Follow us on Twitter X-Cart on Facebook Wiki
Shopping cart software Solutions for online shops and malls

Automatic Membership Level

X-Cart forums > X-Cart 4 > Dev Questions > Changing design

Old 05-07-2013, 08:51 AM

Advanced Member

Default Automatic Membership Level

I have a customer who wants to provide a discounted price for 'educators' on their website.

Here is the catch, they want to provide this discount immediately, not to wait for them to be approved.

To do this on their previous shopping cart I simply duplicated the items and reduced their prices. But now that they are moving to X-Cart they want to use the inventory tracking, so I cannot use duplicate products while keeping the inventory all up to date.

Does anybody know how or of a module that will allow automatic membership level and usage?

They have done this in the past on another cart and feel people have been trustworthy thus far and want to continue to trust people.

Thanks
Old 05-07-2013, 04:10 PM

Veteran

Default Re: Automatic Membership Level

Turn on wholesale module - then you can define pricing per membership per product
Old 05-08-2013, 10:45 AM

Advanced Member

Thanks, but what I really need is a way for somebody to become a member automatically to receive those wholesale prices. The owners do not want to have to authorize & they want the prices to become available immediately after sending in their school information.
Old 05-08-2013, 10:53 AM

Veteran

admin settings - turn on signup for membership - this will allow customers to select membership when registering. Keep in mind though that regular customers that shoudl nto be allowed such memebrship can also select it
Old 05-08-2013, 11:18 AM

Advanced Member

Again, thank you. I appreciate your time.

I do believe you are referring to the "Enable sign-up for membership" under General Settings.

If so, that does allow a person to sign up for the membership, but it does not automatically make them a member.

I still need to go into admin > users & there I find two drop down menu's. One for 'sign-up' which will say 'educator' but the drop-down directly below is called 'membership' and needs to be changed from 'not member' to 'educator' by an administrator.

That is the step I'm trying to skip. I see on the forums some people were able to accomplish this on 4.1 and I attempted to follow those instructions, but my 4.5 reigister.php does not have the same line of text that was modified on the 4.1 versions.

http://forum.x-cart.com/showthread.php?t=13641&page=2&highlight=moderated+ membership
Old 05-08-2013, 11:27 AM

Advanced Member

I just found some code for the register.php which fixed this for me. I now have what I want.

For future readers here is where I found the code:
http://forum.x-cart.com/showthread.php?t=55499
Old 05-08-2013, 11:33 AM

Veteran

Yes but again this will allow anyone to be a member of this membership and to get the special pricing of that membership which defeats the purpose of having the membership in the first place. With the same success you can just have that special pricing for the product itself wihtout using memebrships
If that works for you great...
Old 05-08-2013, 11:41 AM

Advanced Member

It does leave it open to anybody.

But this merchant has trusted this method on another cart for many years and feel they have not been abused. It is their wish.
Old 05-08-2013, 11:46 AM

Veteran

If they feel ok with that....
Old 06-09-2013, 12:03 PM

X-Guru

I wanted a similar function for my 4.5.4 store.

-- new registered customers need to be assigned to the points program (membershipid '1') - and doing this manually was not only time consuming, it prevented points from accruing if the customer made a purchase right away...

This simply requires 2 edits:

1. Using the code provided by Alex Solovev from Qualiteam in this post:

http://forum.x-cart.com/showpost.php?p=308148&postcount=6

2. Edit file, /skin/common_files/customer/main/register_account.tpl

FIND:
Code:
{if $userinfo.id eq $logged_userid and $logged_userid gt 0 and $userinfo.usertype ne "C"} <tr style="display: none;"> <td> <input type="hidden" name="membershipid" value="{$userinfo.membershipid}" /> <input type="hidden" name="pending_membershipid" value="{$userinfo.pending_membershipid}" /> </td> </tr> {else} {if $config.General.membership_signup eq "Y" and ($usertype eq "C" or $is_admin_user or $usertype eq "B") and $membership_levels} {include file="customer/main/membership_signup.tpl"} {/if} {/if}

and comment it all out.
INSERT this in its place:
Code:
<input type="hidden" name="membershipid" value="1" /> <input type="hidden" name="pending_membershipid" value="1" />

Obviously, your value may not = "1" -- this was the membershipid for my membership level. Also, having form fields for $membership_levels if $membership_levels is disabled will probably be bad... you can put some ifs on this if you really need to, but if you are always going to have $membership_levels, then no need.

The code that was commented out basically bypasses the general setting ({if $config.General.membership_signup eq "Y") and the new code basically sets membershipid to 1 and also pending_membershipid to 1, and then the php does the rest.

Works great. This should have been an option all along -- (set new memberships to a default membership level")

Thanks to all who contributed to these ideas in the forum.
   X-Cart forums > X-Cart 4 > Dev Questions > Changing design