Follow us on Twitter X-Cart on Facebook Wiki
Shopping cart software Solutions for online shops and malls

Fourth generation e-commerce solution by Qualiteam

X-Cart forums > News and Announcements

Old 10-05-2009, 02:52 PM

Default Re: Fourth generation e-commerce solution by Qualiteam

Hi it's great to hear from you and know that you are pursuing another "truly open source" project that will easily integrate with tools like Joomla!. However, the Ecwid site was so slow in loading for me I was not able to spend much time reviewing it - is this just because of traffic vs resources? One of the biggest complaints I get on LiteCommerce is the slow processing during checkout etc - I would not want to put my clients in another "slow" site. Looking forward to seeing this project advance.
my site www.sitebuildernow.net
Old 10-05-2009, 10:37 PM

X-Cart team

Lightbulb Re: Fourth generation e-commerce solution by Qualiteam

Quote:
Originally Posted by harmony
Hi it's great to hear from you and know that you are pursuing another "truly open source" project that will easily integrate with tools like Joomla!. However, the Ecwid site was so slow in loading for me I was not able to spend much time reviewing it - is this just because of traffic vs resources? One of the biggest complaints I get on LiteCommerce is the slow processing during checkout etc - I would not want to put my clients in another "slow" site. Looking forward to seeing this project advance.

Thank you for your feedback. Low response time is of very high priority for us. Ecwid is designed to be fast, and we want to keep it this way.

I am trying to reproduce the problem you mentioned, but with no luck. Can you please provide more details: on what pages did you experience delays ? Please provide us with the page URL. Is it still slow for you now or were the delays momentary ? If it's working fast now, the date and time of that moment when you experienced delays would also be very helpful. Please send it to me by private message along with your time zone. Include name and version of the browser you use.

Ecwid web site consists of many third party web applications like the CMS, forum software, bugtracker software and ideas tracker. Though they all worked fast enough according to our experience, any of them migh have affected the speed. In order to experience pure Ecwid speed, you can just add Ecwid to your site and see for yourself.

Alternatively, you can create a file named demo.html on your local PC and populate it with this code:

Code:
<html><body> <div> <script type='text/javascript' src='http://app.ecwid.com/script.js?1003'></script> <script type='text/javascript'> xCategories("style="); </script> </div> <div> <script type='text/javascript' src='http://app.ecwid.com/script.js?1003'></script> <!-- remove layout parameter if you want to position minicart yourself --> <script type='text/javascript'> xMinicart("style=","layout=attachToCategories"); </script> </div> <div> <script type='text/javascript' src='http://app.ecwid.com/script.js?1003'></script> <script type='text/javascript'> xProductBrowser("itemsPerRow=3","itemsPerPage=6","searchResultsItemsPerPage=10","style="); </script> <noscript>Your browser does not support JavaScript. Please proceed to <a href="http://mdemo.ecwid.com">HTML version of Demo store</a></noscript> </div> </body></html>

... then open this file in your browser. The file has Ecwid widget code in it and you'll be able to experience Ecwid performance unobstructed by other web applications. Don't be confused by the fact that the file is on your local hard drive: this is what makes Ecwid fast. All User Interface is at client-side in Ecwid, it's running at the client PC and only makes server connections to fetch product data.

Twitter: @aznakai

Last edited by rrf : 10-06-2009 at 01:52 AM.
Old 10-06-2009, 08:14 AM

Your feedback helps me to understand that this may be a client side issue on my system. I went to the site today and did not experience such slow load times. I will set up an actual demo for myself and get back to you. This looks very promising! I am glad to read further that you are not planning to keep it for "small" stores - We need something new and refreshing for all ecommerce levels!
my site www.sitebuildernow.net
Old 10-07-2009, 09:22 AM

X-Guru

On the demo, it's not possible to drag items onto the bag if you scroll down too far (ie. the bag is out of sight).

So you might want to think about having the bag scroll up and down the page with you.

The system itself looks promising, but not all that great in terms of SEO.
Old 10-08-2009, 12:02 AM

X-Cart team

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilJ
On the demo, it's not possible to drag items onto the bag if you scroll down too far (ie. the bag is out of sight).

So you might want to think about having the bag scroll up and down the page with you.

The system itself looks promising, but not all that great in terms of SEO.

Hi Phil,

Report that on http://www.ecwid.com/bt/ if it's a bug or use http://ideas.ecwid.com/ to report an enhancement for Ecwid

Thank you for taking interest to Ecwid anyway
X-Payments product manager
Old 10-08-2009, 12:19 AM

X-Wizard

Alex, from the looks of your avatar you've been putting on weight!

"If you don't keep an eye on your business, someone else will."
Old 10-08-2009, 12:26 AM

X-Cart team

Quote:
Originally Posted by photo
Alex, from the looks of your avatar you've been putting on weight!

Did you know that Alex's nick 'ambal' means in Russian a 'big strong guy'? : -)

ex-Head of X-Cart Tech Support Department
ex- X-Cart Hosting Manager - X-Cart hosting
ex-X-Cart Technical Support Engineer

Note: For the official guaranteed tech support services please turn to the Customers HelpDesk.
Old 10-08-2009, 12:52 AM

X-Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ene
Did you know that Alex's nick 'ambal' means in Russian a 'big strong guy'? : -)

Is he the bouncer then for Xcart?

"If you don't keep an eye on your business, someone else will."
Old 10-08-2009, 01:26 AM

X-Cart team

I'd say a "brute" or "bruiser" would be an adequate translation

Old 10-08-2009, 01:54 AM

X-Cart team

Quote:
Originally Posted by ambal
Hi Phil,

Report that on http://www.ecwid.com/bt/ if it's a bug or use http://ideas.ecwid.com/ to report an enhancement for Ecwid

Thank you for taking interest in Ecwid anyway

Generally - yes, this is the way to make Ecwid what you want it to be.

But there is no need in reporting on drag and drop thing right now as it has already been reported by customers and the code that allows drag and drop to scroll the screen is even coded in already. Now it's waiting to pass the in-house testing and then it will be released to public. That will be Ecwid 2.0 and servers will be updated with it in about a month.

Аctually we knew about this issue before releasing the first version, however we have released Ecwid anyway. We do not consider it a bug because it does not prevent customers from ordering. You can always order a product without drag and drop, in an old-fashioned way. We were not sure if customers would expect drag and drop to scroll the browser or not.

One key difference between Ecwid and X-Cart is that in Ecwid team we are focused on very short TTM (time-to-market). We believe that shipping a good quality product right now is much better than shipping an excellent quality product a year from now.

There are always zillion ways to improve a product. Trying to implement all of them extends time of estimated release to infinity.
In Ecwid, we want to make sure that we focus on improvements considered important by customers. We think that it's better to get feedback from customers and then make the product go the way customers want it to go.

Unlike Ecwid, X-Cart is a PHP software and you can't update it every month. That would be too expensive to customers even if the updates are free. That's why X-Cart team groups updates in much larger chunks. But this, unfortunately, adds what I call "being in darkness": working on a product without customer feedback. This way, resources may be spent on improvements that are never actually used by customers. Study by Standish Group International shows that 45% of software features are never used by customers.

For example, we do want to implement Coupon support in Ecwid, Discounts and Paypal Pro support. I also think that support for Zoomify would be nice. Many of our testers insisted that this idea is a must have.
We could spend our time on implementing all my ideas or the things that our testers considered a "must have". But instead, we made it possible for customers to have a look at the product earlier - and tell us what improvements would benefit more customers at a time.

That was on "scrolling on drag&drop" topic.

Now, to the SEO: there is SEO support in Ecwid. You can have mobile store, which is pure HTML, and you can even have it at your URL like mobile.yoursite.com. Not only it's easy to use from mobile phone, but also it does help SEO. We will add more SEO features - as soon as customers suggest something like "have product name in mobile version URL". And we will implement it then.
Right now, Ecwid has SEO capabilities, and you can find products in the mobile store by using Google. The nice thing about our Ecwid SEO support is that it's already there and we can improve it futher. I believe it has a good potential: mobile version focuses on pure meaningful content. You can search for "ecwid t-shirt" and you will find it. The only thing that obstructs the way is "ecw t-shirt" suggestion, but this will go away as soon as Google bases update with "Ecwid" as a new word.

We have one big problem though: we have a product in our pre-defined base: http://app.ecwid.com/jsp/58007/simple-store#ecwid:category=94019&mode=product&product=16 2052 and I must admit it's pretty hard to find this nice green fruit in Google by its name.

Last edited by rrf : 10-08-2009 at 02:46 AM.
   X-Cart forums > News and Announcements