Follow us on Twitter X-Cart on Facebook Wiki
Shopping cart software Solutions for online shops and malls

Advanced Instant Product Search - consuming server performance?

X-Cart forums > X-Cart 4 > Third Party Add-Ons for X-Cart 4

Old 02-28-2007, 11:13 PM

Default Re: Advanced Instant Product Search - consuming server performance?

I've been thinking more on the regular search script (for my cart), that has no output nor images displayed while customer is typing the query, X-Cart search is pretty sad, and can cost you sales. For now I've been using another search script (cgi) with standard text results (most customers are used to this type of search result anyways, so it's familiar to them) -it's working for me so far till I move to an x-cart search script that'll show thumbs on results, but I'm not too keen on having images or text while someone is typing their query, if they don't find it in the list, does that rule out their search altogether? (in customer's view) and from what I see, the script that you mentioned (text output) doesn't even seem to search through product description, so that's something else to think about and how a customer might interpret that and maybe again do away with search altogether.

Thanks for xcartmods.co.uk link, hadn't been there in a few days , I can see they added some missing freebies, I can vouch for FAQ's, awesome script, he's got some of the best freebies around (and a no nonsense direct d/l link to them) and even helped with some questions on his freebies.
Old 02-28-2007, 11:39 PM

X-Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by lcg
I've been thinking more on the regular search script (for my cart), that has no output nor images displayed while customer is typing the query, X-Cart search is pretty sad, and can cost you sales. For now I've been using another search script (cgi) with standard text results (most customers are used to this type of search result anyways, so it's familiar to them) -it's working for me so far till I move to an x-cart search script that'll show thumbs on results, but I'm not too keen on having images or text while someone is typing their query, if they don't find it in the list, does that rule out their search altogether? (in customer's view)
I think that images are distracting attention and give a wrong impression of what's available (even when 'show more results' is displayed underneath the first 10 results), especially with shops with thousands of products; it's like Google showing the first 10 results with images; imagine what for impact this'll have for results 11 - 9999 ...

I see/saw potential in the instant text result but you made me aware of the following:

Quote:
Originally Posted by lcg
... and from what I see, the script that you mentioned (text output) doesn't even seem to search through product description, so that's something else to think about and how a customer might interpret that and maybe again do away with search altogether.
Good point there, didn't think of that one.

Meanwhile I seriously have doubts about using this at all; I can't see -besides having a nice gadget- how customers and the commercial succes of your shop are served by either solution? Let's be realistic it is a search engine goodie which was -if I'm not mistaking- initiated by Google; not be be confused with a shop's commercial search functionality. We're not after presenting customers information in a slick way but to sell goodies, right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by lcg
Thanks for xcartmods.co.uk link, hadn't been there in a few days , I can see they added some missing freebies, I can vouch for FAQ's, awesome script, he's got some of the best freebies around (and a no nonsense direct d/l link to them) and even helped with some questions on his freebies.
PhilJ is a cool cat! Kudos!
-----------------------------------
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Looking for the best dutch language pack? 4.1.x - 4.6.x compatibel, native speaker translation! More info
Old 03-01-2007, 01:05 AM

You are right, it's just a gimmik and with all the distraction and false readings could even cost you sales ...one really needs the best -and dummy proof- results possible. Search results, when a potential customer is browsing your site is not something to take likely or play with.

One thing you should be serious about and that's upgrading to another search solution if you are using x-cart's default, my sales increased dramatically as soon as I dumpped it. (unless maybe your searches don't need to be that defined) ...so well they've gone even with text based search results (like google, for ex) that I've been hesitant to change to another search such as

http://www.websitecm.com/x-cart-mods/relevant-search-results.html

hehe... that's his name? Yeah PhilJ is cool dude ...really helped me out with install issues regarding his FAQ mod ...just installed the new (for me) progress bar, awesome mod! -not the best looking out there, but still functional and better than none
Old 03-01-2007, 01:22 AM

X-Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warwick
So what you're saying is that when you have 30+ visitors and a dedicated server there'll be no problems?

It shouldn't even break a sweat at that. We've got sites running on VPS (virtual private servers) running advanced instant search with up to 45 - 50 users with no problems.

The issue isn't really with the modification it's really just down to what you are hosted on, remember just because you have 30 people on your site, they won't all be searching at the exact same time, chances are only 4 or 5 of them will be typing into the search at that exact momebt, some cheaper shared hosts will limit the amount of mysql connections you get on cheap shared hosting which means there's a queue of requests waiting.

Used by X-carters the world over:
Marketing Manager Pro Bundle For X-cart
Featured Product Manager for X-cart
Feed manager pro for X-cart

http://www.firetanksoftware.com

Celebrating 7 Years of providing quality X-cart Add ons and X-cart Mods for x-cart 3.X to X-cart 4.4.X
Old 03-01-2007, 01:30 AM

X-Adept

Thumbs up Searching is Serious!

Searching is serious ... spread the word!
(maybe we should start a new thread regarding this philosophy )

Upgrading to another search solution, like you do with the cgi script? I'm not sure what you mean with search results being 'that defined' -> detailed?

Quote:
...so well they've gone even with text based search results (like google, for ex) that I've been hesitant to change to another search such as

http://www.websitecm.com/x-cart-mods/relevant-search-results.html
And I thought I discovered all mods ... missed this one, but ...
To use Relevant Search Results you must:
Use XCart 4.0.x
* Use only 1 language

I'm on 4.1.x and use multiple languages; which seems to be a problem with more than one mod I should add

But I must add that with 4.1.x you have the 'search keywords' which helps search results by adding 'hidden' serach terms. i.e. you have a sweater which has a lot of information about the fabric, color and size in the description ... with the search keywords you add something like 'moths' and it'll pop up when searching for that.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Looking for the best dutch language pack? 4.1.x - 4.6.x compatibel, native speaker translation! More info
Old 03-01-2007, 01:41 AM

X-Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groovico
chances are only 4 or 5 of them will be typing into the search at that exact momebt, some cheaper shared hosts will limit the amount of mysql connections you get on cheap shared hosting which means there's a queue of requests waiting.
Queue of requests waiting will mean complete site jammed right?

But I filter it does have a serious impact on performance compared to other actions in the shop.
Old 03-01-2007, 02:09 AM

Default Re: Searching is Serious!

Quote:
Upgrading to another search solution, like you do with the cgi script? I'm not sure what you mean with search results being 'that defined' -> detailed?

exactly or meaning that it may have a lot of keywords associated with your product.

Quote:
And I thought I discovered all mods ... missed this one, but ...
To use Relevant Search Results you must:
Use XCart 4.0.x
* Use only 1 language

you must be using a bad "search engine" :P

Quote:
I'm on 4.1.x and use multiple languages; which seems to be a problem with more than one mod I should add

But I must add that with 4.1.x you have the 'search keywords' which helps search results by adding 'hidden' serach terms. i.e. you have a sweater which has a lot of information about the fabric, color and size in the description ... with the search keywords you add something like 'moths' and it'll pop up when searching for that.

Never thought about Mod compatibility, guess even Pro may not be the right choice for certain stores because of this, I'm on 4.0.18g and I don't have "search keyword" options so I'm stuck entering keywords on item description.

Sorry if thread got DErailed!

Getting back to "Advanced Instant Product Search - consuming server performance?"
Old 03-01-2007, 02:27 AM

X-Adept

Talking Back on Track! :-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lcg
Sorry if thread got DErailed!

Getting back to "Advanced Instant Product Search - consuming server performance?"

Well all is related ...

Let me put it like this with any available basic or advanced searching mod:
Is it from a technical/programmers point of view -regardless of hosted on a virtual or dedicated server- wise/adviseable to implement this function?
Old 03-01-2007, 07:02 PM

Default Re: Back on Track! :-)

Quote:
Well all is related ...

Let me put it like this with any available basic or advanced searching mod:
Is it from a technical/programmers point of view -regardless of hosted on a virtual or dedicated server- wise/adviseable to implement this function?

Yes

I find the best way to find out if a feature/mod serves any purpose for end user is to sit newbies in front of the cart, ask them to do certain things and then use this information to better judge what might be helpful to a visitor, I've learned a lot in these sessions.
Old 03-02-2007, 01:47 AM

X-Adept

I couldn't agree more; right on the money, you should always have newbies test. But that doesn't answer the 'technical point of view' question I fear ... any ideas about that?
   X-Cart forums > X-Cart 4 > Third Party Add-Ons for X-Cart 4