Follow us on Twitter X-Cart on Facebook Wiki
Shopping cart software Solutions for online shops and malls

X-Payments "Not Finished" status problems

X-Cart forums > X-Payments > X-Payments issues & questions

Old 01-17-2013, 04:31 PM

eXpert

Default X-Payments "Not Finished" status problems

Persistent "Not Finished" status is causing us problems.

If a customer clicks to checkout and gets to the payment page, X-Cart creates an order ID number with an initial status of "Not Finished". Ok so far.

If the customer does not complete the form, clicks to return to the store, or shuts down the browser, the orders stay "Not Finished" indefinitely. Not ok, because the "Not Finished" designation pulls stock out of inventory and it stays in limbo.

We have had customers with a last-in-stock item go to checkout, then go back to the store, then go to checkout again, creating two order ID numbers. A last-in-stock item that was in the cart for the earlier ID number is now not in the cart for the later ID number. Not good.

We started routinely marking "Not Finished" orders as "Failed" if they are older than 10-15 minutes to make the stock available again quicker. While doing this, we occasionally come upon a NF order that was actually charged. Damn.

We log most artificial order ID status changes. In the last 2500 orders, 40 were moved from Not Finished to Failed and stayed that way.

About 4-5 more were really charged. If we catch those quickly, they get marked 'Processed'. If not, we email the customer that the order was completed, but the notification system failed and ask if they still want the order. Awkward.

In 2 cases, customers placed orders that came in as 'Not Finished', but were charged 3 hours and 32 hours later when the customer came back to the store to place a new order after they thought the first order did not go thru. They get 2 paid almost identical orders. BAD.

This is all on a 4.5.0 store using X-Payments 1.0.4, then later 1.0.5, with Paypal Payflow Pro.

I would like to get a setting in X-Payments that will automatically convert an order from "Not Finished" to "Failed" if the customer leaves the payment page before placing a successful order, and prevent the card from every being charged for the previous order. Is this possible?

Image below is our worst case. Customer reaches the payment page with a new order and the "Not Finished" order from 32 hours earlier gets charged, followed 3 minutes later by a charge on the second order.

http://frogstore.com/oops.jpg
Old 01-17-2013, 04:55 PM

Veteran

Default Re: X-Payments "Not Finished" status problems

What you actually want is for XC NOT to create an order until that order has been completed - either paid for, failed, denied,...

I want that too

The following user thanks cflsystems for this useful post:
carpeperdiem (01-17-2013)
Old 01-17-2013, 05:32 PM

X-Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by cflsystems
What you actually want is for XC NOT to create an order until that order has been completed - either paid for, failed, denied,...

I want that too

What Steve said...

Bullfrog, are you using the iFrame xpayments interface? I had nothing but problems with it and went back to "default", and although I still see some "not finished", the majority of my customers are checking out successfully. XC 4.5.4, Altered Cart CheckoutOne (NOT using x-cart checkout pages) and XP 1.0.5 (not iFrame).

The other big annoyance as bullfrog said, if a customer gets to payment, then realizes they forgot something... BUTT UGLY for the customer and error messages sent to order dept. Fail.

As Steve said. I believe this is a fundamental design defect in X-Payments -- SURELY the engineers can find a way to not send an order to the cart until after the transaction is processed (failed)?

Let's keep this discussion open?
Old 01-17-2013, 10:06 PM

Veteran

The defect is actually in XC not X-Payments. XC has always worked that way - the first thing that is done after you click on "place order" is to create an order in orders table and assign it orderid - after that XC tries to run the payment - CC, offline, GC... Even if you use OPC with phone ordering - order will be created before anything else... regardless of if the payment method that follows is executed successfuly or not

The following user thanks cflsystems for this useful post:
ambal (01-17-2013)
Old 01-17-2013, 11:14 PM

X-Cart team

> The defect is actually in XC not X-Payments. XC has always worked that way

Yes, I confirm - this is NOT X-Payments. This is a "feature" of X-CART architecture when working with integrated payment systems.
X-Payments product manager
Old 01-17-2013, 11:27 PM

X-Cart team

Bullfrog, first of all I advise you to use 4.5.4 with X-Payments 1.0.5. This "couple" has better implementation of iFrame checkout comparing with 4.5.0 and 4.5.3.

Also, we are preparing major improvement of checkout routine (though visual changes are not really big) in one of next X-Cart versions and it should fix this issue in X-Cart, too.
X-Payments product manager
Old 01-18-2013, 12:30 AM

eXpert

I don't think Paypal Payflow Pro likes iframes. Our biggest store is 4.5.0 and I don't think iframes is a working option in that version.

I upgraded a smaller store to 4.5.3 using the same payment system and I could not get iframes to work. My next project is to upgrade the 4.5.3 store to 4.5.4 (or 4.5.5 if it is out soon) and see what difference that makes. After I see the results I'll consider upgrading the 4.5.0 to 4.5.4.

But basically, I'm not using iframes at this time on any store.

I also had problems getting Altered Cart OPC to work right on the 4.5.0 store, so it is now turned off. It worked, but there was something awkward about it that I don't recall at this time that made me turn it off. I'm back at fast lane again because I seem to have less customer confusion with that than the XC OPC.

While I'm complaining, the stores that have PayPal direct checkout links don't go thru normal checkout and therefore do not get to pick shipping other than our standard. But I guess that is a subject for another time.
   X-Cart forums > X-Payments > X-Payments issues & questions