Follow us on Twitter X-Cart on Facebook Wiki
Shopping cart software Solutions for online shops and malls

Using a different template for checkout pages

X-Cart forums > X-Cart 4 > Dev Questions > Changing design

Old 11-04-2002, 10:36 PM

Default Using a different template for checkout pages

I am using the latest x-cart pro version.

I was wondering if there is a way to use a different template for certain customer pages. For example if I want my "checkout" pages to look different (and use a different template) is there a way to do it... or do all customer pages have to use the same template?

Any help would be appreciated.

Bahman
Old 11-05-2002, 03:12 PM

Advanced Member

Default Changing templates?

I'm not sure exactly what you are asking, but the answer is yes

X-Cart is a typical PHP application that uses a single "framework" in conjunction with variables to provide a consistent look and feel to the site, but allowing for dynamic content based upon the variables.

You will want to start by looking at home.tpl in the "customer" template directory. In that template you will see where variables are being checked and the corresponding templates are being included.

Most of the PHP code calls back to this home.tpl template to preserve that consistent look. If you wanted one or more parts of your site to shift to a different format than that of the rest of the site, you will want to modify the appropriate php file to call a different template than home.tpl (you will typically see a $smarty->display("customer/home.tpl"); at the end of the php file.

If you give me more specifics as to what you are trying to do, I may be of more help.
Old 11-05-2002, 05:49 PM

Default It worked

Derrick -

Thank you very much. Your advice did the trick. I was able to make the product page and checkout pages use a different template.

FYI - What I am trying to do, is to remove a bunch of the navigation etc. from the cart and checkout pages in order to simplify them. The reason is that I figure, I don't want a navigation and other links "distracting" a customer once they have put a product into the cart and are ready to buy it.

Bahman
Old 11-05-2002, 09:34 PM

Advanced Member

Default Decreasing complexity

I'm glad that was a help. From what you described, it sounds like you could do some conditional checks in the existing customer/home.tpl to suppress some of the menu options if you are in the "checkout" process. You have a very good idea, as many customers like to "wander" when you want them to focus on the checkout process. I have dealt with lots of issues while customers are bouncing around with the "back" and "forward" buttons, especially when going in and out of the secure server during checkout.

Let me know if I can be of any help.
   X-Cart forums > X-Cart 4 > Dev Questions > Changing design