Follow us on Twitter X-Cart on Facebook Wiki
Shopping cart software Solutions for online shops and malls

css editing program

X-Cart forums > X-Cart 4 > Dev Questions > Changing design

Old 02-11-2010, 08:50 AM

Default Re: css editing program

Firefox + Firebug is a great tool.

For local development, if on a PC, I use Dreamweaver (there's a plugin floating around for {Smarty} integration) and if on a MAC I use CODA.
Old 02-11-2010, 09:18 AM

X-Adept

Css is great, as it's a real challenge. All software controlling styling does it in many different ways, But the css being used in principle is the same.

A good start is to understand where each element of css is controlling what, then you can design away to your hearts content.

Understand this and then it's down to making it browser compatible, then valid csss, and so on.

Go on try it, it's a great challenge, and lately I think is becoming easier to control css, it's just the various software developers that will make it very difficult to find where and what's going on there's the challenge for you. X-cart is a prime example, but I have learnt there really isn't that much to x-cart css once you crack what's controlling what. The buttons are the worse css I have ever seen.

As to your question, we all use diffrent software for css, etc, most of us will use a combination of aids. Notepad, and Dreamweaver is top of my list, but I use many others. It's down to personal taste etc.

I'm waffling on now.
Good Luck
Old 02-11-2010, 09:56 AM

Well I have downloaded both programs and I do have dreamweaver (but I read somewhere that dreamweaver doesnt work with xcart).

I guess the first thing is to backup everything up first.

Thanks so much for everyones help, I will let you know what happens.

I am working with variants oh a pain in the behind, I also want to remove the weight from the customers side....oh so many wants and needs, tell me where is the time for it all!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo
Css is great, as it's a real challenge. All software controlling styling does it in many different ways, But the css being used in principle is the same.

A good start is to understand where each element of css is controlling what, then you can design away to your hearts content.

Understand this and then it's down to making it browser compatible, then valid csss, and so on.

Go on try it, it's a great challenge, and lately I think is becoming easier to control css, it's just the various software developers that will make it very difficult to find where and what's going on there's the challenge for you. X-cart is a prime example, but I have learnt there really isn't that much to x-cart css once you crack what's controlling what. The buttons are the worse css I have ever seen.

As to your question, we all use diffrent software for css, etc, most of us will use a combination of aids. Notepad, and Dreamweaver is top of my list, but I use many others. It's down to personal taste etc.

I'm waffling on now.
Good Luck
Old 02-11-2010, 10:03 AM

X-Adept

Well, there really is no specific program, where you can fully design php, software, what you do is look for what's controlling each element of the design, and then use various aids, IE dreamweaver, notepad etc to redesign etc.

You cannot just edit say for example One controlling page of x-cart and everything changes as, css sheet also controls the design elements.

Wish you luck anyway.
Old 02-11-2010, 01:47 PM

So what you are saying is that I can not change the home page and then all the other pages will look the same. Is that what I am understanding.

Quote:
Well, there really is no specific program, where you can fully design php, software, what you do is look for what's controlling each element of the design, and then use various aids, IE dreamweaver, notepad etc to redesign etc.

You cannot just edit say for example One controlling page of x-cart and everything changes as, css sheet also controls the design elements.

Wish you luck anyway.
Old 02-11-2010, 02:18 PM

X-Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearsnum34
So what you are saying is that I can not change the home page and then all the other pages will look the same. Is that what I am understanding.

By Far Nope............... It's all controlled via css, and different page templates, calling a combination of various css element styles.

The only way to do this is, if you create a pure html page from scratch, then that would make it a normal html page with no programming added, then all your other pages would look the same yes..

To sum up learn where and what each template does in x-cart and start from there.
Old 03-16-2010, 12:54 PM

Quick question.....I know when I use FrontPage I can preview the changes I made to a webpage that is HTML coded. I have downloaded notepad++ and firebug as recommended. When I put the copy and paste the page into Notepad++ is there a way to view what it would look like? I have looked and can not seem to find it, also with firebug the same thing.

I guess were I am going with this is I would like to be able to see what the changes look like before I make the change.

Many Thanks,

Quote:
By Far Nope............... It's all controlled via css, and different page templates, calling a combination of various css element styles.

The only way to do this is, if you create a pure html page from scratch, then that would make it a normal html page with no programming added, then all your other pages would look the same yes..

To sum up learn where and what each template does in x-cart and start from there.
Old 03-16-2010, 02:56 PM

X-Adept

1. Can you view within Notepad++ (Nope)
2. Can you view code in real time (Nope) it's all smarty and other bits

The way to view changes are to upload, and see the changes, if you don't like you keep editing.

Another way is editing on a home server, you can see the changes just via save, and change very quickly.

Dreamweaver has live view but this is aimed at html pages, unless you have a server setup..

People still use front page blimey...

It's all a learning curb.......
Old 03-16-2010, 02:59 PM

Shoot I figured as much, I was just hoping I was missing something.

Thanks so very much!!

Quote:
1. Can you view within Notepad++ (Nope)
2. Can you view code in real time (Nope) it's all smarty and other bits

The way to view changes are to upload, and see the changes, if you don't like you keep editing.

Another way is editing on a home server, you can see the changes just via save, and change very quickly.

Dreamweaver has live view but this is aimed at html pages, unless you have a server setup..

People still use front page blimey...

It's all a learning curb.......
Old 03-16-2010, 03:03 PM

Veteran

You can view how changes will look like with Firebug . Just load the page and start changing values in Firebug - you will see the change
   X-Cart forums > X-Cart 4 > Dev Questions > Changing design