X-Cart forums > News and Announcements

Old 07-02-2013, 10:48 AM

eXpert

Angry Re: X-Cart v4 licensing and it's reusing in new businesses

Quote:
Originally Posted by carpeperdiem
Maxim,

I have a problem with this...

When I buy (license) a tool, the license is to the original purchaser (licensee) to use however I (original licensee) wants.

Your problem is that you permit license transfers, for free.

The restriction to prevent me (owner, original purchaser of license) from shutting down a book store and opening a vitamin store should not be ANY of your business. I am only permitted to use your software on one URL at a time -- so it is meaningless to you if I shut down the vitamin store and decide to sell insect repellant.

What you can do without pissing me off, is restrict the license transfer to a new owner.

THAT is what most other software does. License is to the ORIGINAL purchaser and then charge a fee for license transfers -- but if you tell me that I personally can't decide what kind of products to sell, you crossed over my line of reason -- and if your business was in the US, you would probably asking for a lawsuit as well (don't knwo about EU). Remember, the license for the product that I purchased is the license that you must respect forever. If you do this for new licensees, that's your choice (and the new customer), but if you sold me a license in 2006, I expect the terms of the license to be our binding contract. I can't change it on you, and you can't change it on me.

But you CAN change your fees for license transfers or support.

But you can't tell me what kind of (legal) products I can sell.

I think you should re-think your proposed license change and try again. Restricting transfer of ownership is one thing -- restricting the legal business use of the software by the original and legal owner of the license is the most idiotic thing I've ever heard.

I AGREE TOTALLY !!!

Using: X-cart 4.5.4
AT: http://www.weckonline.com LIVE
Old 07-02-2013, 10:57 AM

eXpert

Angry Re: X-Cart v4 licensing and it's reusing in new businesses

Quote:
Originally Posted by xim
Thank you for your feedback!

Everyone here wants X-Cart to improve, add new features into new releases, improve security and so on. At the same time community re-uses X-Cart licenses (given to built one shop originally) for new and new projects, using all our new work with no benefit to us. If we keep going like this, it means stagnation of X-Cart, which I believe nobody here wants.

This is the biggest crap i ever heard. It has nothing to do with improvement whatsoever. If that was the case, then x-cart would have been better a long time a go. But you dont wanna do that with a LIFETIME license, ur not making money then.
Its all about the money, THATS WHAT WE ALL WANT..... but not in this way. We are really MAD as hell on qualiteam. And we're not finished!

Old 07-03-2013, 01:30 AM

eXpert

Default Re: Why cant we transfer licenses anymore?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocky
So hope you stay with X-Cart and meet us next year.

Believe me, PRESTASHOP it is.

Even after 10 years x-cart.

I am sorry, but changing the terms from one direction, is not our thing.
And as said before, there's a principle involved here.

Just make a little calculation with our licenses, add-ons, skins, etc etc. Then you'll conclude, you have earned a lot of money from us as customer.

You lost one again.

Old 10-16-2013, 01:05 PM

Advanced Member

Exclamation WARNING! Available attempts to change license domain: 1

I've just discovered that NOW I can transfer my licenses only to 1 domain.

And this even on some old licenses!!!

This is absolutely disgusting!

And if you've changed the terms without notice, even on some old licenses, who tells us that someday you won't change silently other terms, for example asking for a montly fee to continue using the shop?

Thank you for your seriousness, Qualiteam, you have shown the perfect method to loose clients. Applause.
Old 10-16-2013, 01:23 PM

Veteran

Default Re: WARNING! Available attempts to change license domain: 1

some time ago... - http://forum.x-cart.com/showthread.php?t=65880

The following user thanks cflsystems for this useful post:
ambal (10-17-2013)
Old 10-17-2013, 03:15 AM

Advanced Member

Default Re: WARNING! Available attempts to change license domain: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by cflsystems

Oh. It's nice to see that QT have spent time writing this important post but didn't notice about this to their customers using a simple mass email.

It must be done intentionally, because I've never stopped receiving QT email about new versions or features.

And besides, you have do this retroactively, involving also old licenses bought before your decision.

I am the ownner of the license, I MUST have the right to choose what to sell and where to sell.

You want to offer different terms? TELL ME THAT BEFORE SELLING ME THE LICENSE. PERIOD.

You lack in client fidelization, in marketing strategies and probably in funds if you do things like this.

I were you, I would be ashamed.

If you had done this when X-Cart was version 3, you probably would not be here now.

This is another point to enjoy other ecommerce platforms.

And of course, I cannot talk about wich platforms, or my post will be deleted as happened in the past.
Old 10-22-2013, 06:08 AM

X-Cart team

Default Re: X-Cart v4 licensing and it's reusing in new businesses

Hello, X-Carters.

We reviewed the community feedback thoroughly and decided to apply some corrections to our decision. Even though we are very confident in our right to charge for URL-change (due to the "one license for single shop" rule from the terms& conditions) we develop the software for you guys and cannot ignore your feedback.

So, this rule takes effect for X-Cart version 4.6.0 and higher (as the changes to policy had been announced before this release). It means that if you installed v4.6.0 or higher, you accepted the updated licensing agreement in which this rule was specified. So you have to pay if you assign the license to a new domain name.

The URLs of the other versions (up to 4.5.5) can be modified without limitations according to the previous version of the licensing agreement. So, if there's no option to change the URL of the store of an old version, feel free to contact us for help.

Also this rule will NOT work for X-Cart 5 licenses. For version 5 and higher, merchants can use the software on any domain.

If you have any questions on this matter please contact our sales staff: https://secure.x-cart.com/

Last edited by xplorer : 10-27-2013 at 10:57 PM.

The following 7 users thank xim for this useful post:
ADDISON (10-22-2013), ambal (10-22-2013), Asiaplay (10-25-2013), Dongan (10-23-2013), gb2world (10-23-2013), kevfromwiganinlancashire (10-26-2013), totaltec (10-22-2013)
Closed Thread
   X-Cart forums > News and Announcements