Shopping cart software Solutions for online shops and malls

Moving from litecommerce to x-cart

X-Cart forums > Considering X-Cart > Considering using X-Cart for my project

Old 04-19-2010, 12:26 PM

X-Man

Default Re: Moving from litecommerce to x-cart

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoosierglass
Loosing business because you cannot present your products in the way that you need to, could be a reason to go through the hassle.

Absolutely true. And finding that the chosen destination cart will be out of date in 2 months; not knowing what will replace it; and not knowing exactly when any replacement becomes stable, is a recipe for choosing an alternative supplier.

Yet again I state that the BEST way to keep your Litecommerce customers is to give them information. A REAL upgrade path and not an unkown one. Anything less and you give the impression that you have lost interest in keeping the Litecommerce customers.
Old 04-19-2010, 10:20 PM

X-Cart team

Hi Everybody,

We value every our customer and his or her business.

I am very sorry that can't give more precise dates when we are going to release the new platform. We (i.e. our clients and we) work in everyday changing environment (i.e. e-commerce) and we (i.e. we) develop software that should meet requirements of the everyday changing environment. E.g. sometimes we have to delay release of an almost ready software version due to new requirements coming from e.g. VISA or Authorize.net or some other source. If we do not delay release in such cases - our customers will have more troubles in future.
Developing a new platform is much harder job than maintaining existing one.

So:
1) X-Cart v5 (or LC v3) is in development
2) it is going to derive pros of LC as well as pros of X-Cart all together.

It's hard to say whether or not it will be a new X-Cart or a new LC. The best way is to explain is to say it is going to be a new platform. "X-Cart v5.0" is working title as well as "LC v3.0".

re: migrate or do not migrate from LC to X-Cart

If your existing LC cart works and meats your business requirements then just keep it running. We are not going to close all LiteCommerce shops in two months. Moreover we can't do so.

All existing LiteCommerce shops will be running. We are going to and we do release minor LC upgrades just as we promised when we announced stopping of LC development. You can see announcements about such releases on this forum.

There needs to be a good reason to change platforms. If X-Cart has features your business cannot live without - my advice is MIGRATE.

If LC is OK for you and X-Cart doesn't have such features you can't live without and the only concern you have is that LC development is going to be stopped in several months - my personal opinion is that migration to X-Cart can be a kind of waste of time, money and efforts.

Don't break a running, working and producing income system.

Think of LC (or X-Cart) as about a tool you use in your business (like a small truck or a lathe) - will you change a working fine tool just because it is not going to be produced in some time (taking in account producer will be releasing new spare parts for it)? I won't.
X-Payments product manager
Old 04-20-2010, 05:17 AM

X-Man

All good points.

However Litecommerce is now old and looks old and tired. Hence the need to move on to a brand new and pretty system. Litecommerce development effectively ceased a couple of years ago. Updates since then have tweaked it and cleared bugs and applied security fixes, but overal it has not gained any real new features or imporved in look and feel for several years. Other carts have overtaken it. Presumably this is why you are developing xcart5, to yet again be at the top of the cart game.

So although litecommerce may satisfy the basic business needs it no longer satisfies the overal marketing needs. A cart is more than just a tool. It is the shop window of your business. It is the public face. So it is no longer enough to simply do the job, it must be up there with all the other new carts, looking great. And I have not even begun to meantion PA-DSS and PCI, which Litecommerce will never be able to be PA-DSS.

Migratimg is a long and difficult process. It takes several months planning and development. With the impending PA-DSS deadline cart owners should be making descisions NOW and starting migrating soon. It would be very difficult to decide to plan to migrate to xcart 5 when you have no idea when itwill be released, nor any idea what is in it.

Litecommerce users have been left with the choice of migrating to a real cart like xcart 4.x and then migrating to xcart 5 when it is finally stable and possibly suitable. OR migrating once to a competitors cart. With no information from yourselves, with no idea of the features or any reason why xcart 5 will be the killer app, why would anyone hang around? Please re-consider your policy of silence and dangle the carrot in front of the litecommerce users.
Old 04-20-2010, 10:11 PM

X-Cart team

X-Payments connector (and PA-DSS compatibility) will be available for newer versions of LiteCommerce.

LiteCommerce development is not ceased. We have already achieved a 60% speed improvement in several portions of its kernel. We've made full customer UI revamp. And we've added one feature. Just one, but worth 5,000 features.

What we need to do now is just pack this all together, pass QA, prepare a new web site and release.

I was not going to announce anything, because in the past our RnD team has over-promised, under-achieved. And I believe that "under-promise, over-achieve" is better.

So the only reason why I am announcing this here is that I can imagine the pain LiteCommerce user would have, if by the time of completing costly upgrade to X-Cart, he sees that he should have stayed with LiteCommerce.

Twitter: @aznakai

The following 2 users thank rrf for this useful post:
ambal (04-20-2010), onetoremember (04-21-2010)
Old 04-21-2010, 12:20 AM

Advanced Member

Many thanks for all the comments on this thread. If nothing else I know that others are thinking about the same issues.

I am looking forward to further releases. I upgarded to Litecommerce 2.2.41 - 'all by myself' so that is a good feeling. no problems so I now have the newsletter improvement that I wanted that means my host now won't think that I am spamming when I send a newsletter.

I understand the over promise thing - but sometimes just the conversation makes people feel better.

Many thanks again to everyone and 1 look forward to the the future

r.

www.EnergyBook.co.uk

Litecommerce 2.2.41 - but now

Xcart 4.7 seems to be working well - and glad I moved over from Litecommerce.

Hosted by https://www.totalserversolutions.com
Old 04-21-2010, 01:48 AM

X-Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrf
X-Payments connector (and PA-DSS compatibility) will be available for newer versions of LiteCommerce.

Thats good news. As far as I can recall this is the FIRST and only announcement regarding LITECOMMERCE and x-payments and PA-DSS. Perhaps it should be in the news and announcements threads.
   X-Cart forums > Considering X-Cart > Considering using X-Cart for my project