Follow us on Twitter X-Cart on Facebook Wiki
Shopping cart software Solutions for online shops and malls

Avalara offers X-Cart 4 customers a 90-day Free Trial

X-Cart forums > News and Announcements

Old 07-28-2014, 03:19 AM

X-Cart team

Default Avalara offers X-Cart 4 customers a 90-day Free Trial

Hi folks,

Jim Bernardo from Avalara (Sales Tax Automation) has just contacted me with a good news: these guys offer X-Carters a 90 days free trial. Long enough to test it thoroughly, right? =)
To learn more about this offer, or to sign up for your free trial, go to http://www.info.avalara.com/xcart_90daytrial, or call Avalara at +1(877)780-4848

BTW, is anybody using AvaTax module already? How do you find it?

The following user thanks Ksenia for this useful post:
totaltec (07-29-2014)
Old 07-28-2014, 03:45 AM

Advanced Member

Default Re: Avalara offers X-Cart 4 customers a 90-day Free Trial

Hi Ksenia,
I am moving from my existing cart to Xcart now. and have used and still have an account with Avalara. had worked very well for us in the past. As we are based in Florida, we have a very complex sales tax structure with all the Discretionary tax add-ons

Brian
Pay with Amazon
Quickbooks by Webgility
Shop by Brand
Template #33 AutoParts
X-Payments
xCDN

The following user thanks Brian Watts for this useful post:
Ksenia (07-28-2014)
Old 07-28-2014, 03:56 AM

X-Cart team

Hi Brian,

Thank you so much for your feedback about Avalara: when I had a webinar with them I was really impressed, how complicated the tax system in the United States is: even 2 buildings standing next to each other ( the same city, the same street!) may be taxed differently - if I got the speaker correctly. If it really works this way, so very complicated, if I were a merchant, I would signup without hesitation.

The sad news for you, though, is that there's no Avatax module for X-Cart 5 yet ( for X-Cart 4 only), and according to your signature, this is the version you're switching to.

The good news, though, is that such a module is being considered to be added to X-Cart 5 package too. If there are many users of the 5th version, who would vote for this feature, it could rise the priority of the task.
Old 07-28-2014, 06:27 AM

Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Watts
As we are based in Florida, we have a very complex sales tax structure with all the Discretionary tax add-ons

Actually setting up Florida Sales Tax in XC is one of the easiest tax setups you can do. FL Sales Tax is not complex at all, extremely easy to setup

The following user thanks cflsystems for this useful post:
Ksenia (07-28-2014)
Old 07-28-2014, 07:33 AM

Veteran

To add to the previous post - unless I am missing something in XC5 correct setup of sales tax is impossible anyway as the system will tax only products. I do not see any way to tax shipping and shipping is taxable in most US states. This just makes the system unusable in its current stage (again this may exists but I am not seeing it).
Old 07-28-2014, 07:38 AM

Advanced Member

So far in my testing It is taxing both products and shipping
Pay with Amazon
Quickbooks by Webgility
Shop by Brand
Template #33 AutoParts
X-Payments
xCDN

The following user thanks Brian Watts for this useful post:
Ksenia (07-28-2014)
Old 07-28-2014, 07:49 AM

Veteran

Like I said I could be missing something but in my tests shipping is not included.

Sorry to hijack this thread Ksenia, can you please split the last posts into a new one. Thanks
Old 07-28-2014, 10:23 PM

X-Cart team

Hi Steve!
Quote:
Originally Posted by cflsystems
Sorry to hijack this thread Ksenia, can you please split the last posts into a new one. Thanks

It doesn't look completely off-topic, it's all around taxes. I think we can leave it here =)

Quote:
Like I said I could be missing something but in my tests shipping is not included.

Actually Brian is right: You can define the tax for shipping too:
http://awesomescreenshot.com/0a1384jg57

If you have to setup some specific tax rates for shipping, you can create a new tax class for shipping, setup rates for it, and assign this tax class to the shipping method you need.
Old 07-29-2014, 06:25 AM

Veteran

Hm I guess that just means I have not spend enough time with XC backend yet... You are correct - shipping can be set taxable.

I am used to the XC4 way where tax is setup on tax / tax rates screen and it does seem more logical to me - everything in one place. XC4 way also allows for specific calculations.

XC5 way have to go back and forth between different sections of the settings. Also adding new shipping method admin have to remember to adjust tax in there as well if needed....

Does it exists and I am not seeing it again but - what is the taxable amount - discounted total or total? Different countries have different laws of what is taxable, I even think different states in US have this as well. I am not seeing a way to do this in XC5 and it doesn't say which amount is taxed, can't set formulas either...

The following user thanks cflsystems for this useful post:
Ksenia (07-30-2014)
Old 07-29-2014, 12:02 PM

eXpert

Quote:
Hm I guess that just means I have not spend enough time with XC backend yet... You are correct - shipping can be set taxable.

I am used to the XC4 way where tax is setup on tax / tax rates screen and it does seem more logical to me - everything in one place. XC4 way also allows for specific calculations.

XC5 way have to go back and forth between different sections of the settings. Also adding new shipping method admin have to remember to adjust tax in there as well if needed....

Does it exists and I am not seeing it again but - what is the taxable amount - discounted total or total? Different countries have different laws of what is taxable, I even think different states in US have this as well. I am not seeing a way to do this in XC5 and it doesn't say which amount is taxed, can't set formulas either...
Here in The Netherlands we have an even better situation: we don't pay tax on shipping costs as a business, but consumers that pay for the shipping costs are taxed on that.

We have taxing on shipping costs turned off however, since it's normal not to pay tax on shipping costs as a consumer, even though we still have to turn over tax on the shipping costs to the government.

Still with me?
Cause it's a weird situation, I barely get it.
   X-Cart forums > News and Announcements