Follow us on Twitter X-Cart on Facebook Wiki
Shopping cart software Solutions for online shops and malls

Easy Checkout Mod for X-Cart 3.5.x and 4.0.x

X-Cart forums > X-Cart 4 > Third Party Add-Ons for X-Cart 4

Old 09-07-2004, 01:52 PM

X-Guru

Here's an interesting article from SitePoint.
http://www.sitepoint.com/print/increases-online-sales

Quote:
Reduce Abandonment Rates

eMarketer report that over 65% of buyers leave their Shopping Carts in mid-purchase. To reduce cart abandonment rates, consider these points during the design phase:

Display Shipping Costs Shoppers donБ─≥t buy goods when they feel there are hidden costs involved in the transaction. They want to know all costs (including taxes) and how long will it take to deliver the goods before they begin the purchase process. If customers realize during purchase that they donБ─≥t know what these charges will cost them, theyБ─≥ll leave the shopping cart to find outБ─╕ and often wonБ─≥t return.
Build a Clear Interface Make sure the user can progressively add items to the basket during shopping; poor designs often display only the currently-selected item onscreen. This encourages users to leave before they reach the checkout, fearing that they might be double-billed, or that theyБ─≥ve done something wrong. On that point, hereБ─≥s a quick tip. When writing your error messages, always instruct the user what they should do next. Avoid criticizing them for hitting the Б─≤wrongБ─≥ button.
Multiple Windows Avoid designing shopping carts that float over the entire desktop. These perplex novice users and distract them from the purchase. Stick to the tried, trusted, and familiar display methods.
Customer Support The importance of excellent support is typically underrated. Always include telephone support numbers on the site. Amazon.com has a huge tele-center to handle phone calls -- it understands its users. Support numbers comfort people; novice users will leave the shopping cart to find these. DonБ─≥t let the user worry, Б─°Is anyone really behind this site?Б─² If you do, youБ─≥ll lose the sale. Use pre-defined templates to ensure that the support phone number is located on all sales pages.
Refine Shipping and Billing Pages Design forms so that users donБ─≥t have to key in their details repeatedly. Capture the data in the database, and avoid making the user leave the site to visit another Б─≤dedicatedБ─≥ shipping site; this makes the process exhausting and once fatigue sets in, the customer will quickly give up.

Improve the Purchase Process

Shopping carts can be sharpened up, checkout processes can be simplified, and buying online can be almost as much fun as the hype would have you believe!

To improve your ecommerce siteБ─≥s effectiveness, try these seven bulletproof pointers:

Link to the shopping cart from every page -- donБ─≥t make users struggle to find it. Use the word Б─≤BuyБ─≥ or Б─≤ShopБ─≥. Avoid witty puns, as non-native speakers probably wonБ─≥t understand your knife-edged humor.

Explain the ordering options in simple terms. Many users may be shopping online for the first time.

Include all necessary features in the shopping cart process, for example, the ability to modify or delete items from the basket.

Let users put items Б─≤on holdБ─≥ for future purchasing. Their credit card may not have the available limit during the session, but they might like to be reminded of the item when they return.

Number the pages in the checkout process, for example, 1-4, 2-4, 3-4, 4-4. Users feel more comfortable when they know their location in the overall process, and they have an idea of what lies ahead.

Create concise, usable forms. DonБ─≥t force users to re-enter information or provide superfluous data. Why does anyone want a customerБ─≥s fax number? Long, bloated forms smack of laziness and reflect poorly on your commitment to quality and customer service.

Guarantee security. Inform the user before they enter an SSL page. If this comes upon them out of the blueБ─■with a JavaScript popup screen warning them about securityБ─■some users will think that they have made a mistake and exit.

All these points will improve the shopping experience for users, and ensure you achieve more sales.

Quote:
Reasons shoppers abandon their carts

Б─■ 56% said shipping charges were too expensive
Б─■ 41% said the item was unavailable
Б─■ 29% said the site was too difficult to navigate
Б─■ 21% said the order wouldnБ─≥t go through
Б─■ 18% said the order form was too complicated
Б─■ 15% said they were unable to use coupons or discounts on the site
Old 09-09-2004, 01:17 PM

X-Guru

I've now made this a mod for purchase. You can view details here:
http://www.mixtapemp3.com/Easy_Checkout_for_XCart_35x-p-25.html

For the month of September I'm giving $25.00 off to x-cart forum members, just use the discount coupon: xcartforum
Old 09-09-2004, 01:18 PM

X-Guru

If anybody is interested in the mod for 4.0.x at the same cost, let me know and I will create it.
Old 09-09-2004, 02:28 PM

X-Man

Interested in 4.0. I'd like to get all of these core mods done before I do any tweaking to finalise my 4.0 installation.
Old 09-09-2004, 02:31 PM

eXpert

yes i am very much interested in this for 4.0! great work Jon, especially for providing the install instructions (now i can afford it) Thanks!
Linux/Apache
Net::SSLeay 1.25
libCURL libcurl/7.12.0 OpenSSL/0.9.7a zlib/1.1.4
www.ewdhosting.com
Old 09-09-2004, 02:33 PM

X-Guru

Alright, I'll have to setup a test store and will get to work on the 4.0
Old 09-09-2004, 02:43 PM

eXpert

hey jon, how complicated or difficult do you think it would be to modify the easy checkout header to show some kind of visible completion % like amazon or other sites have?

http://images.amazon.com/images/G/01/x-locale/checkout/confirm-banner.gif

also this could be a dumb question, but does shipping options have its own step or where is it handled in the checkout process?
Linux/Apache
Net::SSLeay 1.25
libCURL libcurl/7.12.0 OpenSSL/0.9.7a zlib/1.1.4
www.ewdhosting.com
Old 09-09-2004, 03:13 PM

X-Guru

It would be real easy to do the completion %, the way I have it setup right now, is there are tabs. As you go across the tab your on becomes highlighted.

Shipping is handled in the Cart View same as it currently is, perhaps that could/should be changed too. Any suggestions?
Old 09-09-2004, 03:40 PM

X-Man

Jon,

Hurry up and get the 4.0 version done so I can use your coupon for September! LMAO

Suggestion

You might want to add the option to have the customer view or agree to either the full TOS or an abbreviated version. I have a mod like this and as a store owner, I cannot tell you how many idiotic questions it saves me having to answer. As my business grows, I look for aesthetically pleasing mods WITH value added. If you can make the customer experience better while easing the burdens of the store admins, you will be hitting grand slams everytime.

Code:
{math equation="x + y" x=$more_sales y=$less_headaches} OUTPUT: Happy Cart Owner
Old 09-09-2004, 04:17 PM

X-Guru

I'll see what I can do and may just extend u the coupon if need be

A mod to agree to the terms takes less than 2 minutes if you know what your doing, but to explain to somebody else how to do it takes a lot of instruction and could be very confusing to a novice user, so I don't want to add anything that's not necessary for installation purposes.

If you want that added and aren't sure how to do it I'll add that mod for u free of charge in your version.
   X-Cart forums > X-Cart 4 > Third Party Add-Ons for X-Cart 4