Follow us on Twitter X-Cart on Facebook Wiki
Shopping cart software Solutions for online shops and malls

Please help...still a beginner

X-Cart forums > X-Cart 4 > Dev Questions > Changing design

Old 04-21-2005, 06:32 PM

Default Please help...still a beginner

Hi everyone:

I have made a few posts on this forum and everyone has been so very helpful. Thank you all so very much in advance. I guess again I am turning to the "pro's" on here.

My husband and I have a website and we are having some issues with the storefront part of the site. Basically, I would like to be able to show my customers featured products on my homepage that I can regulary modify. I am providing an example of what I would like it to do/look like:

http://www.angelacarolpearls.com/home.php

Underneath the Certificate of Authenticity it has a few links of images, these images do not necessarily have to link to other categories, I would just like to add images under the text on our site:

http://www.creativesplendors.com

If anyone knows some code for this option, that would be so wonderful. Also, I would like to add a bestsellers list somewhere on our site. We decided we did not like the "typical" right and left sidebar categories, so we opted to just use a left sidebar. Does anyone have a suggestion of where we could add a bestsellers list and what code we need to use?

Also I am providing another example:

http://www.thaimediastore.com/home.php?cat=2

On this particular site we liked how it highlights the images with a clear box when hovering over the product. My husband can add a box, that is colored but not one that does not necessarily show the color. When you do add color to my site, since the images are not transparent, it shows a thumbnail size white block in the middle and it does not look good at all. Can anyone suggest how to modify this problem?

Okay, well thank you all again, I am sorry if I sound nieve...I just really am clueless about these things!

Thanks and have a wonderful night!

Ali
Old 04-21-2005, 06:53 PM

Veteran

Hi Ali, it would be really helpful if you could add your X-Cart version in your signature, as each version is very different. Edit profile, enter version, enter password, hit save.

I'll try and answer each of your questions generally:

Featured products are easily added using the built-in featured products function. Just go to the category you want to add featured products to, and use the box at the bottom to browse and select them. To add them to the home page, just click on the 'Categories' menu and use the box at the bottom of the screen. To modify the display of the featured products, you need to edit either products.tpl or products_t.tpl depending on your layout.

Adding plain old images is pretty easy, you can just edit customer/main/welcome.tpl and add the images where you want them using the following code:

[img]{$ImagesDir}/imagename.jpg[/img]

There is also a built-in bestsellers list, which can be turned on under 'modules' if it isn't on already. You will need to place a few test orders in order for any products to show up in it.

The only way to get rid of that white 'block' on the images is to make them transparent .gif files.

Hope this helps, and also be sure to search the forums thoroughly, as most of the questions you asked are answered elsewhere already.
   X-Cart forums > X-Cart 4 > Dev Questions > Changing design