Follow us on Twitter X-Cart on Facebook Wiki
Shopping cart software Solutions for online shops and malls

Can I buy skins?

X-Cart forums > X-Cart 4 > Dev Questions > Changing design

Old 01-14-2003, 07:37 AM

Default Can I buy skins?

I am curious if anyone sells skins? And even going a little further than that does anyone create different layouts of xcart? At the moment I only have 1 xcart but I would like to buy a few more. The only thing is that all of my web sites sell the same or similar things (different prices, and shipping options), and if xcart doesnt look different to the search engines then they will de-rank me. So I would need a cart setup with a completly different look not only to the human but to the spiders. Any idea's?

Regards
Old 01-14-2003, 09:19 AM

Advanced Member

Default Different domain

If your other websites are different domains and names, a spider is not going to know the difference.

FishBookStore.com
Version (3.3.1) (Not Live)
Old 01-14-2003, 10:08 AM

Mark...

If I had 3 regular x-cart's and I used the same database for all of the, they would look identical to spiders and humans alike. I have been booted from google and dmoz before for this. They consider it spam.

Regards
Britt
Old 01-14-2003, 01:57 PM

Advanced Member

Are you selling different products or are you just trying to increase your exposure on the search engines?

FishBookStore.com
Old 01-14-2003, 01:59 PM

Increase exposure. Use different keyword's and marketing strategies with them to see what converts best.
Old 01-14-2003, 02:17 PM

Advanced Member

So in other words spamming the search engines.

Why not try purchasing keywords from Overture to do your marketing?

"Tanning lotion" will cost you between $0.50-$0.80 per click.

[/url]

FishBookStore.com
Old 01-14-2003, 02:22 PM

Mark... Not spamming... People complain becuase there is no free shipping, so I make a site with free shipping and raise the prices 10%. There are 2 web sites. The search engine will see it as spamming, but I am not. I just do not want to get de-ranked for having 2 identical looking web sites.

Regards
Old 01-14-2003, 03:31 PM

X-Guru

If you ran them from different domains and changed the text around and used a few different keywords then I cant see why you would get a problem.

Just make it look like a different store. I would imagine a search engine may pick up on it if you set up the exact same thing over and over again. You just need to be a bit more crafty with it.

There are plenty of ways to get better rankings anyway. One of the best that Ive always found is to be linked to from plenty of other sites and keep your content current. Even if this is just updating your homepage regulaly.

If you want a new design for a site give us a shout and Ill take a look

EWD Hosting
Hands On Hosting
Old 01-15-2003, 03:18 AM

Advanced Member

Well the first rule of DMOZ is "Do not submit mirror sites. Mirror sites are sites that contain identical content, but have altogether different URLs. "

Rule #2 " Do not submit URLs that contain only the same or similar content as other sites you may have listed in the directory. Sites with overlapping and repetitive content are not helpful to users of the directory. Multiple submissions of the same or related sites may result in the exclusion and/or deletion of those and all affiliated sites. "

FishBookStore.com
Old 01-15-2003, 05:18 AM

Mark...

I don't think that we are on the same page here. Read my previous post. I am not asking you the consequences of posting mirror sites. I am telling you that I have sites with nearly identical content, but different prices. Like I said before, I used to get e-mail after e-mail with people crying that they got free shipping on other web site's, what they didn't take the time to notice was that the prices were higher. So I built another site with free shipping and raised my prices 10%. The cost still comes out almost the same on each site. I know how to get around this on traditional html sites. But I am afraid that with x-cart they are going to look too similar. This is a forum about a shopping cart, not about search engine ethics.

Regards
   X-Cart forums > X-Cart 4 > Dev Questions > Changing design