Follow us on Twitter X-Cart on Facebook Wiki
Shopping cart software Solutions for online shops and malls

Change the Featured Products Title Only?

X-Cart forums > X-Cart 4 > Dev Questions > Changing design

Old 06-18-2004, 01:56 PM

Here is the Featured.tpl

Code:
{* $Id: featured.tpl,v 1.14 2003/02/07 11:35:04 svowl Exp $ *} {capture name=dialog} {if $f_products ne ""} {include file="customer/main/products.tpl" products=$f_products featured="Y"} {else} There are no available featured products... {/if} {/capture} {include file="dialog.tpl" title="Super Deals!" content=$smarty.capture.dialog extra="width=100%"}
Old 06-18-2004, 04:44 PM

X-Guru

Ahhh! As I expected.

What happened, is you put "Super Deals!" hard coded in the featured.tpl You should have left it $lng.lbl_featured_products and just changed the value of lbl_featured_products in your admin area under languages.

Does this make sense? Then you don't have to change featured.tpl to change "Super Deals!" to something else.

Carrie

We support X-cart versions 3.x through 5.x!

Home of the famous Authorize.net DPM & CIM Modules, Reward Points Module, Point of Sale module, Speed Booster modules and more!

Over 200 X-cart Mods available & Thousands of Customizations Since 2002 - bcsengineering.com

Please E-Mail us for questions/support!
Old 06-18-2004, 05:21 PM

That makes sense. The only thing is that I couldn't change the value of l_featured_products anymore in the admin area under languages because I clicked on the Compile Templates box so that the only language I would have was English. Since I did that I don't have access to changing things in the languages area. Think I should click "restore file" under the templates edit section for featured.tpl, and replace it with the default or is there something else I can do? Just let me know what I can do to get it working...Thanks a lot Carrie!
Old 06-18-2004, 05:36 PM

X-Guru

OH. Hum. I've never done that before.

What you can do instead then, is in the if have this:

Code:
{if $title eq "Super Deals!" } class=NewDialogTitle {else} class=DialogTitle {/if}

That should work too I think. I don't know if you have to recompile the templates after changing them though with the way you have it set up.

Carrie

We support X-cart versions 3.x through 5.x!

Home of the famous Authorize.net DPM & CIM Modules, Reward Points Module, Point of Sale module, Speed Booster modules and more!

Over 200 X-cart Mods available & Thousands of Customizations Since 2002 - bcsengineering.com

Please E-Mail us for questions/support!
Old 06-18-2004, 06:36 PM

OOOOOHHH, there we go! I see what you were saying now! I Restored the file back to the old, and I see how it hard coded the "Super Deals" into featured.tpl. Works awesome now! What can I say, except thanks, once again Carrie! You really know what you are doing!! Thanks for being so patient too!

One last question...how would I change the font for the "Super Deals" to Impact font?
Old 06-18-2004, 08:51 PM

X-Man

You NEVER EVER EVER want to compile the templates. EVER.

I wish X-Cart would remove that altogether.

What it does is go through all of your templates and replace the language variables with the current database values. Making label and text modifications to your site a bloody nightmare.

If your store was very very static and you had finished buidling it (happy with everything) then I suppose you could compile the templates for a small speed boost, but no large dynamic site would ever do this and that would be the type of site most likely to benefit from this process.
Old 06-18-2004, 09:28 PM

Unfortunately I did it quite a while back...I was thinking I can click on "Restore file" for many of the .tpl's that were changed during this process since there is no other way to reverse this, is there?
Old 06-18-2004, 09:32 PM

X-Man

You will lose most if not all of your template modifications.
Old 06-18-2004, 09:38 PM

Yeah, I was thinking the only thing I could do since I didn't make a huge amount of changes just yet is go through many of the .tpl's that include text or labels that I might want to edit in the future and restore them. I can leave the ones that I know I have edited alone. I'm thinking this is better at least then completely reinstalling x-cart again. What do you think? I know it will be time consuming going through each one, but I can hopefully just restore the ones I think I willl want to use "languages" for later.
Old 06-18-2004, 09:43 PM

X-Man

It's your call buddy.

Make sure you backup regularly when you are developing so you can go back and undo stuff like this.

Backing up your templates is so, so important and often overlooked when people back up before modifying their store.

Best of luck.
   X-Cart forums > X-Cart 4 > Dev Questions > Changing design