Follow us on Twitter X-Cart on Facebook Wiki
Shopping cart software Solutions for online shops and malls

X5 - Setting the language based on user's browser language

X-Cart forums > X-Cart 5 > Dev Questions (X-Cart 5)

Old 07-14-2015, 09:33 AM

eXpert

Default X5 - Setting the language based on user's browser language

In x4 I had some code that identified the user's language preference (using weighted values) and then displayed the site in the closest language possible with English as the default.

I did this by adding code before the get_language.php include that followed the logic below to set the store language.

1) Check user is not a robot and hasn't previously chosen a language
2) Set language based on browser setting and available languages

The user could set their language to override the auto detect using a cookie that lasted a year.

I want to do this in x5 but I can't work out which class/method to override so I can add in my extra detection code.

Any pointers?
Old 07-14-2015, 11:09 AM

X-Guru

Default Re: X5 - Setting the language based on user's browser language

I would look in classes/XLite/View/LanguageSelector/Customer.php at method isActiveLanguage()
Mike White - Now Accepting new clients and projects! Work with the best, get a US based development team for just $125 an hour. Call 1-502-773-6454, email mike at babymonkeystudios.com, or skype b8bym0nkey

XcartGuru
X-cart Tutorials | X-cart 5 Tutorials

Check out the responsive template for X-cart.
Old 07-15-2015, 08:38 AM

eXpert

I think I have this working. It's just hacks to files in var/ at the moment.

In var/run/classes/XLite/Controller/AControllerAbstract.php
Code:
protected function doActionChangeLanguage() { $code = strval(\XLite\Core\Request::getInstance()->language); if (!empty($code)) { $language = \XLite\Core\Database::getRepo('\XLite\Model\Language')->findOneByCode($code); setcookie('store_language', $code, time()+31536000,"/"); // new line $_COOKIE['store_language'] = $code; // new line if (isset($language) && $language->getEnabled()) { \XLite\Core\Session::getInstance()->setLanguage($language->getCode()); if (\XLite\Core\Auth::getInstance()->isLogged()) { \XLite\Core\Auth::getInstance()->getProfile()->setLanguage($language->getCode()); \XLite\Core\Database::getEM()->flush(); } } } $this->setReturnURL($this->getReferrerURL()); }

In... var/run/classes/XLite/Core/Session.php
New Method:
Code:
/** * Browser language preferences * */ public function browserLang($l=['en'],$u){return $l[array_keys($l,substr(explode(',',$u?:$_SERVER['HTTP_ACCEPT_LANGUAGE'])[0],0,2))[0]]?:$l[0];}

New method:
Code:
/** * language cooookies! * */ public function getLanguageCookie() { $store_language_codes = array('en','es','fr','de','it') ; $cookieLanguageCode = NULL; // -- If cookie is set if ( in_array(strtolower($_COOKIE[store_language]), $store_language_codes) ) { $cookieLanguageCode = strtolower($_COOKIE[store_language]) ; } return $cookieLanguageCode; }

Totally rewritten method...

Code:
/** * Get language * * @return \XLite\Model\Language */ public function getLanguage() { if (!isset($this->language)){ $langCookie = $this->getLanguageCookie(); if (!empty($langCookie)){ $this->language = \XLite\Core\Database::getRepo('XLite\Model\Language') ->findOneByCode($this->getLanguageCookie()); } elseif (empty($langCookie)) { //no cookie set so best guess from browser $bestLanguageOption = $this->browserLang(['en','es','fr','de','it']); $this->language = \XLite\Core\Database::getRepo('XLite\Model\Language') ->findOneByCode($bestLanguageOption); } } return $this->language; }

Probably could be made nicer.

The following user thanks xgarb for this useful post:
qualiteam (07-17-2015)
Old 07-17-2015, 01:25 AM

X-Guru

Good job!

You are to wrap up your changes as a custom module as all changes to files in the var/ directory will disappear once you upgrade to a newer version, install a new module, or just run the redeploy routine.

You will be able to re-use the module for other X-Cart 5 stores and even list it at http://www.x-cart.com/extensions/addons (if you want )

---

User manual Video tutorials X-Cart FAQ

You are welcome to press "Thanks" button
if you find this post useful

Click here to learn how to apply patches

X-Cart Extensions
   X-Cart forums > X-Cart 5 > Dev Questions (X-Cart 5)