checkout, Checkout One Payments (although that's not working yet)
BCSE: Back in stock Notify, Checkbox Radio Mod, Upselling Links
SMACK: CDSEO Pro, Product Map
X-Cart: Gold+, Mobile
(still trying to get working: Gahela Support Suite)
Old 05-24-2015, 08:16 PM

eXpert

Default Re: light responsive category menu

Ok - so, figured it out. If anybody else cares, here's what I did:

First, I created a new file in light_responsive -> customer and named it mobile_categories.tpl

The contents of the file look like this:

Code:
{if $categories_menu_list ne '' or $fancy_use_cache} {capture name=menu} {foreach from=$categories_menu_list item=c name=categories} <li{interline name=categories foreach_iteration="`$smarty.foreach.categories.iteration`" foreach_total="`$smarty.foreach.categories.total`"}><a href="home.php?cat={$c.categoryid}" title="{$c.category|escape}">{$c.category|amp}</a></li> {/foreach} {assign var="additional_class" value="menu-categories-list-simple"} {/capture} <ul> {$smarty.capture.menu} </ul> {/if}

Then, in mobile_header.tpl, I added the following code immediately after the first ul:

Code:
<li class="dropdown"> <a id="main-menu-toggle" class="dropdown-toggle" href="#"> <span class="fa fa-th-list"></span> </a> <div id="categories-menu-box" class="dropdown-menu"> {include file="customer/mobile_categories.tpl"} </div> </li>

the span class fa-th-list - I chose that because I liked that it was similar but different to the "list" icon - you can see an entire list of options at http://astronautweb.co/snippet/font-awesome/ - the file that references that class is in skin -> common_files -> css -> font-awesome.min.css

I think that's it. when you "shrink" your desktop screen, or look at it on a phone screen, you'll see the extra dropdown nav full of categories. Now, my site doesn't have that many root categories - I have NO clue how this will work if you have tons of root categories (although I'll know in a few weeks when I upgrade my main site to 4.7.2, as I have like 100 root categories on that site...)
AlteredCart: On-Sale, One Page Checkout, Checkout One Payments (although that's not working yet)
BCSE: Back in stock Notify, Checkbox Radio Mod, Upselling Links
SMACK: CDSEO Pro, Product Map
X-Cart: Gold+, Mobile
(still trying to get working: Gahela Support Suite)

The following 2 users thank christindall for this useful post:
qualiteam (05-24-2015), TexasFood (05-26-2018)
Old 12-08-2015, 12:36 PM

To add scrolling to the pop up category menu you can also add this to your changes. This works for if you have a ton of categories, like I do.

To the bottom of mobile_categories.tpl add a new class to the ul, I added "mobile-menu-d" as my new class.

Code:
<ul class="mobile-menu-d"> {$smarty.capture.menu} </ul>

Then in altskin.css add the following under "@media screen and (max-width933px)" somewhere around line #3230 of altskin.css.

Code:
.mobile-menu-d{ max-height: 400px; overflow-y: scroll; overflow-x: hidden; }

The height is editable to taste, I found 400px to be a decent height on my phone but it may change later. It works with touch scrolling on iPhone and Android for what I can tell, but I have not tested it on a huge range of devices.
Old 05-11-2016, 09:13 AM

eXpert

I've just started working on this template and I agree about the position of the categories list in mobile view, but can you elaborate a little on your comment at the start of the thread regarding responsive images please Chris?

Quote:
Originally Posted by christindall
ALSO - in the light responsive template, if you want your images to be responsive, you need to modify the product_thumbnail.tpl - I made the image width into max-width, and before that I placed a width="100%" - which means that it will go to 100%, but not larger than the defined size.

I don't understand what is needed.

Many thanks

Welly

www.traininglines.co.uk
   X-Cart forums > X-Cart 4 > Dev Questions > Changing design