X-Cart forums > News and Announcements

Old 07-30-2014, 01:40 AM

X-Cart team

Default Re: Avalara offers X-Cart 4 customers a 90-day Free Trial

Hi Steve,

Thank you for your valuable feedback.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cflsystems

I am used to the XC4 way where tax is setup on tax / tax rates screen and it does seem more logical to me - everything in one place. XC4 way also allows for specific calculations.

XC5 way have to go back and forth between different sections of the settings. Also adding new shipping method admin have to remember to adjust tax in there as well if needed....

Does it exists and I am not seeing it again but - what is the taxable amount - discounted total or total? Different countries have different laws of what is taxable, I even think different states in US have this as well. I am not seeing a way to do this in XC5 and it doesn't say which amount is taxed, can't set formulas either...

When you're used to Win and test Mac, the first couple of weeks you will most probably be ruing the day when you decided to try it. And it's not because Windows is so good (or bad), or because MacOS is inconvenient: they're just different, with the former being more acquainted to you at this stage. The situation is alike, when it comes to the interfaces of XC4 and XC5. We want to develop a more clear and user-friendly solution. It's different from v.4, it still has some faults and drawbacks, but we'll keep improving it based on the community requests. We do listen to the opinion of merchants and developers, working with the new platform, and I hope you also feel it.

Now to taxes: As it was explained to me,the xc4-like formula was not used on purpose, as this was a very technical approach. Instead, the tax is assigned to products and shipping methods on the corresponding pages. If you need to assign the tax to all products and shipping methods, on the rate settings page you should select "Any Class".

Currently the tax is applied to Total only.

There's no way to apply it to Discounted Total - but it's an important feature. It, as well as a number of tax system improvements, is queued and will appear in the nearest 1-2 releases.
Old 07-30-2014, 06:22 AM

Veteran

Default Re: Avalara offers X-Cart 4 customers a 90-day Free Trial

Thanks Ksenia
You have to consult a lot of merchants on this so it is implemented correctly. I am saying all this here because at its current stage this is unusable at least here in US. With this example
item1 - $10.00
item2 - $25.00
item3 - $17.50
Subtotal - $52.50
Discount blah-blah 50% - $26.25
Frequent buyer discount 10% - $5.25
Total - $21.00

Now charge 10% sales tax - either $2.10 (correct) or $5.25 (incorrect). This is huge difference. Customer will either abandon cart or merchant has to issue them a refund for the difference... This just screams to customer - get out of here...

The XC4 tax formula feature is the right way to implement this as it gives the merchant the power to define tax the way it works for them. It is not that technical.

Now if XC5 will be pushing merchants to use 3rd party connections for taxes that's different and maybe one day this will be necessary but not now not in near future.

I think the tax setup in XC4 is as it should be
   X-Cart forums > News and Announcements