Follow us on Twitter X-Cart on Facebook Wiki
Shopping cart software Solutions for online shops and malls

X-Cart 4.1.0 beta 2 released

Closed Thread
   X-Cart forums > News and Announcements

Old 12-24-2005, 02:50 PM

X-Adept

*****Improvement suggestion for the customer registration page*****

The "Contract Information" section should be removed. The "Phone" and "Email Address" fields can be moved up under the "Personal Information" section.

It would be even better if the "Username" field is also removed. That way, we can just use the email address as username to log in. Going this route, the "Password" field can be moved up under "Personal Information" section as well. And then we can take out the "Username & Password" section too.

Two birds, one stone!!!

http://img375.imageshack.us/img375/4610/xcartregistration7nu.jpg

I understand that there are custom mod for using email as username to log in. However, I would like to see this as a default install, out of the box from X-cart release. I am sure many of x-cart customers here would agree with me on this. One less custom mod you would have to deal with during the next x-cart upgrade.

The same goes for moving the text fields around in the customer registration page. I know you can create custom text fields within the "Admin Console". However, just as I mentioned in the above paragraph, I can't think of any reason why it should be implemented as part of the default install.

Cheers
-Tuan
Old 12-25-2005, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Not sure if this was already mention but for the billing and shipping information if a customer wants to ship to someone else where are they to enter that person's name?

I agree! This is an extreme hassle. When you are shipping to a different address, chances are you are also shipping to someone with a different name i.e., a gift! Defaulting to YOUR NAME and someone elses address just don't work. There really needs to be a name filed there so the customer can enter what needs to be there for them.

This option dissapeared somewhere in 4.0.x. Don't know why, but it did. If you 'register' or 'modify your profile', the customer is left wondering where to put the ship to name.

http://www.magazinesinthemail.com/cart/files/images/no-bill.jpg
Old 12-25-2005, 09:40 PM

X-Cart team

Since X-Cart 4.0 forms are customzible by admin. Go to "General Setting -> User profile options" there you can specify what fileds should appear during the registration/checkout and whether they are mandatory or not. What you see after install are just default settings.
Old 12-26-2005, 05:34 AM

As it is now, I see no option there to turn it on!

http://www.magazinesinthemail.com/cart/files/images/user.gif
Old 12-26-2005, 07:21 AM

cancel my last post. I see that option in 4.1.0, but not in 4.0.17
Old 12-29-2005, 01:27 AM

Advanced Member

As an Aussie internet store manager I am so happy to see the changes Xcart are making in the new version. Thank You for listening to requests and responding.

I would ask for one thing more so we can display and sell more products.

We have over 1000 products and still adding more every week.
I would like to be able choose a suitable template when I add a product and when I create a category. Products in some categories are best displayed in a simple list with a buy now and quantity button. Other categories need a 2or3 column layout with a clickthru to the product details page. Other products have lots of variants and need a template that shows thumbnails (colour swatches), a quantity and multiple add to cart button at the bottom of the page. It would be great to have a choice of dropdown menus, radio buttons, quantity input and checkboxes also make it easier to make the store look great for many different types of products.

I dont want to do a whole lot of if then modifications to the code. The more hacking that is done the more difficult it is to upgrade. I want the simple solutions. Basically I want the cart admin to be easy to manage. I want to be spending my time at the other end of the process - customer service, analysing financial reports and chasing new products and markets.

Basically you guys can talk about the coding and it goes right over the top of my head. -As a programmer I make a great accountant . So, I will leave you to sort that stuff out. If you can give me the tools to present my products in the best possible way then I will make more sales. This is the one thing that I find most frustrating at the moment.

Hope this helps you make plans for future releases with the views of a non-technical client in mind.
Old 12-30-2005, 11:55 AM

X-Adept

I am not sure how shipping is working, but if it is like the 4.0 version, then I think it is hosed!

I think that the shipping modules should go back to the way they were and allow us to choose all of the shipping methods we wish to use and NOT have UPS Dicatate to us who we CAN and CANNOT use!

Right now, if you use the UPS shipping, it drops other shippers or makes them secondary in a second drop down window. They make shipping mod difficult for the end user to select shipping method.

So, in my ongoing vow to NOT USE UPS while they do this to xcart stores, if this is contiunued in the next branch, I will remain on the path I currently am on and that is SCREW UPS! I BOYCOT THEM FOR THIS!

Not to shout at xcart users, but I was hoping they (UPS) hear this. I have actually thrown all of their normal carrier business to FedEx and got a cheaper deal with them for it! Ha!

I also think xcart should be up front about this as you cannot use ALL shipping methods as you once could (nice single drop down window). So, cart owners are burnt for this in the end as well if for some reason they prefer UPS but also want to carry other carriers adn end up woith cumbersome shipping choices.

This is far more worse than Microsoft has been in their manipulation of services offered. here UPS has dictated to xcart what they can actually do with their own software. If I was xcart, I would have dropped THEM! Now with that kind of loss in revenure for all of those stores on the market, UPS would have backed off. I do not see anyone else forced into this.

Just my two cents as I have not heard anyone say anything about this in a long time. I guess everyone laid down and took it or I missed something huge and do not know it?
Old 12-30-2005, 03:51 PM

eXpert

Default loggin failed

i've installed BETA 2. But i can not log in.
master master doesn't work. on front end i can register a new user, got an confirmation email from the store, but also cannot loggin as customes. anyoe knows how come.... and what to do...

greetz

Using: X-cart 4.5.4
AT: http://www.weckonline.com LIVE
Old 12-31-2005, 02:17 AM

X-Adept

Tried installing.

Got sql errors on admin loginpage and no text. Error was pertaining to get_language. Looked in the DB and languages was empty.

Uploaded into the DB from sql and now text is visible but still error re get_language and unable to login with master master.

Too tired to mess with it. Will reinstall all tomorrow and see if the second time is the charm
Old 12-31-2005, 04:30 AM

Default Re: loggin failed

Quote:
Originally Posted by weckie
i've installed BETA 2. But i can not log in.
master master doesn't work. on front end i can register a new user, got an confirmation email from the store, but also cannot loggin as customes. anyoe knows how come.... and what to do...

greetz

got the same error I will look at the sql table and see if there is a prob as well
   X-Cart forums > News and Announcements