Follow us on Twitter X-Cart on Facebook Wiki
Shopping cart software Solutions for online shops and malls

PHP is really slow, can it be tweaked?

X-Cart forums > X-Cart 4 > Dev Questions > Changing design

Old 10-04-2003, 02:45 PM

Advanced Member

Default PHP is really slow, can it be tweaked?

Hi,
I generated HTMl catalogs of my products today, and noticed how the html pages displayed about 400% faster than browsing the site in regular mode.

So is there anyway to tweak performance of PHP to speed up my site?
Old 10-05-2003, 09:36 AM

X-Adept

Are you on a dedicated box?
Old 10-05-2003, 08:01 PM

Advanced Member

No, shared.

Also I just found out from my ISP that magic_quotes_gpc = off, and safe_mode = on. Is that the cause for my slow site?

I'm trying to get them to change it.
Old 10-06-2003, 03:19 AM

X-Adept

I don't think that'd make your site any slower. It might make your site break on apostrophes and in a few other places, but it wouldn't make it slower.

I'd ask them to install php-accelerator (http://www.php-accelerator.co.uk). It's a night and day difference, and it's free. Of course, they might tell you "no" for some reason.

As a last resort, you COULD always look for another host.

How many GB of traffic are you pullng through X-Cart? How many products do you have in the cart? How many visitors?

You know, X-Cart was NOT written for speed. I'm finding that out the hard way. We just had to drop in a new processor and more RAM into a dedicated server because one of our sites with 400+ products and 100,000 unique visitors / month (17.5 GB of traffic last month) was starting to slow the server down. The upgrades weren't necessary to keep the site running at this point, but it was starting to get pretty slow.

I hope this helps.
Old 10-07-2003, 06:28 PM

Advanced Member

My site isn't even live yet.
So the only visitor at the moment is me. Hardly any bandwidth is used. I do have almost 1000 products though.

My host is a piece of s***, they won't even install php accelerator for me. I'm trying to cancel, but their avoiding it as best as they can. See I signed up for 2 years of hosting (stupid me), so they really dont wanna let me cancel.

Already shopping around for a faster host. Any suggestions or recommendations in that area?
Old 03-17-2004, 06:33 AM

Advanced Member

Default Web Host

I am using IPowerweb hosting..no problems
ipowerweb.com
Old 03-17-2004, 07:14 AM

X-Adept

I have, thus far, been very impressed with www.site5.com's hosting. I've not tried an x-cart install on there, but my site and my control panel run quite nicely.
Old 03-27-2004, 02:06 AM

Advanced Member

Regarding service providers. I have been very happy with a company called Superb.net - really great customer service. Check out their low cost dedicated servers at www.superbservers.net.

Philip
Old 03-27-2004, 03:09 AM

Default Safe Mode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad
No, shared.

Also I just found out from my ISP that magic_quotes_gpc = off, and safe_mode = on. Is that the cause for my slow site?

I'm trying to get them to change it.

Safe Mode should be set to off for all the features of X-Cart to work correctly. To speed X-Cart up disable "Fancy Categories" if you have that add-on. Turn off all features that aren't necessary to you (ie tracking of stats, best buys, other languages, etc.)

The html catalog is great for the search engines to crawl your pages but only from a link on your first page. Once a user selects any help menu item or adds to cart they are bounced out of the html pages never to return again.

I thought the same as you about the speed but after tweaking it found it runs fine. If traffic is heavy on the server or the internet itself you notice a slow down.

X-Cart Gold v4.0.7
PhP 4.3.1
MySQL 3.23.58
Web server: Apache
O/S Linux
Old 06-26-2004, 06:37 AM

Try superwebhost.com, those guys ROCK. Tell 'em tycoonrae.com sent you, please!
   X-Cart forums > X-Cart 4 > Dev Questions > Changing design