Follow us on Twitter X-Cart on Facebook Wiki
Shopping cart software Solutions for online shops and malls

Changing the Javascript window size for Terms and Conditions

X-Cart forums > X-Cart 4 > Dev Questions > Changing design

Old 10-12-2013, 11:38 AM

Default Changing the Javascript window size for Terms and Conditions

Thank you ahead of time for your help!

Situation: I need the Terms and Conditions overlay and the Privacy Statement to open in a 600px wide window, instead of a 800px wide window.

What I know and have done:
1. I already know that this window is called by the file skin/theme-name/modules/One_Page_Checkout/opc_summary/tpl file
2. I already know that the calling code is "{$lng.txt_terms_and_conditions_note|substitute:"t erms_url":"`$xcart_web_dir`/pages.php?alias=conditions":"privacy_url":"`$xcart _web_dir`/pages.php?alias=business"}"
3. I already know that there is an entry (named txt_terms_and_conditions_note) in the xcart_languages table of the database.
4. I have already changed that entry to 600px because there doesn't seem to be any place to make that change in the user-unfriendly dashboard for X-cart.
5. I have already cleared the cache on the system and on my browser.

I would appreciate any clues. I will be using this user interface issue as a class example in my class on Monday. I can show a positive solution to the issue, or I can show it as an example that my students should stay clear of X-cart. I apologize for my semi-hostile statements, but it really shouldn't be this difficult. User Interface is a basic design element, not an "if we get around to it" option.
Old 10-12-2013, 01:24 PM

X-Guru

Default Re: Changing the Javascript window size for Terms and Conditions

Nora,
Thanks for apologizing for your hostile tone. I have tested a solution to this problem just now, so you need not fear, I will provide the answer.

I want to take a moment and say that XC is one of the most battle tested e-commerce apps in the world. With it we create User-Friendly User Interface experiences. You are somewhat unfamiliar with the software, give it time.

I'll post the solution in a few hours, I have to run out the door right now.
Mike White - Now Accepting new clients and projects! Work with the best, get a US based development team for just $125 an hour. Call 1-502-773-6454, email mike at babymonkeystudios.com, or skype b8bym0nkey

XcartGuru
X-cart Tutorials | X-cart 5 Tutorials

Check out the responsive template for X-cart.
Old 10-13-2013, 08:06 AM

I sincerely appreciate any solutions you find. I have spent more time than my client finds reasonable to track through the code, the database, the dashboard and the online manual.

IHMO: Regarding the user-friendly solutions, WordPress is a tool to create user-friendly solutions ... Drupal is a tool to create user-friendly solutions ... every shopping cart plugin, module, web service, and software package is a tool to create user-friendly solutions. But each one is also judged on whether it is user-friendly to the developer, who is also a user.

For the developer who is also a coder, user-friendly means comments and a user-friendly manual or codex. Every time I work on an X-cart file, the first thing I have do, in the code I'm working on, is comment it. And, I am creating my own manual with screenshots for my client, "in case I get hit by a bus." My client has to pay for my commenting and documentation time, but my client will benefit because the next time I have to change it, my comments will make the task more efficient. I find that most software is poorly commented, including WordPress, Joomla and Drupal ... and X-cart.

The following user thanks Nora for this useful post:
totaltec (10-13-2013)
Old 10-13-2013, 11:30 AM

OK, I found a solution! The direct update to the database worked. When I cleared the cache in Tools -> Maintenance, I used "Force cache generation" instead of "Clear templates/X-Cart cache".

I have documented for my client that this code has to be changed through the database and then the cache has to be updated.

The following user thanks Nora for this useful post:
totaltec (10-13-2013)
Old 10-13-2013, 08:35 PM

X-Guru

I am surprised it took a direct DB update, something must be wrong with your settings on the server. I apologize for not getting back to you, been handling some minor client emergencies.

One last thing this may throw some people off, bu there are two language variable that are very similar.

txt_terms_and_conditions_note //I bellieve this is displayed for existing customers
and
txt_terms_and_conditions_newbie_note //displayed for new customers.

Glad you worked it out! I agree Wordpres is much easier to customize, but it can't begin to scratch the surface of what XC can do. XC is not for beginners.
Mike White - Now Accepting new clients and projects! Work with the best, get a US based development team for just $125 an hour. Call 1-502-773-6454, email mike at babymonkeystudios.com, or skype b8bym0nkey

XcartGuru
X-cart Tutorials | X-cart 5 Tutorials

Check out the responsive template for X-cart.
Old 10-14-2013, 12:23 AM

X-Cart team

Moved to X-Cart Customization > Storefront Design & Template Editing in v 4.5.x & 4.6.x as this is not an X-Payments issue or question.
X-Payments product manager
Old 10-14-2013, 06:29 AM

In any case, thanks for your replies!
   X-Cart forums > X-Cart 4 > Dev Questions > Changing design