Follow us on Twitter X-Cart on Facebook Wiki
Shopping cart software Solutions for online shops and malls

Rich Google Search Results module released

X-Cart forums > News and Announcements

Old 02-05-2013, 05:07 PM

X-Guru

Default Re: Rich Google Search Results module released

Gavin,

CDSEO solves seo friendly URLs and meta tags.
Rich Google Search Results mod is something very different.

You need both. At the very least, you want CDSEO. There are many many many threads and discussions about it.

Jon's post in this thread was about making CDSEO create the correct URLs for the RGSR mod.

I updated, but I do not think it's working just yet... or it could be a RGSR mod issue. You can be assured that I will share what I know as soon as I figure it out.

Jeremy
Old 02-05-2013, 06:29 PM

Veteran

This is not a yes/no on the new QT installer or work but it does work ok on stock XC. If any file that needs to be patched has been modified the installer fails. I had to install new QT modules at least dozens of times so far and every time I end up doing manual installation. Yes the XC upgrades different as it reports every single file in the upgrade. So If you have to compare QT modules installer to XC upgrade installer - the module installer sucks. It is of course great help if it runs smoothly but that is probably 10% of the time, no more, and I am being generous.

The following user thanks cflsystems for this useful post:
carpeperdiem (02-05-2013)
Old 02-05-2013, 09:06 PM

X-Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by anandat
Thanks for the offer .....I want to buy this module can any one QT confirm that it works with CDSERO Pro ?

I've provided you an upgrade to the latest version which you can download from your Licenses Area at http://www.websitecm.com/licenses.php

The following 2 users thank Jon for this useful post:
anandat (02-05-2013), carpeperdiem (02-05-2013)
Old 02-05-2013, 10:46 PM

X-Cart team

Steve and Jeremy, I agree with you to some extent on the installer question. I didn't say that there is nothing to improve. However, saying that automatic installer sucks only because it's automatic seems a bit strange to me. If automatic installer fails you can always perform a manual installation by following instructions from "module_name/.patches" folder and a corresponding SQL queries from "sql/" folder.

As I've already mentioned, we will take the "patch failed" idea into consideration. However, it's important to comprehend that it won't solve not patched files issue and one will still have to patch files manually.

It concerns not Rich Google Search Results installer, but all X-Cart modules, so I hope we stop our "installer" discussion here (as it's irrelevant to RGSR) and you open a new thread if necessary.
Old 02-05-2013, 10:51 PM

Veteran

YOu are right - not the thread to discuss this here. Actually my bad - I agree - suck is a strong word and not in place here. But I wanted to point out how way better the XC upgrade script is compare to the new modules installer. I also agree with you - auto installation is way better then manual but again - XC upgrade reports all files and changes in them... Anyway - I am out on this topic in this thread
Old 02-05-2013, 11:01 PM

X-Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon
I've provided you an upgrade to the latest version which you can download from your Licenses Area at http://www.websitecm.com/licenses.php
Jon,
Thank you very much
Now this call real customer care...looking forward to do more business with you
---------------
Server: Linux
php: 5.3
mysql: 5.0.89
----------------
Old 02-05-2013, 11:09 PM

X-Cart team

Quote:
Originally Posted by cflsystems
YOu are right - not the thread to discuss this here. Actually my bad - I agree - suck is a strong word and not in place here. But I wanted to point out how way better the XC upgrade script is compare to the new modules installer. I also agree with you - auto installation is way better then manual but again - XC upgrade reports all files and changes in them... Anyway - I am out on this topic in this thread

Nothing to argue about, we will think how to improve it and make it more convenient.
Old 02-06-2013, 08:27 AM

X-Guru

followup...

I contacted Alexander and he had Danila solve this. There were defects in the Books and Magazine skin files. We can disregard the fix in post #69 now -- there were minor structural changes in how the templates were called from the Books and Magazine skin files and some template calls were added/removed.

I guess I was the first Books and Magazine skin based site to buy this module.
I guess nobody tested this mod with Books and Magazine skin.

That's a few hours I will never get back.

I'm happy the module was fixed for Books and Magazine skin.
I'm not happy I had to be the one to discover it.

As for the public flogging of the installer script: I stand by my opinion. A script that only offers success or abort with no option to fix what's broken is an ineffective script and I'd rather have a bunch of files with manual instructions before an all or nothing script that doesn't work if one line of template code is moved.

Let's see if Google indexes my site soon.

The module's docs (lack of) discussion of Customer Reviews vs. ACR (omission of ACR) needs to be addressed. Danila told me that ACR already has all the hooks in place. SO this means that all file edits to Customer Review module are moot. And the config checkbox settings also appear to be meaningless if you have ACR. Hopefully the dev team for this module will make these fixes.
Old 02-06-2013, 08:41 AM

X-Guru

Where is RGSR mod getting the

<meta property="og:description" content="&lt;strong&gt;Both lipliner and lipgloss together in one product!&lt;/strong&gt;" />

Should this be something we have control over?
How is the mod parsing this from the description? Should we have control over this per product?
Shouldn't it strip html from the description code?

I'm not convinced this mod is doing the rich snippets in the best possible way.

I'm now playing with my html source.
More to follow.
Old 02-06-2013, 09:15 AM

eXpert

I came across this same issue with the description. The mod takes the first part of the product description and uses it in the page.
I didn't want this as the first part of the product description is not really about the actual product.

I removed the description from the template as I didn't want google to use this.
You could always mod the code to use the CDSEO meta description?
Steve
product_metatags41x
shipping_per_product41x

http://www.earthsmagic.com
   X-Cart forums > News and Announcements