Follow us on Twitter X-Cart on Facebook Wiki
Shopping cart software Solutions for online shops and malls

Question for third party devs about mod compatibility plans

X-Cart forums > X-Cart 4 > Third Party Add-Ons for X-Cart 4

Old 01-27-2009, 05:56 PM

Veteran

Default Question for third party devs about mod compatibility plans

With the recent announcement by Qualiteam that 4.3 will be coming out soon, and then the new X-Cart v5 at the end of the year, what are you developers doing about converting your mods to the latest releases?

It would seem to make no sense from a financial standpoint to completely re-write a mod for 4.2 when 4.3 will be right behind it, and then a completely new architecture again at the end of the year, am I right? So will you be skipping 4.2/4.3 and waiting for v5? I know some of the mods are less difficult to rewrite than others, but ones that are heavy on template edits I imagine will be a real bear to convert to CSS.

Would be interested to hear what your plans are so I can determine which version to recommend to clients - as some clients rely heavily on third party add-ons to achieve the functionality they are after. Thanks!
Old 01-28-2009, 06:26 AM

X-Guru

Default Re: Question for third party devs about mod compatibility plans

We have been pondering this same thing. We currently are converting modules to 4.2.x as there is a pretty high demand for that already. We are only doing ones that are requested. We haven't decided about 4.3.x though. It will probably depend on the demand.

With 4.3.x planned so fast and 5 so fast, we may start advising customers to stay still for a while. We'll have to see how 4.2.x develops. Right now we are recommending staying put on their current version until 4.2.x is "older" and more stable.

Carrie

We support X-cart versions 3.x through 5.x!

Home of the famous Authorize.net DPM & CIM Modules, Reward Points Module, Point of Sale module, Speed Booster modules and more!

Over 200 X-cart Mods available & Thousands of Customizations Since 2002 - bcsengineering.com

Please E-Mail us for questions/support!
Old 01-30-2009, 02:07 PM
Banned

X-Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by balinor
It would seem to make no sense from a financial standpoint to completely re-write a mod for 4.2 when 4.3 will be right behind it, and then a completely new architecture again at the end of the year, am I right? So will you be skipping 4.2/4.3 and waiting for v5? I know some of the mods are less difficult to rewrite than others, but ones that are heavy on template edits I imagine will be a real bear to convert to CSS.

I plan on having 4.2 versions ready starting this month. I'm not sure about 4.3. Seems odd to me that this is even on the table, but I'm sure there is a reason.

If v5 is a complete re-write I doubt it will be ready this year, at least in any usable form. A complete re-write of X-Cart would be a big task for any group.

I'm staying with 4.1.11 for the foreseeable future, and that is what I recommend (when asked).
Old 01-30-2009, 02:18 PM

X-Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by balinor
With the recent announcement by Qualiteam that 4.3 will be coming out soon, and then the new X-Cart v5 at the end of the year, what are you developers doing about converting your mods to the latest releases?
All of our mods are compatible with 4.2.x - of course we will have to await the release of 4.3 to ensure same.
Old 02-04-2009, 03:53 PM
Banned

Advanced Member

We've already rewritten some of our mods for 4.2 such as Extended Tabbed Module and Variants Grid. We've just announced an AJAX Cart mod, for 4.1 and 4.2. Power Filter (now integrated with Variants) and Quick Search will be online for 4.2 tomorrow with our new AJAX Variants Chart coming in the next few days - again supporting 4.2 as well.

We'll include support for 4.3 when it comes around... it's quite a lot of effort - but they'll be people who need to make the jump to a new version now and can't wait for 4.3 or 5 - I wouldn't want to be one of them stuck with no compatible mods....

Regards,

Craig
   X-Cart forums > X-Cart 4 > Third Party Add-Ons for X-Cart 4