Shopping cart software Solutions for online shops and malls

X-Cart 4.1.4 released

X-Cart forums > News and Announcements

Old 12-20-2006, 01:26 PM

X-Wizard

Default Re: X-Cart 4.1.4 released

Quote:
Originally Posted by Light Speed
I think he is saying that the 4.1 branch is still at beta quality due to the level of bugs. I am staying on the 4.0 branch until this software becomes ready for live use. As a business I cannot risk my income on flaky software.
The beta is long over and it went through final candidate phase and has been released as a final product. While it has not yet been considered the "stable" branch I have found 4.1.3 to be very stable and have no problem using it. Just because a new update comes out doesn't mean you automatically install it. I haven't upgraded anyone to 4.1.4 yet.
Old 12-20-2006, 02:31 PM

eXpert

Upgrading from v4.1.3 to v4.1.4 seems to be hard enough for quite a few people, I'd hate to have to do it from v4.0.x.

That said, if you're in a situation where you can install v4.1.4 from scratch it hasn't been my experience so far that it's 'flaky' or 'beta' software. I'm sure there will be bugs that need to be fixed, but I've yet to run across anything other than issues getting one of the new features - Image Verification - to work.
Old 12-20-2006, 03:30 PM

X-Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by starwest
Upgrading from v4.1.3 to v4.1.4 seems to be hard enough for quite a few people, I'd hate to have to do it from v4.0.x.

That said, if you're in a situation where you can install v4.1.4 from scratch it hasn't been my experience so far that it's 'flaky' or 'beta' software. I'm sure there will be bugs that need to be fixed, but I've yet to run across anything other than issues getting one of the new features - Image Verification - to work.

Was the log in issue in FireFox only experienced by a few people? Was it a coding issue or a user install issue? Was the slow log in under Mac OS X a code issue or a user install issue?

From the problems listed in this thread for an upgrade that took over 3 months to be released just seems out of line with modern software development and different from X-Cart development from the past. I have been using the cart for almost 4 years and have noticed a change. If the code structure for the cart is getting too complex for the dev team to be able to update, test on multiple platforms and browser setups internally and release on a regular basis then maybe some of us users with in depth experience of the cart and a wider variety of install environments can offer a second source of testing to the dev team before updates are released to general users.
Old 12-20-2006, 03:50 PM

eXpert

I can only speak from my own experience on that one. I didn't see the login issue at all when I installed a fresh copy on v4.1.4 and tested with Firefox, IE, and Safari on both Windows and OS X. I've patched the files anyone, because I didn't know if it was something server and/or client-specific that was causing problems for others.

With that said - I agree with you that it would likely help out quite a bit with future releases if there was a roll-out to customers willing to try the update and test things out before it was released to everyone. Perhaps that's how they see the current system for releases though. There is another 'stable' version of X-Cart which the majority of sites are still using, so in essence most of the people trying the updates from a non-stable branch and posting on this thread are that second source of testing.
Old 12-20-2006, 04:40 PM

X-Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by starwest
With that said - I agree with you that it would likely help out quite a bit with future releases if there was a roll-out to customers willing to try the update and test things out before it was released to everyone. Perhaps that's how they see the current system for releases though. There is another 'stable' version of X-Cart which the majority of sites are still using, so in essence most of the people trying the updates from a non-stable branch and posting on this thread are that second source of testing.

Yeah it seems the users of the 4.1 branch are the testers but are new customers just buying the cart for the first time able to purchase the 4.0.19 stable branch or are they forced to use the new 4.1 branch?

I will start a new thread for advanced users to offer testing to the dev team.
Old 12-20-2006, 04:44 PM

eXpert

I hope they take you up on the offer.

I'm a fairly new user myself. I certainly wasn't forced to use v4.1.x, but because of the amount of modification my site will have I didn't want to try to update from v4.0.x in the future.

The naming convention of calling v4.1.x the 'current' branch is likely pulling in a lot of new users - who wants to be on the old version when they're just starting out?
Old 12-20-2006, 06:41 PM

I'm a new user and I'll weigh in here and say that I chose the 4.1 branch because it is the 'current' branch, the demo uses 4.1.x, and everything that I saw on the X-Cart website was about the 4.1.x branch... why would I even think there is another branch (being new to X-Cart and all). The fact that some people still say "oh, so you're using the beta... just go back to 4.0.x" still really get's to me (I'll spare everyone my rant). I also ran into the problem where I attempted to go with 4.0.x as suggested, but it would not work with MySQL 5.0, so I was more or less stuck with 4.1.x. I'm hoping that a 4.1.5 comes out soon that I can move my 4.1.3 installations to. So far (with a few odd exceptions), my 4.1.3 installations have been fine.
Old 12-21-2006, 08:26 AM

Advanced Member

I'm running 4.1.4 on my PC using Uni Server, and have had no issues with Firefox login or with captcha...both are working perfectly, so I would have to say they are either upgrade or server issues.
Old 12-21-2006, 06:38 PM

X-Wizard

4.1.4 works great. There are still people out there using 3.5, if you can believe that.
Apache 2.4
CENTOS 7.8 64Bit Single Quad-Core E3-1241v3 3.4Ghz 8M 1600 w/ HT
32GB RAM 2x 512GB Samsung 850 Pro SSD RAID 1
Old 12-22-2006, 05:02 AM

X-Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJC
I'm running 4.1.4 on my PC using Uni Server, and have had no issues with Firefox login or with captcha...both are working perfectly, so I would have to say they are either upgrade or server issues.
Same here. I've Installed 4.1.4 on Linux (see siggy) then Inported my Products & Shipping Details (I had to edit the CSV files slightly thou) and have had few problems. Login worked and is nice and fast, both on IE and FireFox (Version 2.0.0.1 is just out, btw), and Image Verification worked first time. Had a few teething problems with PayPal which are now sorted, but apart from that, it's running fine.

There could be a number of things causing 4.1.4 to knacker up, Uploaded wrong, corruption, dodgy Servers (not accusing anyone thou!)

I just don't understand how it can work fine on some people's Servers, and terrible on others...
Free Mods: Colour Coded Orders, FAQ Manager
Paid Mods: None... yet.
Server: Linux, Apache: 2.2.15 (Unix), MySQL: 5.0.90-community, PHP: 5.2.13
   X-Cart forums > News and Announcements