Shopping cart software Solutions for online shops and malls

Thickbox 3

X-Cart forums > X-Cart 4 > Third Party Add-Ons for X-Cart 4

Old 07-04-2007, 10:10 AM

X-Guru

Default Thickbox 3

Thickbox 3 has been released

http://jquery.com/demo/thickbox/

Unfortunately, it's making a mess of my product pages -- formatting of the product description (html and css based) is essentially wiped out when the new Thickbox3 css is installed. It's as if ALL html and css is stripped from the product description field IF Thickbox3 is installed.

Oh, the way I installed Thickbox3 -- based on instructions here:

Quote:
Question - I am using an older version of ThickBox. How do I upgrade?Answer - I suggest stripping out the old CSS and JS and adding back in the new code created for the current version of ThickBox. If that is bad news, then hold tight - I have some good news, too. The way by which ThickBox is invoked has not changed. So, there is no need to change the HTML that invokes a ThickBox.
So, I simply replaced the css and js files. I do not like the new "loadingAnimation.gif" -- so I used the old one (but tried the new one). The "jquery-compressed.js" is new as well. BUT -- In testing, I determined it's the new "thickbox.css" that broke the old pages (the formating this is).

Why do I want to use Thickbox3? It now allows embedded pdf, html, iframed content, inline content, and AJAX content... Without any extra js code --

I would love to replace all my popups with thickbox (besides images)... and some of my popups are html. SO -- trying to get Thickbox3 to work!

Can someone who has Thickbox2 installed, simply replace the css and js and tell me what it does to your html formatted product descriptons? Is it just me?

A note to other forum mods: I am posting this in "Third Party" even though Thickbox is not really a 3rd party mod -- it's contributed code for any website distributed as open source under the GNU license. So no developer really owns this... and the code is not xcart specific, although it can easily be used in xcart. So is it 3rd party or is it a hack? At some point, this could be called a completed mod, but it's not ready-to-eat. Let's call it 3rd party for now?

PS -- in the new thickbox css, I see an entry:

Code:
* html #TB_overlay

I thought I knew some things about css... but have never seen a "* html" before an ID... what does the "* html" do to an id entry? This occurs 4 times, all related to IE6 hacks. Can someone explain?
Old 07-04-2007, 11:34 AM

Advanced Member

Default Re: Thickbox 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by carpeperdiem
Can someone who has Thickbox2 installed, simply replace the css and js and tell me what it does to your html formatted product descriptons? Is it just me?

Same for me, the css file is stripping out <br> tags
Easy Checkout
Old 07-04-2007, 11:43 AM

X-Guru

Upon further testing, it is also stripping out <ul> and <li> tags -- making html lists pretty U-G-L-Y.

While we're discussing Thickbox, can someone tell me why the 7Dana Thickbox code DOES NOT put the script into the header, rather, it embeds as-needed to the product page, calling, thickbox_include.tpl -- upon review of the include, I see the CSS is called by:

Code:
<style type="text/css" media="all">@import "{$SkinDir}/thickbox/files/thickbox.css";</style>

What does "@import" do here?

Is this a better way for the script to load than via the header (and thus available for all pages)?

If I want to use Thickbox throughout my site, am I better putting the script into the header code (home.tpl), then I can just call it from everywhere? Or is it better to call it as needed?

Thanks

Jeremy
Old 07-04-2007, 11:47 AM

Advanced Member

Found it, comment out line 4 of the css file with a /
Easy Checkout
Old 07-04-2007, 11:53 AM

X-Guru

Wow. Thanks for finding this. You wonder why there is a line of css that looks like this:

*{padding: 0; margin: 0;}

It really should be:
/*{padding: 0; margin: 0;} */

BUT THEN -- can you figure out what

* html

is doing before some of the new #TB entries?
Old 07-04-2007, 10:54 PM

eXpert

Quote:
Wow. Thanks for finding this. You wonder why there is a line of css that looks like this:

*{padding: 0; margin: 0;}

It really should be:
/*{padding: 0; margin: 0;} */

BUT THEN -- can you figure out what

* html

is doing before some of the new #TB entries?

* is a universal selector, its basically used as an IE hack for css

ie:
* html .blahblahblah
means for .blahblahblah in html in anything else
Old 07-05-2007, 09:20 AM

X-Wizard

* universal selectors are also used for CSS in true XHTML documents (e.g. documents that have both a document type of XHTML but also send as a content-type of application/xhtml+xml which X-Cart fails to follow in a standards requirement) as XHTML in itself is more anal about completness of tags and formatting. Because of this * has to be used in Internet Explorer because Microsoft does not follow the application/xhtml+xml spec which is ironic since the Internet Explorer development team also happens to be on the W3C Board
Old 07-05-2007, 01:28 PM

X-Adept

Quote:
Upon further testing, it is also stripping out <ul> and <li> tags -- making html lists pretty U-G-L-Y.

While we're discussing Thickbox, can someone tell me why the 7Dana Thickbox code DOES NOT put the script into the header, rather, it embeds as-needed to the product page, calling, thickbox_include.tpl -- upon review of the include, I see the CSS is called by:

Code:
<style type="text/css" media="all">@import "{$SkinDir}/thickbox/files/thickbox.css";</style>

What does "@import" do here?

Is this a better way for the script to load than via the header (and thus available for all pages)?

If I want to use Thickbox throughout my site, am I better putting the script into the header code (home.tpl), then I can just call it from everywhere? Or is it better to call it as needed?

Thanks

Jeremy

Jeremy, the only reason is to simplify the installation process for non-expert users....of course, if you know what you're are doing or if you plan to use the extended features of Thickbox script like iframed content, inline content, and AJAX content on other pages you can move the script to the header.

7dana.com
   X-Cart forums > X-Cart 4 > Third Party Add-Ons for X-Cart 4